New LATCH Campaign

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Has everyone seen the new videos promoting the LATCH system? I know these have been a long time in the works.

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/adcouncil/34656/

I completely support having more PSAs encouraging proper car seat use. I sort of have a problem playing up LATCH so much, because while it's SUPPOSED to be easier, it often isn't. We also know it's not inherently safer. I worry that these commercials will make parents panic, thinking that they MUST use LATCH to be "really safe."

The press release states that "40% of parents still rely on vehicles' seat belts when installing their car seat rather than using LATCH." Well, duh. Most cars don't have LATCH in the center, which they're told is the safest place for their child. Also, a lot of times it's just easier to use the seat belt.

As for the videos themselves (on the right side of the page--there's a drop-down menu), both kids secured in the Baby Einstein video could probably still be RF. It would be nice if one of the two videos showed a RF kid. They probably wanted to emphasize tether use--which is commendable, but still.

Wondering what others think.

ADS

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
I like the message of the commercial because I think i gets parents thinking...but in terms of the PSA press release...not so much. I find that I install about 75% of seat check seats with the seatbelt because of the whole center-LATCH issue or i just can't get a tight enough install with LATCH (lower anchors that is...tether strap is a no-brainer)

capeKO71

Oh yeah - they talked about the release of this at the conference we just attended.

Ok - so I guess the reason for this was because a high percent of people who have latch are not using it (including tether). They are trying to get people to understand that if they have it, they should use it to its limits so long as they get a good fit. A lot of the people who aren't using it replied that they "didn't know how" or "they didn't have it"... when in fact they did.

Personally, I think it confuses people. You can't use latch center. Latch can't be used after 42/48/65lbs depending on the car. They are making it sound a bit like it's 'safer' - when it's really not - but I guess if it gets people to put on that top tether, it's probably worth it.

barnmama25

Anybody else notice that 3 of the videos are in Spanish but only one in english? With 2 being the same video?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think the first Baby Einstein one is supposed to be in English, but they made a mistake. (I only say that because the other two both say "Spanish" after them.)

I've been thinking about it more, and I guess my main problem with it is that there are still so many issues surrounding LATCH (unstated weight limits, allowing/not allowing borrowing in the center), that it seems premature to be advertising it as a system to make your kid safer. Especially when it's just as easy to make mistakes with LATCH.

arly1983

If they could just get LATCH standardized it would really be an asset but at this point in the game it just seems to make people more confused.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
If they could just get LATCH standardized it would really be an asset but at this point in the game it just seems to make people more confused.

And that is what we told then at Lifesavers, when they talked about the new commercials.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
And that is what we told then at Lifesavers, when they talked about the new commercials.

Yeah, I remember reading about how NHTSA (or whoever is leading the campaign) asked for CPS input, then when they got it, basically said, "Ok, thanks" and ignored it.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
That slow motion commercial? They showed that. But when we complained, I swear they said it was all still in the works and not a finished product yet. Am I losing it?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If carseat makers hadn't bowed to the pressure of big box stores to keep things as cheap as possible, we'd have much better LATCH now... it was originally *intended* to be always rigid, in which case it's obviously fool proof (rigid seats do fine without top tethers, that's what they have in Europe...just click and your done)...but noooooo... a little strap with some hard to use hooks on it is SOOOOO much cheaper that that's what we get. :(
If they could at least make the alligator clips (maybe slightly smaller, they are a tad bulky for all cars...) standard, THAT would be a lot easier, IMO....

Oh well, so many people with so much input (car makers, government, seatmakers, retailers...), it's no surprise it's a giant mess at this point :rolleyes: I'm glad they are trying to finally straighten it out, maybe this will pave the way for top tethers being mandatory....we can hope...:whistle:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
That slow motion commercial? They showed that. But when we complained, I swear they said it was all still in the works and not a finished product yet. Am I losing it?

No, they were probably telling you what you wanted to hear.

I wasn't aware that they showed anything at Lifesavers. I remember reading something from SBS or SafeRide News from a year ago maybe, about how NHTSA was starting to undertake this campaign (with the LATCH logo and stuff). Many CPS leaders wrote to them about their concerns, but they seem to have fallen upon deaf/uninterested ears (uh, or eyes, as the case may be).

seamonkeys

In my situations I've always found LATCH to be easier to get a rock-solid install. And it's always much quicker. Maybe I've just lucked out with my vehicles. I'm totally bummed that I've had to switch to the seatbelt with our Frontier b/c DS1 is hovering around 39 lbs.

As far as the PSAs, yeah, I don't consider telling people about LATCH as encouraging proper car-seat usage. I'd rather see them demonstrate proper tightening of the straps, harness height, chest clip height, etc (and ERFing, of course).

And I agree that it's still confusing because it doesn't mention that the LATCH has a weight limit. I found out this week that a fellow preschool mom just started using the LATCH on her RA - she knew she had the anchors in her car, but couldn't find them on the car-seat! She finally (3+ yrs later!) realized they were hidden away under the cover! BUT, she also assumed she could just keep using it even forever no matter the weight of her son!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC