time for a booster?

happykell

hey guys! you all were a big help to me when i was preggo with #3, and i'm looking for your expertise again. my oldest son is 50# and 49.5 inches. he is in a marathon now, but i believe that he is almost to the height limit. i would prefer to keep him in his 5 point harness as long as possible, but am i going to have to switch to a booster? if so, what are some recommendations? thank you guys so much!

ADS

teacher01

There are definitely more options than just going to a booster. :)The Graco Nautilus, Britax Regent, and Britax Frontier all have higher slots than the marathon. There are some other that do as well, I just don't know what they are. Some other people will have to jump in with them. I personally have my son in a Regent, and he loves it, but when he outgrows his decathlon (that is in the other car), we will probably get a Frontier since it will convert to a booster later.

scatterbunny

The Nautilus and Frontier have top slots approximately 1.5 inches higher than the Marathon; the Regent's top slots are 2.5-3 inches higher than the Marathon.

Where are your son's shoulders in relation to the top slots of his Marathon? My daughter was too tall for a Marathon (shoulders over top slots) at 46 inches tall, but your son may have a shorter torso and longer legs. This is very important to note, since a forward-facing harnessed seat is outgrown by height not so much at the written standing height limit, but when shoulders go over top slots or when tips of ears go over top of seat shell.

My daughter was too tall for a Marathon around 4 years, 9 months old, and she would have fit in a Frontier or Nautilus harness until about 6.5 years old. She'd fit in a Regent until about her 8th birthday, I'm guessing. So in general, I think the Frontier and Nautilus can last 1.5-2 years longer than the Marathon, and the Regent can last 3-4 years longer. There's a lot to factor in when deciding whether or not to continue harnessing or move to a booster, and a lot to factor in when deciding which option to go with. Hopefully knowing what higher weight harnessed options out there will work longer than your Marathon will help narrow down your decision. Post back with any other questions. :)

The vehicle (year, make and model) and current carseats/other children could influence what choice(s) might be better or worse, too. ;)

U

Unregistered

hey guys! you all were a big help to me when i was preggo with #3, and i'm looking for your expertise again. my oldest son is 50# and 49.5 inches. he is in a marathon now, but i believe that he is almost to the height limit. i would prefer to keep him in his 5 point harness as long as possible, but am i going to have to switch to a booster? if so, what are some recommendations? thank you guys so much!

How old is your son? Where are his shoulders compared to the top harness slots of your Marathon? If he's old enough, big enough, and mature enough (to stay in the correct position throughout the entire car ride every time), there's nothing wrong with moving him into a high-back booster once he's truly outgrown the Marathon.

happykell

max is 5 and a half. i checked his positioning and his ears aren't over the top of the seat. the top belts are even with his shoulders. we have a nissan quest, and he sits in the very back with his little sister, also in a marathon. our third kidlet is 14 months and sits in one of the second row captain chairs, rear-facing in a boulevard. we just got an older jeep tj, and we are looking into what seats to get for that, even though he as his sister won't ride in it often. i'm thinking that alex will take over max's old marathon in the jeep and max will get 2 new seats. using your suggestions, i think i like the frontier for the nissan as his main seat and a monarch for the jeep.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC