CLOTHES for skinny kid?

melaniev

I know I've read a lot of posts here from people looking for seats for their skinny kids ... so my question (becoming a dilemma) is what do you dress your super skinny kids in? My 4th grader cannot wear anything properly. She's 4'5" tall and just under 50lb. Skin and bones if you ask me. Her waist fits in size 4T in shorts (her 3yo sister's stuff), but at her height that obviously looks ridiculous. And all skirts are miniskirts on her.

I've tried to economize by shopping at second-hand stores, discount stores like walmart, and sewing my own, but then she won't wear any of them. She has sensory integration disorder along with neurological problems which doesn't help, but I'm getting desperate to have just a couple things that LOOK nice on her even if I have to pay full price, as long as she'll wear them. Is there a store, or online shop, or anything that caters to skinny ones?

ADS

ccjones

Tracy

CPST Instructor
what about GAP?

I also had a skinny mini. My youngest daughter in now 12 and has filled out a little bit, but when she was younger, we shopped at GAP. They have pants/shorts/capris that have an elastic band inside the waist that you can 'cinch up' to fit those skinny kiddos. We would buy the slim size and then pull up the elastic. They really worked for her... we bought some of that style pants recently at Kohls, I can't remember what brand they are, though.

Good luck!

Tracy

melaniev

thanks for the suggestions ... we've actually tried nordstrom, lord & taylor, and talbots (gifts); talbots actually measured her and said "sorry, you ARE no size here." I've never been to neiman markus maybe worth a try.
Those pants at the Gap with the elastics are great, but they're SO expandable that they make "bubbles" over her hips which she dislikes. It sounds so minor but this has become a huge issue between her and myself and we fight for hours in the morning because she will not leave clothes on. :(

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Lands End offers some clothes in a "slim" size.

Mostly, my DD wears dresses (100% cotton play dresses from Lands End or Hanna Andersson), which helps. My son is not only skinny, but also incredibly picky about what he'll wear. He has 2 pairs of pants from Children's Place that he likes, plus a pair from Hanna Andersson. They're loose, but they don't fall off of him, so I guess that's good enough.

LEAW

Had this problem when I was a kid, and mom ended up buying hte slimmest things with elastic and then taking them in at home, running an extra seam down the hip, and tucking the waist some. Was a ton of work, but for a few items (we had uniforms for school) it was worth it.

How about getting things that fit right (like those 4t shorts) and instead, get 4t pants and make them into capris and shorts for her? 4t is not an unusual age for kids to still be in diapers, so they should have a full rise/seat in them, which will be a little lower on your older kid, but not quite hip huggers?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We really like Hanna Andersson, too.. the skirts are nice and long, and so are the dresses... I don't know if a 4th grader would be really into the fashion of them, but my Kindergartner reaches for her Hannas as soon as they are clean (we bought on sale, even one or two pieces off ebay, to make sure we actually love it before I'll buy anymore).

melaniev

i think i might start looking into alternatives like turning 4t pants into capri, thanks for that suggestion. not sure why i had mentally blocked - i guess because i feel like shes too big for it! and they do have some more "grown up" styles for little kids now-a-days.
hanna / lands end / etc stuff is a no-go though.

jenny03

My daughter has some sensitivity issues, and will only wear cotton knit pants or fleece. Basically elastic waist only. She likes gymboree leggings, hanna andersson, target sometimes has OK stuff. It's a pain shopping for kids that sensory issues, huh? My son has certain kinds of socks he'll wear, pants have to be soft, etc. Sigh...

melaniev

yes definitely. and i have to cut the tags out of shirts and pants before she'll even consider wearing them. she prefers cotton to synthetics, but is still so picky with style that what she wants is tough to find. and if my tucks and stitches are not perfect I end up having to throw them away. :(
socks?? forget it. i dont even bother buying them anymore! the scary thing is i sometimes feel she would go to school naked or in pj's if i let her.:eek:

jenny03

Yeah, my other son takes his pants off all the time. Drives me bonkers. We also have the tag thing. It was trial and error with the socks. Only the ones that are crew length. No sport length, or anything short.

Well, it gives me an excuse to buy nicer clothes for my girlie...Daddy understands the sensitivity issues. ;)

U

Unregistered

Can some one move to Coffee Break?

Can't get onto Coffee Break but just wanted to say that Target has some decent adjustable waist shorts and jeans for a very reasonable prices. My dd is very petite (think thin and short) and we have similar issues. The Target pants allowed her to wear jeans for the first time when she was 6. She was SO thrilled to be like other kids. We tossed all those leggings!!!
She is also tactile sensitive so I was very happy that the 'cinched up' elastic inside does NOT bother her. Now socks..... don't get me started :)
C.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm just not picky ... Leila is 44" now at 34# at 4 years old ... she wears hand-me-downs ... I match size 6 pants (BELTED) with size 4 shirts :rolleyes: ;) She usually covers it up with a princess play dress anyway, LOL :p

LEAW

Also, can you let her pick things at the store that she will wear in the correct length and pay a seamstress to fix them? Maybe your tucks aren't "good enough" but if she knew a professional was making them fit "just for her" it would make a difference?

I had a student who wore only sweatpants w/o ankle elastic and they had to be on inside out, and with no underwear... he was really sensitive to the seams and anything else!

santecno

For my skinny DS I just bought clothes at Old Navy, they had slim shorts and Children's Place has an elastic w/the buttons in the shorts like maternity clothes. Check out both stores. :)

melaniev

ok great, thanks for all the ideas. my head is spinning trying to map out a short-route of all the above mentioned stores ;)
never thought of a seamstress. i think the good dept stores would have that?

right now the big battle is over SHORT shorts because a 4T short on a 10yo just does not cut it, and she's very naive so she doesn't "get" it. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC