GN complanit & question

The only thing I hate about my GN is the stupid harness strap covers. Whose (not so) brilliant idea was it to make them velcro? At first I thought, cool. Now, not so much, I hate them. My DS gets bored & gets them off. You'd think he'd want to leave them alone because when they're on no probs, when they're off he gets strap marks on his neck/shoulders.

So here's my question. Is it ok if I sew them shut?

ADS

mommycat

Does DS complain about the straps once the covers are off? My DS took the strap covers off the TF and insists that he does NOT want them on, even though the straps leave marks on his neck. He has never once complained about the naked straps, but protests loudly if I try to put the harness covers on. :shrug:

As far as sewing them shut, I can't see how it would change performance. The velcro is just for easy removal, IMO.

mish

I don't see a problem with sewing them shut. The only bad thing I can think of would be if he still pulled on them when they were sewn. If he really got annoyed and kept pulling and tugging I don't know if they would be a good thing. Why don't you try just taking them off and see if he complains. You can always pull his shirt up a little so that the straps aren't rubbing directly on his neck.

scatterbunny

LOL--Britax strap covers used to be velcro, and my dd always took them off, she preferred it that way. Now Britax strap covers are sewn on, you have to undo the harness straps from the splitter plate to remove the strap covers. This annoys me! So I love the velcro ones. :p

bubbaray

LOL--Britax strap covers used to be velcro, and my dd always took them off, she preferred it that way. Now Britax strap covers are sewn on, you have to undo the harness straps from the splitter plate to remove the strap covers. This annoys me! So I love the velcro ones. :p

Ditto that!

AmRo

My son hates the strap covers on both his seats - a Nautilus & Radian 65. So I've removed them. If your son doesn't complain about the 'naked' strap, I'd take them off. :)

tjham

Maybe you could try the old trusty "baby sock" method. Buy a pair of dark colored baby socks (to match the harness) and cut off the cuffs. Thread them through the harness straps and position by the child's neck. They are much softer than the strap covers and maybe they will prevent the neck marks but be soft enough to not bother him.

Kat_Momof3

I don't see a problem sewing them shut.

I think harness covers tend to be velcro just for ease of removal.

(and so they don't then fall off and get lost because a dog or cat confiscate them as you are removing the straps.... not that my animals would do such things, but I'm sure there are that would)

Thx ladies. He doesn't talk well so he wouldn't "say" if they hurt or bugged him, but I've never seen him rub or point to where the marks are. I think I'm just getting annoyed because my mom is always complaining that I tighten the harnesses too much on my kids & she was having a hissy about the mark on his shoulder the other day. She just needs to get over it. LOL...

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I agree - as long as DS isn't bothered or complaining, the covers are totally optional. [For tiny ones, the covers often prevent the harness from tightening fully.]

Re your mom: Ask if she's generally bothered by a bra strap, a jacket cuff, a waist band, or socks. Any of those often leave a red mark but generally are not uncomfortable or even noticable. :whistle:

In the world of special needs (where the person may not be able to voice discomfort or may have reduced sensation/feeling in different body regions), the "test" is whether the mark goes away in 20 minutes or less. If the mark stays longer than that, it's an indication there is too much pressure (strap, shoe, brace, etc.).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC