• Yes(Back or side sleeper at home)

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • No(Tummy sleeper at home)

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • No(Back or side sleeper at home)

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

LuvMyCharlie

This is just a sheer curiosity type of thing...

DS has slept on his tummy since about two months old. He hardly EVER sleeps in the carseat or stroller unless he's just completely exhausted. Even on five-hour car trips, he will nod off for only about half and hour. When he does not off, he tosses his head back and forth constantly, as if he just can't get comfortable. I also sleep on my stomach, and have never been able to fall asleep anywhere other than my bed or on the couch. So I'm wondering...is there any connection between sleeping positions and sleeping in the carseat? I figured this is one of the best places I could post this poll, because there are children of such a wide age-range. I just think car trips could be so much better for us if he'd just sleep! Aargh!!

ADS

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
Both my girls sleep in the car. Kira usually sleeps on her side or back and Leah sleeps on her tummy or back (not in the car, in bed :p ).

Brilliantmama

Georgie sleeps on her tummy at home (usually) and loves to sleep in her car seat.

But she always snugs up on the BLVD wings. They are excellent support since she likes to have the side of her face supported.

fyrfightermomma

Nope. DD1 slept in a car seat until maybe 4 weeks old. Then we started swaddling at night and naps and she needed that to sleep. We swaddled until 12 months so she wouldn't sleep without it. Even in the car.

ONCE since then she fell asleep in the car. It was a long trip (9 hours) and she was screaming for 3 hours straight. She finally passed out for about 10 minutes. So in 3 years, she's fallen asleep once. It's killing me!

The kids also sleep with white noise machines and since that isn't in the car they won't sleep either.

DD2 has fallen asleep more often but it's still not regular. Maybe once every 6 months.

DD1 is a tummy sleeper, DD2 is a back sleeper.

mom2juliarose

DD sleeps all over in her bed. I put she's a back/side sleeper but really she's in many positions throughout the night! She is an AMAZING car seat/stroller sleeper, even now at 4. I can get a good 1.5-2 hour nap in the car seat or stroller out of her still (which is great--I run errands, and she doesn't even wake up when being transferred).

pastrygirl

He hardly EVER sleeps in the carseat or stroller unless he's just completely exhausted. Even on five-hour car trips, he will nod off for only about half and hour.
This is my son. It's so frustrating! I still get annoyed (read: JEALOUS!) whenever I hear people picking out strollers that recline, since their toddlers need to be able to sleep. Sleep in the stroller??? What's that?!

ETA: Once in a blue moon, he does fall asleep in the car, but 99% of the time I'm not able to transfer him to his bed (or crib when he was younger). How I long to be able to do that! :eek:

LuvMyCharlie

The kids also sleep with white noise machines and since that isn't in the car they won't sleep either.

Have you tried cracking your rear windows about one inch? I find that's the ONLY way to get DS to actually go to sleep if he looks like he's nodding off. He sleeps with white noise too. I hate it. I really, really hate it. I have to pack that frigging machine up everytime we travel. Grrrrr...

So, right now it's looking like maybe it's not a matter of sleeping position. Maybe it's how soundly they sleep? DS wakes if we walk the wrong way. LOL

clmchrissy

DS1 has always been a car sleeper, sometime the only way to get him to nap anymore. He also can sleep in a stroller if exhausted. I also chose side/back sleepr, but he moves all night long. DS1 has no problem sleeping sitting up, does it all the time @ home, just plops the head back. DS2 is 9 mo and can sleep anywhere.

clmchrissy

Have you tried cracking your rear windows about one inch? I find that's the ONLY way to get DS to actually go to sleep if he looks like he's nodding off. He sleeps with white noise too. I hate it. I really, really hate it. I have to pack that frigging machine up everytime we travel. Grrrrr...

So, right now it's looking like maybe it's not a matter of sleeping position. Maybe it's how soundly they sleep? DS wakes if we walk the wrong way. LOL
I didn't know they made a white noise machine. DH always slept with a fan running (not ceiling) so now the boys & I need the fan for the white noise. Once they move into their own room to sleep I'd prefer a machine to make the noise rather than keeping a fan in there.

jessclear

My DD has never been a car sleeper. She falls asleep on her belly usually, but really tosses around during the night. I think it has to do with her ability to block out her surroundings. There is too much going on in the car for her to relax and sleep. She always needed a dark quiet place to sleep and the car is just too stimulating.

She also sleeps with a noise machine. We have a clock radio with nature sounds on it and she likes the rain noise. We have one at each of parents' homes for traveling. I love it!

southpawboston

i didn't vote because there was no option for multiple children ;).

both DDs sleep wonderfully in their carseats. DD1 is a side and/or back sleeper, while DD2 is a tummy sleeper.

BabyKaykes

Where is 'other' when you need it? lol!

DS falls asleep partially on his belly - face-down in the pillow with his butt in the air. From there he spends the entire night rolling in circles. It's maddening if you're in the same room. Before he began to roll in his sleep, he was a tummy sleeper.

It's nearly impossible to keep him awake in the car, even if he just got out of bed 5 minutes ago.

fyrfightermomma

LOL. We lug two every where we go! I don't know what we will do if one breaks! I haven't found ones in stores anywhere! I always got mine off Ebay. I should try the window thing though

loufrando

They are both side/back sleepers and will both sleep in the car but only if they are really tired- not just around town for errands. And they don't sleep as long as they would at home in bed. If they would've slept for 2.5 hours at home, they'll sleep for maybe an hour in the car. And neither has ever slept in a stroller. Who are these dream kids that do that!?

If I keep Sam up like 2 hours past her normal nap time then she'll fall asleep in the car for example. On long trips they will sleep too. It's not that often that it happens though.

Auntie2Avi

Avi is a huge car sleeper, and he always has been. He starts off sleeping on his stomach in his bed, but he is a big mover and ends up on his side/back/on his stomach later on in the night. It is great for long trips, but frustrating when he falls asleep on the 15 minute drive home from daycare and wakes up very cranky.

Naomi's-Momma

well. all of my nieces and nephews sleep in the car still.

at home, C(5) sleeps on his side. K(1) on her back. JT(6) on his back. J(8) on her side. M(7) on her stomach & B(10) on her stomach.
but they only sleep on long trips, save for K.

steph

I voted yes back/side sleeper but really Ryan sleeps on his tummy/side/back. He also sleeps anywhere. He will sleep in his stroller/carseat - he has even fallen asleep in my arms.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC