Feedback on Evenflo Generations for grandma's car

mhmom

I have posted about issues fitting a seat in my MIL's 97 Camry and had a Evenflo Tribute that wouldn't stay tight so I bought the Generations tonight which fits 100% better.

However any feedback if the Generations is a good seat. MY D is 17months, 31" and 23lbs. I know all the benefits of RFing for longer but we have made the choice to be FFing, sorry if that bothers anyone. The seat is used maybe once a week and will need to last as long as possible, since our seat law just changed this summer to 8 years old. Which was my only consideration for a booster and not a convertible. Thanks!

ADS

fyrfightermomma

Since your DD is above the legal minimums and you are choosing not to RF any longer, than a combination seat that fits your car and your daughter well is fine.

The generations has nice tall top slots so it should last a while by height, however the harness does only go to 40 lbs. It doesn't make the greatest booster afterwards, but decent enough and is better than some other combo seats. Also be aware, I think this has a 6 year expiration (someone correct me if I'm wrong) meaning it will expire depending on the manufacture date when she isn't ready for a seatbelt yet. If it was made this year, it will expire when she is only 6 or 7. But you could get a cheaper High back booster or no back booster down the road.

Also be aware, some find the Generations EXTREMELY upright especially for younger children, meaning sleep and the Generations sometimes don't mix.

My SIL has 3 of them for all 3 of her kids and she does really like them.

Just make sure to get the seat checked by a certified tech :)

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Evenflo Generations is a decent seat. It will make a good harnessed seat until your DD is 40 lb or her shoulders pass the top slots (probably will be around the same time). It will then make a decent booster.

Evenflo seats (except the new Symphony) are only good for 6 years from DOM. So, even if the seat is brand new, it will only last until your DD is 7 1/2, not 8 years old. Remember, the law could change by the time your DD is that old anyway. Plus, what is law doesn't mean what is safest. After your DD moves to a BPB (which shouldn't be until she's 4 and 40 lb, if not older and heavier), she should remain in a booster until she passes the 5 step test, which probably will be when she's 9-12 years old, not 8.

If you're wanting a seat that will harness now, turn into a booster later, and last a little longer, you might want to consider the Graco Nautilus. It will harness to 65# and taller height than the Generations. It lasts 6 years as a harnessed seat and BPB, but 9 years as a backless booster. It's not a whole lot more expensive than the Generations.

mhmom

Since your DD is above the legal minimums and you are choosing not to RF any longer, than a combination seat that fits your car and your daughter well is fine.

The generations has nice tall top slots so it should last a while by height, however the harness does only go to 40 lbs. It doesn't make the greatest booster afterwards, but decent enough and is better than some other combo seats. Also be aware, I think this has a 6 year expiration (someone correct me if I'm wrong) meaning it will expire depending on the manufacture date when she isn't ready for a seatbelt yet. If it was made this year, it will expire when she is only 6 or 7. But you could get a cheaper High back booster or no back booster down the road.

Also be aware, some find the Generations EXTREMELY upright especially for younger children, meaning sleep and the Generations sometimes don't mix.

My SIL has 3 of them for all 3 of her kids and she does really like them.

Just make sure to get the seat checked by a certified tech :)

We encountered the sleep issue today. Thanks for your input!

mhmom

The Evenflo Generations is a decent seat. It will make a good harnessed seat until your DD is 40 lb or her shoulders pass the top slots (probably will be around the same time). It will then make a decent booster.

Evenflo seats (except the new Symphony) are only good for 6 years from DOM. So, even if the seat is brand new, it will only last until your DD is 7 1/2, not 8 years old. Remember, the law could change by the time your DD is that old anyway. Plus, what is law doesn't mean what is safest. After your DD moves to a BPB (which shouldn't be until she's 4 and 40 lb, if not older and heavier), she should remain in a booster until she passes the 5 step test, which probably will be when she's 9-12 years old, not 8.

If you're wanting a seat that will harness now, turn into a booster later, and last a little longer, you might want to consider the Graco Nautilus. It will harness to 65# and taller height than the Generations. It lasts 6 years as a harnessed seat and BPB, but 9 years as a backless booster. It's not a whole lot more expensive than the Generations.

Thanks for the info! I really liked the Graco but it was $60 more if I was getting it for my car and used it a lot I totally would have spent it but my MIL only watches DD once a week and sometime they don't go anywhere.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC