Recaro Vivo or Parkway?

NannyMom

Ok, we're buying a new booster for A. Do I want a Recaro Vivo Lite or a Britax Parkway? I see them both online for about the same price. I've never used boosters other then the Turbo booster. Does anyone have pictures of them with the headrest raised? The pics don't need to have kids in them, I really just want to see the seat and I know asking for pics of kids is a no-no :)

What do you like or dislike about the seats?

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I forget if they go about the same height or if the Vivo goes a little taller, but I do like the Vivo/Vivo Light better just because it isn't narrower in the back than it is in the front... it's more square/rectangle shaped, so that a kid will fit it properly (sitting all the way back) until they truly get too wide for it.

I had problems with the parkway because of how it was designed... my kids started getting too wide to really sit all the way to the back of the seat before they outgrew it by height.

scatterbunny

If I didn't want the Parkway for fitting three-across in my tiny Focus, I'd have totally gone for a Vivo Lite. :thumbsup:

NannyMom

If I didn't want the Parkway for fitting three-across in my tiny Focus, I'd have totally gone for a Vivo Lite. :thumbsup:

I was leaning towards the Parkway. WHy do you prefer the Vivo?

BTW- 8 year old A is thin, so I don't think a narrow seat is a problem. But space isn't an issue because there's plenty of room in the van.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Tyler felt like he was falling out of the Parkway. He likes the Vivo a lot better!

BW1426

I was leaning towards the Parkway. WHy do you prefer the Vivo?

BTW- 8 year old A is thin, so I don't think a narrow seat is a problem. But space isn't an issue because there's plenty of room in the van.

I like the way that the lapbelt fits with the Vivo. Also, it's one of the few boosters E has 0 head slump with. I love it. I got mine for $65 through windows cash back live. LOVE it.

scatterbunny

I really do love the Parkway, but a few things I like more about the Vivo: it doesn't seem as tippy. The Parkway tips on corners in all the vehicles I've used it in (some worse than others). I've never driven with a Vivo in my car, but just based on playing with it in the store, sitting dd in it, buckling her in on the test bench, the Vivo does not seem as tippy. The Vivo seems wider at the back of the seating area, and the Parkway gets narrower at the back. Slim kids might not have a problem with that, but some kids feel like they have to sort of "wedge" themselves into the Parkway. The Vivo positions the lapbelt lower on the actual lap/upper thighs rather than the hips/lower abdomen. I prefer this positioning, but the Parkway's lapbelt positioning isn't bad, either. The Vivo seems to sit lower on the vehicle seat, as well (I'm going to go dig up my booster comparison photos to illustrate this point, and the lapbelt positioning). I like carseats that sit lower on the seat, blocking less of my view, easier for the child to climb into by themselves.

ETA: Nevermind, I see that Teri posted my link earlier in this thread. :p Look over those pics to see what I mean. ;)

TerisBoys

I don't have a Parkway to compare, but this is how the lap belt fits on Ryan and Josh.

Ryan - almost 6, 44#, 46"

015.jpg

Josh - 12, 89#, 62" - very much a beanpole

Vivo005.jpg

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Teri, that really gets me. Tyler is a good 6" short, here he is on the highest setting.

Vivo.jpg

Vivocloseup.jpg

RecaroVivo.jpg

NannyMom

What is Windows Cash back live? WHat do I need to do? I think we want to buy the booster asap so Mom and I don't have to keep sharing one.

BTW- a little of the topic. We had problems with the turbo booster where the head could be pushed down just by pushing on it (w/o useing the button). Graco replaced the head, then the entire back (2 pieces) and we still have the problem. They will be refunding our money. Is this something that needs to be reported to NHTSA, or it's too minor?

BW1426

Google Windows Live Cash Back. Sign up. When you shop, go through their website and it will redirect you. Every couple months, they send you a check with your cash back.

scatterbunny

Judi, I think it's all about proportions; Tyler has a longer torso and shorter legs (look at where his knees bend in relation to the edge of the Vivo's seat edge), Josh has a shorter torso and really long legs.

Teri, what's Ryan's torso height? Is the Vivo on the lowest setting in that photo? I think that illustrates that the Vivo can sometimes not be a good fit for younger/smaller booster riders, or those with shorter torsos.

Here's a picture of H in the Parkway at pretty much the exact same size as your Ryan is now, and you can see the Parkway is adjusted up a number of settings (sorry the pic is so small, I can't find the original larger size).

Last edited:

seamonkeys

What is Windows Cash back live? WHat do I need to do? I think we want to buy the booster asap so Mom and I don't have to keep sharing one.

Google Windows Live Cash Back. Sign up. When you shop, go through their website and it will redirect you. Every couple months, they send you a check with your cash back.

Yes, it's a rebate site. But you get your money 60 days after it hits your account, not every couple of months. You just have to have or open a hotmail account. Oh, and you can have the money put into your paypal account too.

Just did a search, and if you don't care about color, the Cobalt (gray/blue) comes to only $59.73! It's the product that says the cheapest is 68-107 -it's wrong and shows cheaper on the next page!

ETA: Forgot to check shipping! So it's not as cheap as I thought - comes to $67.68 w/shipping and after rebate.

http://search.live.com/cashback/products/search?q=recaro+vivo+booster&go=&form=CM

Last edited:

TerisBoys

Teri, that really gets me. Tyler is a good 6" short, here he is on the highest setting.

Judi, I think it's all about proportions; Tyler has a longer torso and shorter legs (look at where his knees bend in relation to the edge of the Vivo's seat edge), Josh has a shorter torso and really long legs.

Teri, what's Ryan's torso height? Is the Vivo on the lowest setting in that photo? I think that illustrates that the Vivo can sometimes not be a good fit for younger/smaller booster riders, or those with shorter torsos.

Judi - Josh has always had a very short torso and long legs - he's one of those rare kids that fit in a Roundabout by weight and height until he was almost 5. Even now, his torso is only about 20-21". His 8yo brother uses the Vivo set 2 clicks lower, but overall Josh is almost a foot taller. Look at Tyler's legs compared to Josh's - there's the 6" :)

Jenny - Ryan uses it one click up from 'all the way down'. I do believe it may have been all the way down in that picture though. He's got roughly a 16" torso. For reference, he's right AT the second from top slots in his Nauti. (At, as in, they're moving up this weekend)

scatterbunny

And H had about a 16.5-17 inch torso at that time, because she was *just* too tall for a Marathon, and had a bit of room in the Futura. So I do think the Parkway adjusts down lower to fit shorter-torso kids than the Vivo.

BW1426

Yes, it's a rebate site. But you get your money 60 days after it hits your account, not every couple of months. You just have to have or open a hotmail account. Oh, and you can have the money put into your paypal account too.

Just did a search, and if you don't care about color, the Cobalt (gray/blue) comes to only $59.73! It's the product that says the cheapest is 68-107 -it's wrong and shows cheaper on the next page!

http://search.live.com/cashback/products/search?q=recaro+vivo+booster&go=&form=CM

Ah, good to know. I thought it was 60 day cycles, not 60 days from individual purchases.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC