best gas mileage with 3 rows? (and safe, duh)

AliRR

I've got an 04 Sienna XLE and there are some things I love about it and some I hate. The biggest hate is that I am getting average of 17mpg.

I was looking at cars, but I really need a little more seating flexibility. I had an 06 matrix before this and I loved it with one kid, but with two carseats I can't comfortably fit anyone else in there. And we regularly have to transport at least one teenager plus our family of 4. With the Matrix we were taking the car and the truck when we went out to dinner, to church, etc. (we have him on weekends)
Plus it is better for my sanity if my kids don't sit together. I usually have big kid in the third row and little rf in a captain chair. And we have a Regent, although I'm not opposed to getting something smaller. Does the Frontier take up less room?
My husband wants to keep the van because it is paid off and we'd take a huge loss with what we'd get if we sold or traded it from what we have into it. We originally bought it thinking we'd be taking road trips to visit family but that isn't really happening and we could always rent something bigger if we needed to. His only idea is garage the van and use it on the weekends when necessary and pick up something small and cheap for me to run around town to playgroups and appointments. Like a 10 year old or more Accord. But I want airbags and tethers, you know?

I've been reading up on the threads about the Mazda5 and I might go look at one this weekend.

Any other ideas?

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC