Law/Minimum VS Best Practice

Nisha

I'm trying to explain best practice to some one - Such as
Law says you can turn your child at 1-20 best practice is 2 yrs/limit of RF seat. (I say 2 because of AAP recommendation)

Can I get more examples please? Thanks!!!

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
(I say 2 because of AAP recommendation)

Did their recommendation change? Last I knew it was to limits. If it's changed I'd love a link if you have one...thanks!

As for examples;

Law in some states doesn't say when you can remove them from a harness seat and go to a booster. Many boosters say 30-80 or 30-100lbs. Best practice is to remain harnessed as long as possible (HWH seat).

Law in some states is to 4/6/8 with varying weight limits. Best practice is to remain in a booster until child passes the 5 step test.

Law in some states doesn't require a seat belt over 16/18. Best practice is for everyone to weat their seat belts at all times.

Nisha

I guess I was thinking it said "to limits of seat - minimum of 2 years. I don't know that I've ever seen the actual recommendation!

crunchierthanthou

I guess I was thinking it said "to limits of seat - minimum of 2 years. I don't know that I've ever seen the actual recommendation!

no, there's no age stipulation in the AAP recommendation. you often see the 2 and 30 guideline stated because many rf seats will last most kids at least that long. Also, most US studies only go through age two because there just isn't enough real world data to go beyond that yet.

Plus, if a parent has only ever heard 1 and 20, they're going to think we're off our rockers when we start quoting the recent European study showing the benefits of erf through at least age 4. ;)

Nisha

Thanks for clearing that up!

no, there's no age stipulation in the AAP recommendation. you often see the 2 and 30 guideline stated because many rf seats will last most kids at least that long. Also, most US studies only go through age two because there just isn't enough real world data to go beyond that yet.

Plus, if a parent has only ever heard 1 and 20, they're going to think we're off our rockers when we start quoting the recent European study showing the benefits of erf through at least age 4. ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;109/3/550

First recommendation.

"# Children should face the rear of the vehicle until they are at least 1 year of age and weigh at least 20 lb to decrease the risk of cervical spine injury in the event of a crash. Infants who weigh 20 lb before 1 year of age should ride rear facing in a convertible seat or infant seat approved for higher weights until at least 1 year of age.3,4 If a car safety seat accommodates children rear facing to higher weights, for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back.3 "

And here

http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm#ForwardFacingSeats

"Once your child is at least 1 year of age and weighs at least 20 pounds, she can ride forward-facing. However, it is best for her to ride rear-facing to the highest weight or height allowed by the manufacturer of her car safety seat. She should ride in a forward-facing seat with a harness until she outgrows it (usually at around 4 years of age and about 40 pounds). "

Wendy

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The first link Wendy posted also says:

"3. For optimal protection, pediatricians should counsel parents of most children (those who weigh more than 12 lb at 4 months of age) to encourage use of a convertible car safety seat that will accommodate them rear facing at higher weights. "

FYI, that first link is from *2002*, that's how long AAP has been saying they should rf to limits. And still, in 2008, pediatricians are telling people they *should* turn kids at 1/20.

And the 2nd link posted, the AAP's 2008 Car Seat Guide has a nifty new chart in it which also says this:

"Toddlers Preschoolers Convertible, combination, and forward-facing Children 1 year of age and at least 20 pounds can ride forward-facing. It is best to ride rear-facing as long as possible."

FWIW, I think both links are great tools when trying to educate/encourage ERF. I find it hard to tell people they should RF to 2 when the seats only go to 35lbs max and some kids hit that before 2. I'd hate for parents to be stressed about not making it to 2. If they make it to the 35lbs (or until outgrown by height) they're doing great imo! :D

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
As long as you're 1 and 30#, you can use a Cosco hbb. I sent a little girl home in one on Saturday b/c she was 2yrs 10 mos and 40# and it's legal. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC