Need infant seat suggestion--most recline

courtfrog2

I got a call from a mom who has a 2 week old baby in a graco seat. Not sure what kind. She said no matter what they try, the babies head slouches too much. The baby has apnea and the pediatrician told her that it's not safe.

Besides a car bed.. .is there any suggestion on a seat that reclines more than the other ones?

Thanks

ADS

crunchierthanthou

All infant seats recline to a maximum 45 degrees. Are they using rolled blankets or towels on the sides of the baby's head to add support? Do you know what vehicle it is in? Do they have the base all the way extended? They may need to add a pool noodle section or rolled towel under the base to acheive the full recline. If they have it properly reclined with adequate support and the baby's head is still slumping to the point of breathing issues then they really should look into a carbed- provided the child is still small enough. Most only go to 10 or 11 lbs and are relatively short.

courtfrog2

That's what I suggested. The baby is hypotonic. I'm not familiar with it. She is actually making an appt with a tech around here otherwise a carbed...

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Hypotonic is low muscle tone. And it may be causing the problem.

Have her make sure the baby's bottom is all the way back in the seat, and use a rolled washcloth between the baby and the crotch strap. The Graco crotch strap sits out pretty far, and allows baby to scootch forward. (especially a low-tone baby) This will curve her spine and force her chin to her chest even if the recline is perfect. Also, make sure that there is NOTHING behind baby's head pushing it forward, even the Graco head support.

If that doesn't help, it would be acceptable to over-recline the seat a degree or two until a car bed can be found. It is highly unlikely a seat rated for 20+lbs would over-rotate in a crash when occupied by a newborn, and in this case, protecting the airway needs to come first.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
If the baby is small enough, I wonder if a seat with built in supports---like the KeyFit or the Safety1st OnBoard(?) would work better for this baby.

Susan

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Agree with all pp on making sure the seat the seat is properly reclined for a newborn. A seat with more support may help, especially the new Safety First On Board. I don't think her head would be able to move at all in that seat.

If needed, there are 2 carbeds on the market. The Angel Ride only goes to 9 pounds and 21.5 inches, so its really best for the tiny preemies. The Cosco Dreamride is rated 5-20 pounds. It is total PITB to install and takes up 2 seating positions (outboard and middle). If she needs a carbed, a qualified CPST should help with the installation and I would not recommend moving the seat once installed (not using it as a carrier).

Is the baby being evaluated for the cause of the hypotonia and apnea? I would be concerned about apnea in other situations besides the carseat.

Renee

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC