best car seat for travel (USA seat ok)?

mamoomorgan

We will be flying to Mexico this winter and will take car seats for our two younger dd's. Right now they're in a MA and a TF and we're thinking we'd rather take smaller lighter seats for the trip.
Neither girl will be even close to 40lbs by then, they can both be ff (for the trip I'd be ok with the 2yo ff) and we're flying out of the U.S. We would have basically no use for the seats after the trip so we want to spend as little as possible. The seats will be used on the airplane and then in taxis so ease of installation is important, built in lock-offs would be awesome.
And like I said, the seats can be from the US as we'll only use them for the trip.
Any ideas?

TIA,

ADS

canmom

Only my opinion but I think I would just take their seats... sorta a waste to buy a seat for one trip? Other than the Radian (becasue it folds up) but they aren't cheap so I don't know?? I am not sure how much better another seat would be for travel. The other thing for me is, Mexicans can be crazy drivers... I wouldn't want my kids in cheap seats there of all places(MIL & FIL live there). JMHO.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Rental cars may, if they're North American market vehicles and especially ones that are manufactured in Mexico.. eg. Volkswagen..? Taxis may be an issue. That's why we took to renting when travelling, and requesting seatbelts back before seatbelts were put into the rear of vehicles where we were.

-N.

Eclipsepearl

Is it possible to swap seats with friends? What do car seat techs think of this?

I've seen it a lot with the expat families here in France, especially with the second, least-used seat. For example, Family A has one child riding in a Marathon. Family B has two children, one of whom is in a similar seat but they have a Scenera for the second car. They swap the Scenera for the Marathon while Family A is visiting the States. Family A has an easier time lugging the Scenera around than the Marathon while the child in Family B gets a cushier ride in dad's car.

Known history, not expired, not like buying off Craigslist, etc.

Someone tell me if this is a no-no.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The best way I can put this is...

Do you trust these friends with your child's life? Are they aware enough of the concerns over used carseats/carseats with unknown histories, etc? Will they respect your wishes and take the seat on board the plane and NOT check it?

There may be other things to consider, but it's late :)

-N.

mamoomorgan

Thanks everyone, I guess at this point I'll plan on buying two sceneras and either save them for possible use on another trip or donate them in Wa. state. Safekids? Is that the best place to donate them to?

Thanks, Morgan.

bubbaray

Are you sure that the taxis where you are going in Mexico will have belts? That has not been our experience in Mexico.

What about a RideSafer vest for possible use in the taxis and the CARES harness for the plane?

mamoomorgan

I'm pretty sure, we had no problem with that last year. Yes there were older less safe looking taxis as well, but having four kids we always chose the vans/suburbans and they all had seat belts. We actually had a bigger problem with the airport shuttles in the US. The hotel we booked in Phoenix said they were "right by the airport" which was not true, it was a 25min drive in traffic. And the seat belts had the longest stalks I've ever seen and I could not for the life of me install the seats. My kids rode carseat-less and I sweated bullets. Grrrr.
Luckily this time we don't have a layover so that won't be an issue.
I'll look in to the ride safer vest, not sure what it is. I like the seat idea because they're used to being in a car seat and it will make it easier to sleep on the plane and on the long car ride.

Thanks again for all the response,
Morgan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC