Q about aftermarket products

catccc

Okay, so I know inserts and bundle me's and that type of thing are a big no no. And I know that things like mighty-tite and anything else used in the installation are also a big no-no.

I've also heard that sunshades and mirrors are no good. But they don't void carseat warranties like the above do, since they aren't attached to the car seat or the installation, right?

What about pool noodles and towels for recline? Do they void car seat warranties?

I've decided to stay away from all of the aftermarket things that get attached to the carseat or installation, but I figure things like the sunshades are just as dangerous as my travel mug. So if I'm going to have my travel mug in the car, along with an ice scraper on the floor and whatever other junk (groceries on the way home, etc), than the sunshades and mirrors are okay? (Or okay enough?)

What do you guys think?

ADS

Carefulove

A bit off topic, but is there a list of the things that should be avoided? Like the bundle me's etc?

Also, I think a mirror and/or a sunshade is closer to the child than say your coffe mug or ice scraper. Still an hazard, but not as close as the other items.

crunchierthanthou

each of those is a parental decision. There are cling style sunshades that aren't the projectile hazard like the hard plastic roller type. There are mylar mirrors with soft frames that weigh only a few ounces and aren't going to cause injury when a rf seat rebounds.

pool noodles and towels are fine. In fact, many manuals recommend their use in acheiving a proper recline. What you want to avoid are thick mats that go under the seat. They can interfere with a tight installation and possibly slip in a crash.

The risk is about more than just voiding a warranty. Aftermarket products can pose a real danger in a crash. The bundle me and similar products can compress in a crash. They also interfere with harness routing and acheiving a tight harness fit from the start. There have been cases where infants were thrown from their carseats because of excess material under the harness. Mighty tites have been know to damage seatbelt webbing and retractors. Add to that the fact that there are no standards for aftermarket testing or manufacture and the use of these unregulated products is simply not a good idea.

catccc

The risk is about more than just voiding a warranty.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm aware of the dangers of compression and the fact that the mighty tite can destroy your seat belt. (Read it all here- love the forums, such a chock full of info!)

I've heard horror stories of babies getting ejected right out of their little snowsuits, and the suits are sitting empty all harnessed in right after the accident. So scary and so sad!

I was just trying to draw a line someplace with this kind of stuff, and thought maybe the warranty issue would be a clean place to do it... but maybe it isn't.

Also, the manual for my EFTA that I'm planning on using for LO says you can use a towel to recline, but doesn't specifically say you can use a noodle. Does that mean I should not use a noodle? (I still can't get over the fact that noodles and towels are okay, it seems like such a random fix for some reason!)

catccc

A bit off topic, but is there a list of the things that should be avoided? Like the bundle me's etc?

I think anything that did not come with the carseat that goes anywhere between child and harness or child and seat should be avoided.

Anything that changes installation with the exception of pool noodles and towels (maybe newspapers, too?) should be avoided.

.... as far as I know, at least.

Wineaux

Noodles and towels may both be used. If more than one noodle, and not more than three, are used we usually tape then together just so it's easier to get them in place.

Carefulove

I think anything that did not come with the carseat that goes anywhere between child and harness or child and seat should be avoided.

Anything that changes installation with the exception of pool noodles and towels (maybe newspapers, too?) should be avoided.

.... as far as I know, at least.

Noodles and towels may both be used. If more than one noodle, and not more than three, are used we usually tape then together just so it's easier to get them in place.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

There's actually not a limit to the number of noodles you can use. That said, it would be a RARE situation that you would need more than three.

crunchierthanthou

IAnything that changes installation with the exception of pool noodles and towels (maybe newspapers, too?) should be avoided.

I've seen the newspaper recommendation a few times and I don't think it's well founded. The reason pool noodles and towels are okay is that they aren't going to hurt anyone if they come loose in a crash. It would have to be a pretty severe crash for that to happen, but still. I wouldn't want to get hit in the head with a tightly rolled and taped Sunday paper. :eek:

MomToEliEm

I would be worried about the ink on a newspaper coming off onto the seats (especially leather seats). Also newspaper gets very brittle and deteriorates quickly when left exposed to the elements. I would be worried that a tight install using newspapers would become looser as the paper broke down. I think a towel or pool noodle would be a better choice.

Wineaux

There's actually not a limit to the number of noodles you can use. That said, it would be a RARE situation that you would need more than three.
Hmm... We were told no more than three, but I'm happy that there is a little wiggle room for the really oddball installs.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hmm... We were told no more than three, but I'm happy that there is a little wiggle room for the really oddball installs.

Yeah, I was talking to an instructor about it, and then we had a thread here on it a few days later. I think we determined that the curriculum does not actually state a limit. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though).

crunchierthanthou

Yeah, I was talking to an instructor about it, and then we had a thread here on it a few days later. I think we determined that the curriculum does not actually state a limit. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though).

you are correct. there is no limit stated in the curriculum, although I was told a maximum of three during my certification course as well. personally, I don't know that I'd be comfortable doing any more than that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC