Question booster, travel questions

U

Unregistered

Hello,
I will be travelling via airlplane alone with my then 15 month old 20lb daugther and 3 3/4 y/o 39 lb 41.5 inch son to Disney.

I will be renting a minivan at Disney (staying offsite and grandparents will be there for part of trip). I have decided not to try to get car seats from the rental car company in Florida after reading too many scary stories (even though I did do this with no problems once when my oldest was 8 months). My kids are in Boulevards at home (RF and FF). I plan to bring the Cosco Scenera back-up car seat that I have for my youngest since I can do it RF at her weight. I have a bag for it and plan to check it through as luggage.

What should I bring for my eldest? He is not 100% trustworthy with keeping straps on properly. I only could afford 2 plane seats so youngest will be on my lap for the flight, but I am most concerned about the car safety in Florida. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this seat if I may only use it for this trip and at most a few others. It has to be easy to travel with since I will have 2 kids, our luggage, one regular carseat, stroller, etc. on my own.

Also, if he can stay in his Boulevard until he is 65 lbs seems like I have a while to wait until I have to move him to a booster due to height limits. He is perfectly happy in his seat so I am not looking to change it. But, if I can buy something now that will serve my travel needs and then also be used when he outgrows the Bouelvard that would be great.

Thanks for any tips.

Colleen

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
If I were in your shoes, I'd get a small Ride Safer Travel vest, but you won't be able to use it on the plane with him.

jewlsvern

If I were in your shoes, I'd get a small Ride Safer Travel vest, but you won't be able to use it on the plane with him.

Just a thought, but would he fit FF in your DD Scenara? Then you could use it on the plane for him and then the Ride Safer Travel vest in the car for him and the Scenara for her. You said he was 39#. I don't know if he will be when you travel, but I threw it out as an option. That way you won't have to check you DD seat.

ktamp

We are flying to disney next week :) I have agonized over what seat to take and I think I am happy with this solution. I am taking our parkway and packing it in a suitcase. There is no practical way to pack it so that it is on top so I am going to let my son ride in the rental car's booster to the hotel which is approximately 1 mile from the airport. We are getting in late and spending our first night near the airport. There I will unpack the parkway and use it for the remainder of our trip.

capeKO71

Are the grandparents in FL already? Will they be picking you up at the airport (you said you were renting the car AT disney... or is it At the airport?)

If you do have grandparents in FL, you might want to bring a seat, like the Blvd for your older son to sit in on the plane, and then ship a seat to your In-laws... or have them pick up a seat at Walmart... just to make life easier on you.

Another option is to try to find a Safeguard Go Booster/harnessed seat - and pack it in your baggage... and use convertible for your older son on the plane... then swap... pull out the safeguard, install it ff for your older son and the boulevard rf for the baby.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. We will be travelling in a month so my son will likely be over 40# by then. Seems to vary between 39-40 on our home scale already (was 38 at MD office in July). So may be too big for Scenara and at or above the weight that FAA says ok for lap belt only.

I hadn't heard about the travel vest booster so that is a definite option--more than I would like to spend on something that is purely for travel, but may be the best choice. I can't imagine lugging my Boulevard there. I have to get through the airport with preschooler, toddler, and all our stuff on my own so am looking for lightweight easy to sling over my shoulder things. And I wouldn't want to put that through luggage since it is so darn expensive any damage would be awful. The Scenara is cheap yet safe and I have already gotten a bunch of use out of it on other flights and as back-up seat in other folks' cars. So the combo of Scenara and travel vest might be the best thing. Grandparents arrive the day after us so they won't be any help for this. I plan to rent the minivan from one of the airport rental places.

Thanks again for ideas thus far.
Colleen

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC