Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

23-lb 2-year-old, mom adamant about FF

I actually had the guts to talk to someone at Target yesterday. She was looking for a seat for her 23-pound 2-year-old (almost 2, or just turned 2). I asked if she was FF or RF, and she adamantly said that she's been FF forever, so I mentioned that at that size, she can still RF. The response was NO WAY so then I pointed out a few seats. She really wanted something that would get her to a booster quickly. Boosters are SO much easier, etc, etc. I told her that since some of the seats harness to 65 pounds, she's better off/safer using the harness that long (nope, she wanted to switch at 40).

Anyway... I showed her the Nautilus and she seemed to like that idea. Did I do the right thing? Is the Nautilus a good choice for someone so little (since RF was NOT an option). She seemed to really like the pink ComfortSport, though she also said that her other kids had a Combi seat that she loved and was hoping to find again.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: 23-lb 2-year-old, mom adamant about FF

Nautilus is great for that kiddo! And the mom will appreciate that it installs easily, has a nice harness, and it actually does become a really nice booster, unlike the Cosco/Evenflo combo seats that are short and not good for SIP. The comfortsport would be outgrown in less than a year even with a tiny kid, but she can use the Nautilus as long as the law commands her (hopefully 8 in your state, or maybe WILL be by then...we can cross our fingers, lol).
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

I think that it's the perfect choice for her. Hopefully, Mom is lazy/cheap and doesn't replace the Nautilus at 40lbs with a booster. Or convert it to a booster. (I forgot about that handy feature! lol)

Also, when people insist on FFing, I try to just stress the importance of tethering the seat.
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    she can use the Nautilus as long as the law commands her (hopefully 8 in your state, or maybe WILL be by then...we can cross our fingers, lol).
    It is!! The law just passed here this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by keri1292 View Post
    Also, when people insist on FFing, I try to just stress the importance of tethering the seat.
    I did mention tethering, and she said she does do it because it must be safer! She said she doesn't like LATCH so she uses the seat belt and the top tether.

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

I think you did a great job. And who knows, with a Nautilus, maybe she will keep her harnessed past 40 lbs.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Thanks everyone! She didn't buy a seat at that point, but was going to talk to her husband about it. My guess is that she'll go back for the ComfortSport... but maybe the practicality and lifespan of the Nautilus will win her and her husband over!

Also, it might take her little one a long time to get to 40lbs. With a two year old that size I think she might not be 40lbs until 5 years old.
    Angie mama to R 4 years, 33 lbs/38 inches in a radian
    W 7 years,66 lbs/51 inches in a parkway
    M 9 years, 58 lbs/51 inches in a parkway

Quote Originally Posted by musicmaj View Post
    Also, it might take her little one a long time to get to 40lbs. With a two year old that size I think she might not be 40lbs until 5 years old.
    Good point. My kids don't hit 40lbs until 6yo. Harness ONLY to 40lbs may be a lot longer than she thought.
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA