Question FF minimums

jewlsvern

I was just looking at the weight and height limits on my new Avenue and noticed the FF numbers. It says they should be 22 lbs and 34 inches to FF. So does this mean they MUST be 34 inches to FF or do you always go by the weight.

My DD is 21# and we plan to use this seat on our plane flight. Can I argue (if necessary) that she is not big enough to FF. I know the law is 1 and 20 but I see a lot of seats that start at 22 pounds to FF.

ADS

cpsaddict

Dorel has said that the 34" is set in stone, therefore it must be followed. According to the car seat manufacturer, your dd is too small to be FF by both height and weight in the Avenue.

jewlsvern

Dorel has said that the 34" is set in stone, therefore it must be followed. According to the car seat manufacturer, your dd is too small to be FF by both height and weight in the Avenue.

Thanks. That's good to know. She is not even 30 inches so I can tell family that she is too small to FF. They all think I'm nuts.

What about other manufacturers like Evenflo. Are their height minimums set like Dorel?

cpsaddict

Well, I am not certain that anyone has ever questioned it. The reason that we know Dorel said it was set in stone was because the limit seemed much higher than other brands. I think most others are 30".

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The law depends where you are. There's a proper use clause here in NC, meaning you need to use the seat properly. I actually got to tell a mom she was using one illegally this weekend because she had her seven month old forward facing. That was illegal. Using your seat forward facing at 1 years and 21 pounds would be illegal. However, using a booster rated from 20 pounds and 1 year would be legal, if one existed. Does that make sense?

Plus I don't know which state's laws a plane would follow. Would it change as it entered each one's airspace?

Don't go by the law. The manufacturer says 22 pounds and 34" and she's not big enough. And the FAA regulations state that the seat MUST be used as per the manufacturer. You're golden. :)

Wendy

April

Veering a little off topic here, but my Apex doesn't state 34" in the manual. Weird huh?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Veering a little off topic here, but my Apex doesn't state 34" in the manual. Weird huh?

I think it's on the seat though, I know it's somewhere. All the seats I've had from them have had that limit. That's what was so bad at the Summit I tried Ilana in. She's like maybe an inch shy of being even w/ the top slots of the seat and is not even 34" yet to even get to use it! By the time she hits 34", she'll be too tall for the seat entirely!

jewlsvern

The law depends where you are. There's a proper use clause here in NC, meaning you need to use the seat properly. I actually got to tell a mom she was using one illegally this weekend because she had her seven month old forward facing. That was illegal. Using your seat forward facing at 1 years and 21 pounds would be illegal. However, using a booster rated from 20 pounds and 1 year would be legal, if one existed. Does that make sense?

Plus I don't know which state's laws a plane would follow. Would it change as it entered each one's airspace?

Don't go by the law. The manufacturer says 22 pounds and 34" and she's not big enough. And the FAA regulations state that the seat MUST be used as per the manufacturer. You're golden. :)

Thanks. I plan to RF her to 35# but I was a little concerned that a FA might make me turn her FF. This is the first time I've flown with a convertible. Last time I had no problems with her SR. But I keep reading about issues people have had with FA's. I am glad to find out she is too small to FF in that seat. Another reason to use it over her EFTA on the plane.

fyrfightermomma

I think it's on the seat though, I know it's somewhere. All the seats I've had from them have had that limit. That's what was so bad at the Summit I tried Ilana in. She's like maybe an inch shy of being even w/ the top slots of the seat and is not even 34" yet to even get to use it! By the time she hits 34", she'll be too tall for the seat entirely!

Me too. My kiddo is 32" but is right AT the top slots of the Scenera and a lot of the Dorel combo seats. When she hits 34" it will be well outgrown.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC