Question Infant too big for rearfacing carseat

U

Unregistered

My 4 month old has a carseat with a maximum limit of 32 inches and 20 pounds for rearfacing, after this the manual advises to switch to forward facing until 40 inches or 40 pounds. My child is currently 30.4 inchles tall and 18 pounds. From my understanding the law is the child is 20 pounds/1 year old to be forward facing.

What should I do? I do not want her legs bent against the seat incase of an accident, but I also do not want to put her forward facing if she is not ready. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

-Melissa

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

featherhead

What seat do you have? Is it expired? Most seats now have a limit of 30 or 35 lbs for rear-facing. Most of them will say you CAN ff at 20 lbs, but you don't HAVE to. If you can post which seat you have, and the date of manufacture, we should be able to help.

And about the legs being bent. There is nothing wrong with that. If you turn a child ff too soon, it puts huge forces on the neck, which can cause internal decapitation. It's easier to fix broken legs than a broken neck!!

NannyMom

Melissa,
You do not need to switch to a forward facing seat. You should buy a convertible seat that can be used rear facing until 35 pounds. All convertible seats can then be used forward facing until 40, 50, or 65 pounds (depending on the seat).

The American Academy of Pediatrics reccomends rear facing as long as possible, to the limits of the seat. The "limits of the seat" means until the child reaches maximum weight (again, most convertibles go to 35 pounds), or until there is only 1 inch of carseat shell above the baby's head.

Her legs touching the vehicle seat are NOT a problem. Children will learn to either bend their legs (sit like a pretzel), walk their legs up the seat, or put their legs over the sides. This is not dangerous. Studies have not shown that children break their legs because of this.

However, studies have shown that children can break their necks if they forward face too soon. A young child's neck is not mature enough (strong enough) to hold their head (big and heavy in comparison to their body) when forward facing in an accident.

My daughter will be 2 on Sunday and is still rear facing. She's small, only 23 pounds and I'm guessing she'll be rear facing until she's 6 :)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My 4 month old has a carseat with a maximum limit of 32 inches and 20 pounds for rearfacing, after this the manual advises to switch to forward facing until 40 inches or 40 pounds. My child is currently 30.4 inchles tall and 18 pounds. From my understanding the law is the child is 20 pounds/1 year old to be forward facing.

Your 4mo old is over 30"????? My 16mo old is 31"...I can't imagine a 4mo old that long.

OK, back to your question, 1yr AND 20lbs is the MINIMUM to consider for FF. 2yrs and 30lbs is considered the new minimum by most CPST and child safety advocates. The AAP recommends rf to the limits of your seat...which for the current seats on the market today is 30, 33 or 35lbs. A convertible with a 20lbs limit, is likely a very old car seat. Car seats expire after 6yrs from DOM. A few went to 8yrs, but that was rare. You will want to check your seat. Either way though, you need a new convertible that will get your LO to a much older age before you can turn her FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC