Convertible carseat for newborn....

G

grisaleen

I've been scouring these boards all day, trying to answer my questions without having to post a new thread. I have a good idea on which convertibles are recommended around here, and why, but now I'd like to get opinions for my situation.

I'm due in two weeks with my first child, and we are all quite confident that she's going to be around 9 lbs. I have no use for the infant carseat and would like to simply start out with a convertible. We have a 96 Stratus and a 95 Grand Cherokee, so no latch system. I would prefer to get two seats because I'd like to install the seats once and not have to worry about redoing them correctly. For the most part, budget isn't an issue, but two Britaxes might be stretching it.

I see that the Scenera is recommended highly for newborns because it has very low harness positions. Also, the Fisher Price Britax is getting some good feedback, but how do I find out the measurements for those harness positions?

Would you recommend getting two seats that are identical (assuming they fit in both vehicles) or buying a Britax, etc., for my car and buying a cheaper model for my husband's Jeep? I'm aware that either way I'll still have to buy a booster seat later, but by that time we'll probably have another child, and then we'll have to reassess our needs anyway.

(Also, when I search for the scenera, I get two results. Which one are you referring to? http://www.shoplocal.com/default.as...&searchtext=Cosco+Scenera+car+seat+&geotest=a )

Thank you!

ADS

skaterbabs

I would suggest buying two Sceneras (which, btw, fits great RF in my 96 cherokee!), using them to the max RF and using the 2+ years the baby can RF in them to save up for a Regent or whatever is available at that time.

U

Unregistered

I think I would go for Scenera's. They have low slots for infants and rear face to 35lbs. It's best to keep children rear facing until the max weight limit on the seat, regardless of their age.

I also have a Grand Cherokee and the Scenera fits great!

I see in the link you posted there are the OHS (over the head shield) Scenera's and the 5pt harness Scenera's. DO NOT purchase the shield seat! They are very very dangerous, especially for a newborn baby! A 5pt harness is MUCH safer.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Clarinda isn't that far from Omaha if you need a bigger selection. Is baby going to be in one car more than the other? I would probably get a Briatx Boulevard for the car you'll use more often and then the 5pt Scenera for the other car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC