Durango TAs

NannyMom

I have a 2000 Durango. We bought it used, and it does have TAs. I don't know if they were retrofitted or there at manufacture. My 2nd row has a 40/20/40 split. The TAs are bolted onto the floor behind the 2 outboard seats. If they're on the floor, not the seat, why can't there be one in the middle?? Just something I was wondering :)

ADS

crunchierthanthou

They were retrofitted. TAs weren't factory installed in the Durango until the 2001 MY.

Does your owner's manual say anything about not using the center position for child seats? I seem to remember something quirky about the Durango. The LATCH manual lists it as N/A for the center, which is odd. Usually if the anchor is just not available for a position it will say None. N/A is generally used when there isn't a seat there (like a 4 seater coupe).

NannyMom

THe owner's manual do not say not to use a child seat in the center (unless I totally skipped over it :confused:). I looked specifically because one of the CPST-Is said to look after I'd mentioned how some seats slip into the cracks RF (I haven;t really tried FF yet). I know if we're not careful Sofi's Titan will fall into the cracks, and so did the Scenera. As long as we keep the seat centered it's ok.

I was thinking today it'd be perfect to just keep a harnessed seat there because it's a lap belt. But....maybe not w/o a TA. Just always a RF seat only :)

Also....does anyone know if I can get TAs for the 3rd row? I didn't think I could put seats back there (the manula doesn't say anything), but I tried the Scenera and it fit with the 80/20 rule.

THis is DH's truck and I only use it on occasion for work (if my van is being worked on). So it's not like I really NEED rear TAs.

NannyMom

Hmm, the Dodge section of the LATCH manual doesn't have a listing for a 2000 Durango with a third row. It's only listed as a two row vehicle for that model year in the LATCH manual. :confused:

Hmm....the owner's manual says 2000 and we were told 2000 when we bought it. When DH comes home I'll double check what's actually marked on the truck and see what it says. And there deffinetly is a 3rd row. Just very small :)

sunnymw

I have a 2003 Durango with the 40/20/40 split. I've tried a Boulevard, RADIAN, Comfortsport, Uptown, and Snugride in the center.

It is literally 110% impossible to get anything installed there. It will not get tight b/c it will sit on top of the buckle stalks for the other 2 seats... and obvioulsy you won't be able to use the other seats at all :) Trust me. I've spent hours on this. HOURS. I cried. It ain't happening.

:D

NannyMom

I had a Scenera RF, and it covered 1 buckle. I have the Titan RF now and can still use the other 2 buckles. I really like the SS1 because I could still use both buckles :) Maybe they just won't work FF :rolleyes:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No, that would be a 2000 model if it was built in January of 2000 most likely, and that also matches the model year you said was on the owner's manual that came with your Durango. The LATCH manual must have left out a 3 row version of the Durango for the 2000 model year, or your Durango somehow has an optional or aftermarket third row in it. :twocents: You should scrutinize your owner's manual to see if it says anything about tether anchors in the third row or if it mentions any possibility of adding third row tether anchors. You could also try to contact Dodge corporate (the number is in the LATCH manual section I linked you to earlier in the thread) or a Dodge dealership to see if they have a tether anchor part listed for the third row and cite the service bulletin number listed in the LATCH manual for retrofitting Dodge models when you call. :twocents:

crunchierthanthou

It may be a 2001 since MY can be six months or more ahead of manufacturing dates. That January date is ambiguous though. 2001s both have factory installed TAs and a third row.

If it is indeed a 2001, it has TAs for the third row as well. They are the square rings near the rear scuff plate.

I wonder if it is encoded in the VIN or if there's somewhere you can call with that to find out just what year it is. When I was in the Dodge dealer last week, they knew the airbag had a recall on it just by entering the VIN.

NannyMom

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing those long ago (before my carseat addiction) and thinking "oh, Tether anchors". I'll have to call Dodge tomorrw and see what they can tell me. I would deffinetly want to make sure they are TAs before I used them as such :)

Which leads me to another question.... Why can't cargo tie downs usually be used as TAs? I have some metal bars in the back of my Sienna (on driver's side) that look like they'd be good TAs :confused: I would never use them unless Toyota approved it...but I do wonder....

sunnymw

I know this sounds like an odd ?, but can you take pics of your 2nd row TAs for me? I couldn't find mine for the life of me... I had to read about them in the book and it turns out they are supposedly PART of the bottom of the seat... (I still haven't actually found them since I need a flashlight or some free time during daylight hours, lol). I'm wondering if yours are the same as mine. :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If cargo anchors are meant to be used as tether anchors, the owner's manual should indicate that, and I would start there first, with calling the manufacturer being step 2 if need be for further clarification. :) Cargo anchors and tether anchors are only synonymous if the manual or manufacturer says they are, and it can totally vary from vehicle model to vehicle model. Cargo anchors have no FMVSS, unlike tether anchors, and some cargo anchors aren't designed to bear much other than smaller items in a lightweight cargo net, for example. I'm not sure what black bars you're talking about in the back of your Sienna. :confused: The actual tether anchors are on the lower back of all of the rear seats except for the third row driver's side in the '04 and newer Siennas. There are silver brackets below the Sienna's rear cargo sill and those silver brackets are intended to hold an optional cargo net, not to serve as tether anchors.

NannyMom

I know this sounds like an odd ?, but can you take pics of your 2nd row TAs for me? I couldn't find mine for the life of me... I had to read about them in the book and it turns out they are supposedly PART of the bottom of the seat... (I still haven't actually found them since I need a flashlight or some free time during daylight hours, lol). I'm wondering if yours are the same as mine. :)

I didn't find mine until I flipped the seats :) Let me go try and take a pic....

NannyMom

If cargo anchors are meant to be used as tether anchors, the owner's manual should indicate that, and I would start there first, with calling the manufacturer being step 2 if need be for further clarification. :) Cargo anchors and tether anchors are only synonymous if the manual or manufacturer says they are, and it can totally vary from vehicle model to vehicle model. Cargo anchors have no FMVSS, unlike tether anchors, and some cargo anchors aren't designed to bear much other than smaller items in a lightweight cargo net, for example. I'm not sure what black bars you're talking about in the back of your Sienna. :confused: The actual tether anchors are on the lower back of all of the rear seats except for the third row driver's side in the '04 and newer Siennas. There are silver brackets below the Sienna's rear cargo sill and those silver brackets are intended to hold an optional cargo net, not to serve as tether anchors.

I know where my TAs are on the Sienna (2008). ANd I know there is none for the 3rd row DS. But...I still wish this black bars in the cargo area could be used (though yes, I am a tech and I understand they can't be).

As for the Durango, I don't remember reading anything in the manual about the 3rd row and TAs. Maybe because it's a 2000 manual and I'm not supposed to have a 3rd row lol

NannyMom

Ok, here are pics of my TAs.

This is the 2nd row DS TA. Below the TA is actually part of the 2nd row seatback, folded down. I couldn't fold the seat much because of DD's RF seat installed center. What is above the TA is the dirty floor behind the 2nd row :) WHen the seatback is upright, the TA sticks up stright, even with the back of the seatback...but it's on the floor.
DTA1.jpg

This is with the camera upside down, over the seatback. Not sure how to explain this. lol I think what is below the TA is what's on the floor behind it. But..that looks a bit odd.
DTA2.jpg

This is what I think is my 3rd row anchor PS. It looks like it's screwed into plastic, but I hope it's screwed into the frane below. And as a disclaimer, I won't use this until I'm 100% sure it is a TA.
DTA3.jpg

Does this help you find your TAs?? If you flip the 2nd row seats it should be easier to see them :)

Mommy2Five

Keep us posted about the 3rd row anchors! I had the dealership tell me that they were usable as TAs too, but wasn't completely convinced...

And FWIW I've had Lots of different seats in our 2nd row center, and several even 3 across.. and never had any issues with them "falling" into the creases..

crunchierthanthou

Keep us posted about the 3rd row anchors! I had the dealership tell me that they were usable as TAs too, but wasn't completely convinced...

what year is your durango? According to the LATCH manual, the square cargo hooks in the scuff plate are indeed TAs for 01-03 MYs only.

OT, but Nannymom I just noticed your signature. Did you get certified?

NannyMom

My Durango is a 2000, manufacture date Jan 2000 (as per the sticker on the driver's door). But the LATCH book doesn't even mention 3rd row in a 2000 Durango, does it?

Here is the only thing I could find in my owner's manual...

Child Restraint Tether Anchor
Some child seat manufacturers reccomend the use of a top anchorage (tether) strap in addition to the lap belt. Your vehicle has tether strap anchorages behind the rear seating positions for use with these child seats. Your dealer can provide you with anchorage hardware and installation instructions.

Were my 2nd row TAs retrofitted wrong? The Latch book says they should be on the back of the seat. Mine are on the floor.

Mommy2Five

what year is your durango? According to the LATCH manual, the square cargo hooks in the scuff plate are indeed TAs for 01-03 MYs only.

When we bought it (used) we were told 2000, but the dealer seems to think 2001 (as we also have the 3rd row seating) so it's confusing.. I need to call Dodge and give them my VIN, but haven't yet..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC