Rules about puzzling seats? (Did I do this right?)

Stresch

This weekend I installed a Marathon rearfacing outboard and a Keyfit center in my 97 Toyota Camry, both seatbelt installs (obviously).

If the Keyfit is on its base, they touch. That's okay, right? When the seat is out, the base doesn't touch the Marathon.

I can't change position of the Keyfit handle (at least not easily) when it's in the car, but that isn't a problem, right?

The Keyfit was installed first, completely solid. Then the Marathon was installed. Seemed pretty solid, took the Keyfit off the base, and was able to tighten the Marathon a little more (although it was under an inch of movement). Could still put the Keyfit on the base without trouble.

Other bits of info: Using the lockoff on the Keyfit, but not on the Marathon (it's never worked right). I have locking retractors. Marathon is tethered to the front seat leg.

It's not absolutely necessary that they be next to each other, but I really want them to be so one of us can sit in the back if needed. It's also why I got the Chicco instead of something less expensive.

I'm getting them checked on Weds.

Any input? Something I missed?

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It's ok if the seats touch. Since the Keyfit handle can be in any locked position in the car, it's ok that you can't move it once it's on the base.

You want both seats to have acceptable (less than 1" movement) installs if either seat is removed. So, if you remove the MA, the Keyfit should still have an acceptable install. If you remove the Keyfit (including the base), the MA should have an acceptable install.

crunchierthanthou

They can touch as long as they are both independently installed (meaning still less than 1" in any direction at the beltpath if you remove the other), which it sounds like they are.

The Keyfit handle can be in any locked position in the vehicle.

eta: jinx Danielle. :)

Stresch

Okay, so it sounds like I'm good then.

The Keyfit was in first and acceptable without the Marathon. I didn't touch it.

The Marathon doesn't move, and since it doesn't actually touch the base of the Keyfit, I can check by just removing the bucket part, right? That is, I could take the base of the Keyfit out without touching the Marathon, so the installation of the Marathon wouldn't change, and it's nice and tight.

Thanks so much for all the help (now and in the past).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC