Is this legal??

Lena

My dd kept telling me that there is a baby that rides her school bus. Honestly I didn't believe her or assumed it was just a doll.
Then this morning I watched the bus driver shake up a bottle and hand it to a teenager (I assume another child of hers) to feed her infant. There was a carrier car seat sitting on the seat too.

Is this legal? Should I be reporting this? If so, to who? The bus garage? CPS? police?

ADS

MomToEliEm

I think schoolbuses are except from seatbelt laws which would mean an infant could ride unrestrained.

You can add a temporary seatbelt type device to must bus seats which would allow you to install a carseat into a bus. I think we have a member on the board who has their carseat installed rearfacing on the bus she drives.

I found the post showing a carseat installed on a school bus:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=42911

Last edited:

Neatfreak

In the last city I lived in, the school bus companies were actively recruiting stay-at-home parents, and one of the job perks that they promoted was "bring your at-home children with you". My first thought when reading your post is that your DD's bus driver was encouraged to bring her baby on her route.

I know about the compartmentalization effect and school buses, but I am a little baffled by bringing an infant seat onboard, and then not actually installing it. I guess it keep the baby in one spot, if nothing else ...

Carefulove

...the school bus companies were actively recruiting stay-at-home parents, and one of the job perks that they promoted was "bring your at-home children with you"...

:yeahthat: Where I live too!

...but there are some school buses that have seat belts in the first row just for this very purpose...

:yeahthat:

My sister is currently taking classes to become a school bus driver. She is taking her 3 y/o son in the bus with her, in his E.Triumph. She tells me that the first seat has a seatbelt so you can install a carseat there.

Lena

Where at in Va Beach?

Bayside area.

I called the bus garage or whatever it's called here. They blew me off but took my information to pass along.
Today the kids came home and said that "the bus driver ran over a street sign but it's okay because no one got hurt."
I think I'll be driving them from now on.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC