True Fit crotch buckle

ElaynesMom

I don't know if this has been asked before, sorry if it has. I recently tried my 13 month old dd in the True Fit. The one I tried her in only has the 2 crotch buckle positions. The manual said not to have the crotch buckle strap under her body. I also emailed Learning Curve and was told the same thing; that the crotch buckle could not be under her body. Position one of the crotch buckle was under her body, but she was able to use position two . My worry is that if she is already at position two at 13 months, where will the crotch buckle be 3 years from now? Can I truly not use this seat at all if the crotch buckle in position 2 is under her body? If so, why would this be? I would email Learning Curve again, but after dealing with them the last time I had questions, I'd rather pull my hair out. TIA.

ADS

April

I just got a TF last week and had the same concern. I was actually quite hesitant to buy it for that reason. My 2yo is on the second position and its *almost* under him. However, my 3yo AND 5.5yo both have lots of room on the second position. Its the diaper ;) Once you put a kid in undies they've got lots of room. Seems silly, but its true! :p

This is going to sound a little funny, but look at the crotch area of my 2yo in this picture. You'll see that its about as tight as it can get without being under him:

RileyTF.jpg

Once I tried the older two in it, they both fit perfectly fine in the crotch area. My 3yo wearing panties had about an inch of space between the crotch strap on the second position and her actual "crotch". Griffin is right even with the top harness slots and the crotch strap still wasn't under him.

ElaynesMom

Thanks so much for the reply. :) I guess I just worry about an older toddler still in diapers not fitting properly. I don't particularly love this seat, or the customer service that goes along with it. Luckily my dd has lost weight and so doesn't need a new seat yet, so we'll see what's around when she does need a new one I suppose. Again, thanks for the helpful response.

72msfish

you have the same question i had yesterday! here is my message quoted from the other thread titled "another car seat question"

ok. i went to babies r us and tried my bean sprout in both the ma and the tf. loved them both when they were on the shelf but...what's with the tf crotch strap? i put him in there and he sat directly on top of it in the #1 position (for rf). his poor little "boys" would get squished...right? it just didn't look like it would be comfy, especially as he grows. is that how it really is supposed to go? the #2 position looked better but isn't that supposed to be for ff? :confused:

i ended up buying a ma for him but i really liked the tf. the store says i have 90 days to return it if i change my mind. i had a hard time justifying spending the extra $100 just to give the "boys" more room!

thanks for the help!
kim

my bean sprout is only 4 mo. old. i couldn't figure out how he'd have any growing room with the #1 position and rear facing.

i installed the marathon into the car today and i have no regrets on the purchase. it's so tight in there and i love the rf tether strap. absolutely worth the extra $.

kim
mommy to :love: :
rosebud (3 yrs) ff in eb aoe @ 26# & 36"
bean sprout (4 mo) rf in new ma @ 17# & 26"

ElaynesMom

I'd love to get the MA but I'm in Canada so it only rf to 30 lbs :( I know we have a few other seats being tested to 35 lbs rf though so hopefully they will be available by the time my dd needs a new seat. It was too bad Britax didn't up the rf weight limits when they recently had the chance.

Last edited:

sparkyd

I'd love to get the MA but I'm in Canada so it only rf to 35 lbs :( I know we have a few other seats being tested to 35 lbs rf though so hopefully they will be available by the time my dd needs a new seat.

Just wanted to clarify that in Canada the Marathon only goes to 30 lbs. The only seat that goes to 35 lbs is the True Fit. I think that was what you meant!

72msfish

i just found out on another thread that the tf has two models...one with a 2 position buckle and one with a 3 position buckle. i would have bought the 3! my bru store didn't know a thing about the tf so how would anyone know that there was another option! :mad: how can a store have the seat and know nothing about it! shameful! :eek:

Wineaux

We only know about it because our board members posted about getting different crotch straps. We don't know if either the 2-position or 3-position crotch straps are now standard, or if some stores only purchased specific ones. The Learning Curve has been rather silent on this issue as well.

Methinks it might be time to get the scheduled for a CEU Chat soon Darren. Especially with the new Anti-Rebound Bar model coming. We all want to know more about THAT!

ElaynesMom

Yeah, not sure why they would decide on only 2 positions when they were obviously able to manufacture a seat with 3 positions :shrug-shoulders:. It would have been much nicer to have the third position IMO.

Wineaux

I'm guessing two different suppliers, or that one is a bit cheaper wholesale. I'd bet it was the first of the two though.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Or the 2-position seats are older and they are selling off those before every seat becomes a 3-position. Ahem, canada seems to get a lot of older or left-over stock (from many manufactures). There I said it :)

solmama

I have a Truefit with a 3 position buckle (yay!) and the DOM is 01/08. I'm guessing that it's one of the "older" ones, so who knows.

jess71903

Ambassador
I have a Truefit with a 3 position buckle (yay!) and the DOM is 01/08. I'm guessing that it's one of the "older" ones, so who knows.

Same here. I was mad about the 1/08 DOM at first (bought in August) but I am glad to have the 3 position one.

arly1983

Same here. I was mad about the 1/08 DOM at first (bought in August) but I am glad to have the 3 position one.

LOL, I am the opposite, I have a 4/08 DOM and a 2 position one. Doesn't bother me much. She has an inch to go with a diaper on at 36 lbs/25 months. J has more room at 42 lbs/3.5, no diaper.

MontecitoGal

Oh no!

I thought we were all set with TF and now I'm reading that the crotch strap may only have 2 adjustments instead of 3?

I put our 6 month old, 20lbs, 27.5" son in one last weekend and I thought "wow...this crotch thing is tight". But because I'd read about the crotch strap adjustments I just assumed the 3.

BRU only carries the colors I don't want (misty & aurora) so I wouldn't be buying from there.

I guess I now need to email all the sites selling this to see if their seats are 2 or 3 crotch strap adjust-capable.

Bother...bother!

fyrfightermomma

LOL, I am the opposite, I have a 4/08 DOM and a 2 position one. Doesn't bother me much. She has an inch to go with a diaper on at 36 lbs/25 months. J has more room at 42 lbs/3.5, no diaper.

Mine is 3/08 and only two. I don't think there is a rhyme or reason to what has which.

mommycat

How does the buckle compare to the MA? I have both but barely ever see the MA as it is in g-ma's car. That only has 1 position, right? So is there issues with that, too, or is the TF issue just that the manual says it needs to not be under the child? (And as for that, doesn't the RN strap need to be under or at, but not in front of? Why is there no set rule for these like there is for shoulder straps?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC