My new Avenue- Pics and ?'s- long

jewlsvern

I attempted today to install my new Avenue. We got the black and silver which matches our interior and our EFTA since DH said "no pink in his car ever". We will use it on our upcoming plane flight and trip and it will then become a spare seat in DH's car.
I could not get it installed properly using the LATCH. I could however get it rock solid in under a minute using the seat belt. I am not sure about the recline. It seems a little too reclined for my 18 month old. My DD is using the bottom slots. Her shoulders are just a hair under the 2nd slots. She has plenty of growing room.
The seat seemed pretty comfortable, but not as plush as my EFTA, but quite good for the price. She loved her seat and pitched a fit when I took her out of it until we took a drive in it. She kept yelling "my seat, outside".
Her feet seem to be just about touching the seat back. Is the bottom deeper in that sense?

Here are some pictures. In this picture you can see my EFTA behind it. The recline seems really different. Anyone know if they are both acceptable?
DSCN1903.jpg

Here you can see the second slots just above her shoulders.
DSCN1898.jpg

Some people commented on how hard the harness adjuster was to reach. Here is a picture of where it is located when installed. But you do have to reach quite a ways in there.
DSCN1901.jpg

Here is a picture of the seat belt install and the room the seat took front to back.
DSCN1899.jpg

All in all I'm pretty happy with the seat. I like it much better and found it easier to use than the Scenara. Though its not an EFTA (which I LOVE). But for a second seat it's great. I am having a tech check it out next week.

This is my first experience with harness covers. Do they interfere with tightening the harness? I found it much harder to get the straps tight enough. Is this normal or does it just take getting used to.

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
It looks a tad too reclined to me but it is hard to tell with a picture and without a picture showing it right on or directly in front of and not an angle.

If you find it harder to tighten the harness with the covers on you can always take them off.

jewlsvern

It looks a tad too reclined to me but it is hard to tell with a picture and without a picture showing it right on or directly in front of and not an angle.

The line that says to match up to ground level was still not where it should be. If I lined it up with ground level it would be reclined even more. It just didn't seem right to me. She didn't complain and I will be installing it in my mom's car tomorrow so no biggie for now.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Is the car level? How does it compare recline wise to the other RF seat in your vehicle?

jewlsvern

The car was on a slight incline down, but to match up to even ground level it would be way more reclined. It is way more reclined than my RF EFTA. It just made we question if my EFTA was in correctly, which I thought before it was. The Avenue seems to be more at an infant recline, similar to my SR.

scatterbunny

Both of them look to be within an acceptable RF angle range; anywhere between 30-45 degrees is fine. :) If she's more comfortable more upright, then try to get it that way, but don't stress about how it is now, IMO.

Kat_Momof3

it doesn't look overreclined in terms of past 45*, but it does look like she would prefer it more upright.

try pulling the seat back from the bight a bit and reinstalling it... pushing down on the foot end of the seat so that it still presses into the vehicle seatback.

did you try pulling up the cover for installing with latch?? (though for such a quick seatbelt install, I'd probably just stick with doing it with the seatbelt)

jewlsvern

did you try pulling up the cover for installing with latch?? (though for such a quick seatbelt install, I'd probably just stick with doing it with the seatbelt)

Thanks for the tip. I had never heard to try it that way. I just couldn't get the LATCH to tighten any more. Do you pull parallel to the belt?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Looks to me like her shoulders are even with the next slots up, and the straps are wrapped really far over her shoulders? Unless she was super upright and settled way down after that picture, I'd move the straps up to those second slots :twocents::)

Kat_Momof3

Thanks for the tip. I had never heard to try it that way. I just couldn't get the LATCH to tighten any more. Do you pull parallel to the belt?

really?? it's standard recommendation for all the dorel seats... the touriva, scenera, etc.

I don't always pull parallel to the belt (depends on where the latchplate ends up), but just by not pulling it around the curve of the seat, something about that slightly better angle and BAM... tightens like butter. Heck, as fast and easy as the seatbelt install is, it would be even faster with pulling up the cover (and I assume the reason you got it snug was that you have locking latchplates?? I can never get a scenera or other dorel seat without a base tight without lifting cover. Heck, same goes for evenflos (except triumph/triumph advacne) and gracos (nautilus excluded sometimes))

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Looks to me like her shoulders are even with the next slots up, and the straps are wrapped really far over her shoulders? Unless she was super upright and settled way down after that picture, I'd move the straps up to those second slots :twocents::)

This is what I was going to say, plus I know on our Avenues, the seat cover doesn't line up well w/ the slots and the shell slots are actually lower than the cover slots. Ilana Evan are both in the 3rd slots!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC