Sienna questions

christineka

I know 2004 was the first year they had 8 passenger seating. What was the first year they also had shoulder belts, headrests, latch, and tether anchors in all six rear positions?

What seats are known to fit 3 across in the back bench?

ADS

sirrahn

I know 2004 was the first year they had 8 passenger seating. What was the first year they also had shoulder belts, headrests, latch, and tether anchors in all six rear positions?

There are headrests and shoulder belts in all 6 rear seats of the 8 passenger from '04 on, but there are only 5 sets of LATCH. There are no lower anchors or tether anchor for the 3rd row driver's side spot. I don't believe that has changed.

I'll have to let someone else answer the 3 across question as I've never tried it. I have had a passenger back there with two car seats and it's snug, but not terrible.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The '04 and newer 8-passenger Siennas have 5 full sets of LATCH (not 6), headrests, and lap-shoulder belts for all seating positions. The third row driver's side doesn't have lower LATCH anchors or a top tether anchor. The Successful three across thread has some Sienna entries, IIRC:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226

christineka

We test drove a 2006. I looked at the middle in the back and the passenger side. I guess I missed the passenger side.

So, is there any major differences between siennas from 2004 and 2006?

Are there any known problems with the sienna?

Should we be patient and save our money for a 2006, or is a 2004 just as good?

I'm still interested in 3 across the back seat.

Chameleon

I don't think there is any major difference. Of course I have a 2005 though. LOL I have fit a couple different 3 across the 3rd row including a Marathon and a FPSVD, and a BB (not a turbo though) I'm thinking about seeing if I can get my Parkway in there with two Britaxes. Hmm.

emandbri

I've done quite a few configurations on the back. All convertibles are forward facing.

radian, star riser, older child in seat belt.
radian, star riser, right fit

radian, marathon, and star riser.

the last one was a bit hard because Daniel couldn't buckle the star riser in, I had lean over and do it for him. In the future if I have to take a lot of kids I'm going to try to do 3 convertibles in the back instead of a booster for that reason.

Oh and if you get an 8 seater there is latch in the all three seats in the middle row.

christineka

I'm going to make a separate thread regarding car seats.

Now, I'd like to know if it is okay to get a roof rack and transport stuff on it. Dh noted that there is no storage under the seats. We are a family of 7 with plans for 8 and we like to go camping, preferably with chairs, cooler, tents, sleeping bags, and clothing.

Currently we have an aerostar with extended back and lots of room under the seats. We can (and do) bring just about everything but the kitchen sink and that's just visiting the in laws! We are willing to down size, but it has been nice to bring the pack'n play on vacation.

burnetta

Sienna owners - do the tether hooks for the 3rd row block the cargo area at all? In my Honda Odyssey the tether strap crosses the cargo area which is a bit of a pain when you're trying to fit something large like a double stroller back there.... Having only 1 set of latch & 1 tether anchor for the 3rd row is my only complaint about my HO (2005) Thanks!

wendy1221

I think the roof rack is standard. We have one on our Sienna and have used a soft luggage thing up there.

As for 3 across in the back, I have fit a Britax Boulevard and 2 Turboboosters back there as well as 2 Turbos and a Graco harnessed booster of some kind.

Jeanum

Staff member
We test drove a 2006. I looked at the middle in the back and the passenger side. I guess I missed the passenger side.

So, is there any major differences between siennas from 2004 and 2006?

Are there any known problems with the sienna?

Should we be patient and save our money for a 2006, or is a 2004 just as good?

2006 is the model year when front side torso airbags and side curtain airbags for all 3 rows became standard on all versions of the Sienna. Prior to that, side curtain airbags were optional on the 7 and 8-passenger LE models, not available at all on the CE models, and either optional or standard on the spendier 7-passenger XLE and XLE Limited models. If you want a Sienna equipped with side airbags, it may be harder to find a 2004 8-passenger LE model equipped with the optional side curtain airbags. If you do find one, I'd say go for it if the price, condition and mileage are right. :twocents: 2006 and newer Siennas also have a slightly more powerful engine with more horsepower compared to the '04-'05 models. I believe the fuel economy rating is about the same even with the more powerful engine. Other differences are purely cosmetic, IRRC, such as slight changes in the front grille and taillights, and silver dashboard trim instead of black trim in the LE models.

Our 2005 8-passenger model had a recall that affected the second row center seatbelt. I don't remember the exact details and it was a quick fix at the dealerhship while I had ours in for an oil change. I'm not aware of other known problems, but then again I don't hang out much any more on the Siennaclub.org Forums - I used to lurk there when we were minivan shopping, and you can find tons of useful info. there.

ETA: 2004 and newer Siennas are factory equipped with a roof rack. I don't recall the weight rating for the roof rack, but I'm betting you can find that info. over on the Sienna club forum. :)

christineka

I read that the 2006 was the first with side air bags. I'll have to keep an eye open for older ones then.

What is the latch limit for the Sienna?

emandbri

2006 is the model year when front side torso airbags and side curtain airbags for all 3 rows became standard on all versions of the Sienna. Prior to that, side curtain airbags were optional on the 7 and 8-passenger LE models

Yes, they can be hard to find with the side airbags. It took me a while to find mine and I then had it shipped from California to Kansas City. I loved carmax! If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have my dream van! lol Proud owner of a 2004, green, 8 seater, with side curtian air bags.

Jeanum

Staff member
Yes, they can be hard to find with the side airbags. It took me a while to find mine and I then had it shipped from California to Kansas City. I loved carmax! If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have my dream van! lol Proud owner of a 2004, green, 8 seater, with side curtian air bags.

I hear you. It was fairly hard for us to find a new 2005 8-passenger with the then optional side airbags in any color available locally in early 2005. I don't think I've ever seen a green Sienna in person, either. It sounds like you had quite the quest to find yours. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC