Going to a check, what should I know?

Stresch

My daughter's daycare is doing a seatcheck next week. I signed up for two slots (one for her seat and one for the bucket which I need to get in this weekend).

Aside from the fact that I am freaking out about having the infant seat installed (OMG we're going to have a BABY. SOON.), I'm a little nervous about getting pressure to switch her forward facing and unsure if I can reinstall the seat myself (I'll be 37.5 wks pg).

I know her seat is in right, but since we've never used the Chicco and I want them next to each other, I thought going to the check would make sense.

So, I need people to either convince me they won't try to switch my 2.5 year old, 23.5 pound kid forward facing or convince me that I can deal with it. Although since we don't have the HUGS on, they won't be able to install it forward facing correctly.

And any other tips or things to know would be great. I can get her seat in myself, but not right now with the belly.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Make sure you bring your vehicle manual and your car seat manual. Read them over sometime before the seat check.

MomToEliEm

You may want to print off a few rearfacing is best sources so that you have some info to provide if they try to push you to forward face. This brochure may be a good one to print out (http://www.cpsafety.com/PDFfiles/RearFacingBrochure.pdf). Most techs now should be trained on extended rearfacing, but sadly many are not or choose not to follow the guidelines. If you can provide them with info on rearfacing, they may be more willing to suggest it to others.

BW1426

Your little girl is a peanut. Can you print off a sheet as to why RFing is safer and if they give you heat at least you have that. I would not let them convince you to turn her at her size.

ame0312

My daughter's daycare is doing a seatcheck next week. I signed up for two slots (one for her seat and one for the bucket which I need to get in this weekend).

Aside from the fact that I am freaking out about having the infant seat installed (OMG we're going to have a BABY. SOON.), I'm a little nervous about getting pressure to switch her forward facing and unsure if I can reinstall the seat myself (I'll be 37.5 wks pg).

I know her seat is in right, but since we've never used the Chicco and I want them next to each other, I thought going to the check would make sense.

So, I need people to either convince me they won't try to switch my 2.5 year old, 23.5 pound kid forward facing or convince me that I can deal with it. Although since we don't have the HUGS on, they won't be able to install it forward facing correctly.

And any other tips or things to know would be great. I can get her seat in myself, but not right now with the belly.

You're the parent... No matter what they tell you, its YOUR choice how she leaves...

Mom to a few

Good for you for wanting to make sure its right!

Take the carseat manuals, the vehicle manual, and maybe a small snack/sippy cup for your daughter if she'll be out there with you. When kids get cranky, its harder for parents to listen/learn.

Hopefully, you'll have good techs who will be supportive of your daughter staying rear-facing. If they do give you a hard time about it, just state that you understand that she CAN be FF, but that you are choosing to keep her RF. They can't force you to have the seat installed FF. Good luck at your check!

BW1426

You're the parent... No matter what they tell you, its YOUR choice how she leaves...

True, but I've seen techs refuse to install a seat FFing for a young child and I wouldn't be shocked if an uneducated tech refused to install a seat RFing for a toddler. Though, at her DDs size, I think she's passable as younger than she really is.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
No one should pressure you to turn her FF. It goes against best practice as recommended by NHTSA, the AAP, and Safe Kids.

If they do pressure you-keep saying no and tell them why. The most they can do is document that you refused to turn her FF---which would be stupid.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get the KF and the MA side by side. I can't get my KF in next to my scenera RF or the GN. The sides of the seat get in the way of where the handle attaches to the bucket.

The base of the KF goes in so smoothly...you should give it a try. And because you're so pg, they might not even ask you to put the seats in yourself.

Susan

Stresch

Thanks. No, I'm not concerned that they could convince me to turn her. I'm just not wanting to deal with arguing about it. I hate confrontation, and I am crazy hormonal (see: 37 wks pregnant).

Good call about the manuals (which of course I've already read). I need to put the Chicco one back with the seat. Should also probably clean out the car since we probably have a dozen stuffed animals back there.

NannyMom

If someone try to tell you she needs to be FF, ask for a different tech :) There should be more than 1, and there should be a "senior tech" that will hopfully be up to date.

Amaris

Exactly! I went to a seat check a few weeks ago and was pressured to turn my then 23lb (now 22lbs since she's been sick) 14 month old ff'ing because her feet were touching the seat. They tried everything to convince me she would be better ff'ing. I finally said that it was my truck, my seat, and since she fit within the limits of the seat for rf'ing she was staying that way, that they did not have my consent to install her seat ff'ing. They really didn't have a choice at that point, so they installed in rf'ing, complaining the entire time.

mish

I like that you mentioned cleaning out your car. I wish more parents would think of this. I hate climbing into a car that is all nasty. Stuffed animals I can handle though. Considering I usually have to get in the vehicle to install it, I really hate having stuff all over the floor. I obviously don't want to stop on their stuff. Kicking it out of the way doesn't seem all that polite either.

By the way, I'm not talking about taking out a seat and having cheerios, cheetos, etc. underneath. No biggie. I'm talking about rotten sippy cups, papers all over the floor, fast food bags as far as the eye can see, etc.

Stresch

Well that was useless.

I definitely had them installed better before. It's too hard to get the Keyfit bucket in and out now because they are closer together.

But more annoyingly, he didn't use the Keyfit lockoff (which I didn't think was optional) AND he told me I could use the rearfacing tether on the MA. He, of course, told me they could turn her around, but he didn't push the issue. I think the belt might be twisted in the beltpath on the MA too, but I'm not sure.

He also didn't do anything to teach me to install them, but since they were basically (or entirely since you CAN rf tether a Britax) right, eh. Also, it would have been really hard for me to have reinstalled them.

I didn't say anything about it since I was tired, had the toddler, have been having contractions all day, and it started to rain. Also I'm a wimp.

I am going to assume most kids left safer than they came. Although there was a kid in an Evenflo bucket leaving with the handle not all the way down, so who knows.

And now I am annoyed that we need to redo it. Although I might just redo the tether on the MA before daycare dropoff tomorrow and let the rest wait until the weekend.

TerisBoys

Brooke - I'd look up the info for whatever coalition ran the check and call the coordinator. Especially if he did things like leaving a required lock-off open and seatbelts twisted in the beltpath of her MA. The coordinator NEEDS to know that his tech(s) could use a refresher.

Explain that your this><close to popping and really aren't comfortable with the way your seats are, and that you NEED someone to help you get them in right before baby comes. Pretty please.

Pull the desperate hormonal mommy card :)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
With the KeyFit base....you must use the lock-off. Then you have the option of locking the shoulder belt. I don't.

Susan

Stresch

Thanks.

Since it was run through Sanna's daycare, I'm going to contact the director who was at the check and mention it to him.

I actually fixed the Keyfit this morning. I wasn't sure if having the belt locked over the lockoff would put too much pressure on it (unlikely, but it's my brand new toy, uh, I mean the baby's new seat, I didn't want to chance it). That is seriously the easiest seat to install.

The seatbelt was only folded on the Marathon, which is easy to do when by-passing the lockoffs (which I always do since they've never worked right). Was able to fix that without uninstalling. Got it a bit tighter, and of course re-did the tether. I know it's optional, but it is allowed.

I am tempted to mention that any tech who does checks at the daycare should be familar with the Britax seats-at least the convertibles. I'd say 2/3 of the convertibles there are Britax, plus a handful of Regents and Parkways. It's not like they are rare here at the enormous (expensive) daycare.

I don't know that I really need to get the seats checked again (Sanna's has been before), but I might. There are two techs on the board here that our relatively nearby according to the sticky thread.

Sorry for the length and thanks again for the help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC