Scary misuse

xxluckychicxx

My car broke down earlier today so I called a friend to come and pick me up. When she showed up she had her 18 month old DD in a nasty Cosco NBB with the shoulder belt behind her back :eek:. On top of that the booster didnt even have a cover on it. Talk about uncomfortable! I said something about it and she explained that she took her sisters SUV to come and get me because it would be easier to get 3 across in and it was one of her twin 3 year old nieces seats and that her DD was 30lbs so she fit the criteria :rolleyes:. Oh and the seat for the other twin? A Fisher Price T-Shield booster :eek:. This lady is a social worker and drives a very nice new Ford SUV (dont know what model), so what is she thinking???

ADS

clmchrissy

hmm... and we wonder why there was that whole issue w/ DHS & foster kid abuse? They can't even take care of their own kids! Anyway...

18 mo is WAAAY too young to put in any type of booster. I can't believe the LO stayed in it.

xxluckychicxx

hmm... and we wonder why there was that whole issue w/ DHS & foster kid abuse? They can't even take care of their own kids! Anyway...

18 mo is WAAAY too young to put in any type of booster. I can't believe the LO stayed in it.

I went over to this lady's house and it was insane! The twins were everywhere all over my DD and didnt listen to the mom AT ALL. The house was dirty, the kids were dirty, she was yelling, it just wasnt a good situation. I was thinking "Wow, and this lady is allowed to tell other parents how to raise their kids???"

I said something like "Wow, I cant believe she stays in it, DS would never sit still. I would always worry about him climbing out while I was driving". That's when she told me that it was her sister's SUV and that she just didnt feel like installing her DD's car seat because it wasnt a far drive and she fit the weight requirement :rolleyes:.

xxluckychicxx

Yes weigth limit, but what about age limit.

Apparently she missed that one :rolleyes:. I was talking to her today about going to the fair and she said that I could ride with her, that she'd just put LO in a booster so that my kids' car seats could fit. Gee thanks for offering to sacrifice your own child, but I think I'll just drive and meet you there!

Wineaux

Yes! It is ALWAYS, "my car my rules" when it comes to child passenger safety. As for your friend with the 18 month old in a NBB... Call 911 on her the next time she's on the road with her DD like that. Seriously. Sometimes people need to be awakened rather forcefully to the law when it comes to child restraints.

xxluckychicxx

My question is though (as I'm sure everyone else's):

How can the mom think this is safe?!?! A nbb with the shoulder belt behind her back :mad:. And when the LO actually rides in a carseat the straps are extremely loose and dont even go over her shoulders and she has a belly clip. Does the mom really think that this little girl isnt going to be ejected in a wreck???

As I was installing my kids' seats in her car she was questioning what I was doing and why (LATCH, checking for movement, tightening harness, positioning chest clip, etc). I explained each step and why it had to be done. She kind of roller her eyes and glanced at her DD and then got in the drivers seat. :hitselfonhead:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC