MA ajuster not working

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Has anyone had a problem with the adjuster on their MA not working properly?

I have a friend who just bought one because she loved mine and when she pulls to tighten it will start to tighten and then stop way before the harness is even remotely tight. I had to pull quite hard to get it to tighten up properly. I could hear the adjuster mechanism sort of clunk and the strap jerked a bit as I pulled. I have never had this problem with my MA.

Has anyone had this issue? Would you call Britax about it?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I've never had this issue... I'd call Britax about it though, something doesn't sound right.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
It's a ratcheting mechanism. Are you doing the tug-release-tug-release (...) method?

Yes, it doesn't tighten in one smooth pull like other seats do. It takes some getting used to, but she'llget it. A lot of people (most?) don't like the ratcheting system, but it works.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
It's a ratcheting mechanism. Are you doing the tug-release-tug-release (...) method?

I've never had to ratchet mine (especially for FF) before the harness is almost tight.

Even with the tug and release it was a big tug and then a clunk before it would tighten again. There was restriction there and a definate clunking noise. It doesn't happen every time but it does do it quite a bit; i'd say at least once a day.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Jewels - Tam mentioned a MA having come fresh out of the box with the adjuster strap behind the black plate on the back instead of under it. I wonder if this could be the problem?

I'm in agreement that it shouldn't be making that sound, and it shouldn't be catching so early. I'd definitely remove the seat and inspect the routing of the straps and splitter plate and ensure that nothing is underneath the seat or around the base that it could be catching on. (Like a book or something, I've seen things underneath before that have mysteriously gotten there on their own.)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Jewels - Tam mentioned a MA having come fresh out of the box with the adjuster strap behind the black plate on the back instead of under it. I wonder if this could be the problem?

I'm in agreement that it shouldn't be making that sound, and it shouldn't be catching so early. I'd definitely remove the seat and inspect the routing of the straps and splitter plate and ensure that nothing is underneath the seat or around the base that it could be catching on. (Like a book or something, I've seen things underneath before that have mysteriously gotten there on their own.)

I checked it over.

She called Britax and they are sending her and new adjuster strap (not sure how that will help) and also instructed her to remove the black piece from the back to make sure that it isn't getting caught there (which I don't think it is). After she does this she can call back if the problem continues.

xxluckychicxx

I have the same issue with DS's. I had to uninstal it to get it right and now I dont ever adjust it.

If I pull the harness from the back and then pull the adjuster it will sometimes work, but its very jerky. It usually just jerks and acts like its tightening, but doesnt really :confused:.

Hope that made sense :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC