Which seats for potential 3 across 2002 Honda Accord?

U

Unregistered

My dd is about 25 lbs and currently in an Evenflo Triumph, and my ds is 15 lbs and almost 26" so about to outgrow his Peg Perego. We plan on having more children eventually, so being able to fit 3 across would be nice.
My head is totally spinning. I had been thinking about either Britax Marathon or a Radian for ds, but seeing the Radian installation reviews makes me nervous about that. Britax is sort of out of our price range, though we could do it. My parents have also offered to buy the Evenflo to use in their car, since it's honking wide, so we could get two totally new seats.
Elsewhere in the internet parenting world, I've seen a lot of elitism, that Britax is the end-all and be-all and nothing else would be quite safe enough. But browsing here, it seems like there are cheaper and still safe options out there. I want my kids to be safe without spending a fortune. Please help!

ADS

Tara

I can't recall the measurements on the Cosco Scenera, but I believe it might be an option (cheaper than Britax too) Then there's the Fisher Price ones.. Voyager I think it's called? I keep forgetting. Anyway, it's just a watered down Marathon, for less $ So if a Marathon (or two or whatever) would work in a 3 across in that car, I would think the chances are high the FPs would as well.
Then, yeah, there's the Radian with it's install issues.

Maybe a Scenera for younger and ... a combo seat Bolero or something for the elder? I don't know the measurements on those either, sorry. I'm not much help am I? LOL I need to get my facts down on the seats.

Someone wanna keep my crew for a few hours so I can play with the seats at BRU ??

Splash

Car Seat Measurements

How far into the future is this potential third child?

I wouldn't buy my seats NOW based on a child I might have in the future, but that's just me.

But two sceneras will keep them RF for a very long time, and be a good option.
I don't think Britax is an elitist issue. It's the best. Now, peg perego I would call an elitist item (don't mean that as a dig, that's just what I think about their seats), or a Lexus SUV. But not a car seat that is easy to install, easy to use, lasts much longer, and consistently ranks among the top in safety.

Tara

Oh yeah..Scenera RF for elder as well..I wasn't paying attention to the weight. I need to stay away from this computer for a while...I'm getting careless in my responses ;)

U

Unregistered

FWIW...

The Honda Accord is "basically" the same as an Acura TL, and the Radian installs well in Acura TLs with both LATCH (outboard-only) and the lap/shoulder belt. I also remember way back in the beginning of the year someone posted they got a rock-solid install with a Radian using LATCH in a 2002 or 2004 Honda Accord.

U

Unregistered

Previous poster here:

I forgot to add that I was just pointing out the Radian because it's less expensive than a Britax seat, and they are great for 3-across carseat situations.

U

Unregistered

Splash said:
Now, peg perego I would call an elitist item (don't mean that as a dig, that's just what I think about their seats)
Don't worry, I didn't pick it. The peg perego is a reliable hand me down, manufactured mid 2003 and given to me mid 2004. I'm not all that impressed, as I spend a lot of time straightening straps.

K

kellyotn

I think some people may buy a Britax because of elitism, "so and so said its the best, so I got one". But, around here, its NOT about elitism. A big Britax (the 65 lb ones) last a child until 5-6 years!! That's really a good value in the world of baby gear. Many smaller convertibles are outgrown by 2 years. Longevity is a huge factor that is hard to visualize until you are car seat shopping for a 2-3 year old who is too big for their convertible, but far too young for a booster.

Top that with the fact that they comfy, high-quality, tested extensively, tethers rear facing, and yeah cute - sign me up. ;)

Honestly, the best seat is the one YOU like and can use right every time. The recommendations from techs and others in-the-know I see here and on another board - a big Britax at $220 and up, or a Cosco Scenera 5 point at a mere $40!! A Scenera is a really nice seat, I'm floored that its also so cheap.

If the Radian works in that car, and it sounds like it may, that would be a very good option as its very narrow and has high limits. Are you close to a BRU to try things out? They won't have the Radian, but will have MA's so you can see how much room is left between them.

I'm kinda with Splash though, new seats are coming out all the time, so maybe when you actually need three across there will be something new out. Put the baby in the Triumph, put DS in a Scenera or a MA and worry about the third seat later. :)

HTH

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC