Which is safer?

NannyMom

If you're putting a 5 year old in a vehicle w/o Tether anchors, is he safer in the HWH w/o tether, or in a high back booster? For this, let's say the child can sit properly for the short ride. Is the HWH still safer because spreading crash forces over 5 points?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Unless the harnessed seat is one that requires tethering after a certain weight and the child is over that weight, I would choose the harnessed seat.

NannyMom

Am I correct that the harnessed seat is safer just because it has 5 points? Or are there more reasons?

And the Harnessed seat does not require tether.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Am I correct that the harnessed seat is safer just because it has 5 points? Or are there more reasons?

And the Harnessed seat does not require tether.

The five-point harness spreads the crash forces out better. It keeps the child in position better (unless the child isn't wiggly at all). Depending on the size of the child and the booster used, the seat belt may not sit well on the child. Etc.

All the usual reasons that harnessing is better than a booster for a 4-5-6ish kid. :)

NannyMom

The five-point harness spreads the crash forces out better. It keeps the child in position better (unless the child isn't wiggly at all). Depending on the size of the child and the booster used, the seat belt may not sit well on the child. Etc.

All the usual reasons that harnessing is better than a booster for a 4-5-6ish kid. :)

Ok, thanks :) J was ok in the TB this morning, and we won't have to do that anymore. Hmmm....if he goes with a friend for a playdate, should I install the GN in the friend's car, or let him use the HB TB? Of course his Mom says its up to me :whistle:

And I discovered this morning that DH's 2000 Durango already had TAs installed (woohoo!). Now I just have to see if the GN will fit next to DD's RF Titan.

NannyMom

Yes, I did take my CPST course last week. They did tell us that 5 point harness is safer. And that a tethered seat OB is safer then an untethered seat in the center. But this question never came up, and I didn't really think about it until last night. And I was actually pretty sure that the HWH would still be safer because of the 5pt, I just wanted to make sure (and make sure there weren't more reasons I wasn't thinking of). This is a child that spent over a year in a backless booster, so I figured 1 ride in the HBB would be ok, knowing he could sit correctly. I would kinda prefer the 8 year old be in a HWH because it's safer and she fits. But everyone here is telling me a HBB is ok.

I think I remember them telling me (in the course) as long as the child can sit properly, and are big enough (deffinetly over 40 pounds), booster is ok.

Though seeing him in the HBB today, I really doubt I'd make that choice today. The novelty of not being harnessed made him want to play around a little more. If we did it more often, I'm sure he'd forget to sit properly

TerisBoys

As far as a playdate goes - I might send a booster for that simply because it would be easier for the other mom to use properly than a harnessed seat. Check and see if her shoulderbelts lock, and show her how to lock it on him. This helps control the fidget-iness.

My two cents - He's at an age where you can start teaching him how to sit properly in a booster for short trips. Keeping him in a harness will not do this, and every time he's in a booster he will act the way he did this time.

Even my 5yo can handle a booster for short trips. And he has some delays that make harnessing on anything longer than about 10 minutes crucial for both his safety and my sanity. Do I prefer him in his Nautilus? YES. But do I worry when he leaves with his dad in his Vivo? No. Because A) It's a short trip and B) if it's a longer trip, his stepmom keeps her eyes on him and his stepsis to make sure they stay seated properly.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes, I did take my CPST course last week. They did tell us that 5 point harness is safer. And that a tethered seat OB is safer then an untethered seat in the center. But this question never came up, and I didn't really think about it until last night. And I was actually pretty sure that the HWH would still be safer because of the 5pt, I just wanted to make sure (and make sure there weren't more reasons I wasn't thinking of). This is a child that spent over a year in a backless booster, so I figured 1 ride in the HBB would be ok knowing he could sit correctly.

But that wasn't your question. Yes, a HBB would probably be okay for a child that age and size. However, you asked "which is safer" and the answer is that a harnessed seat is unquestionably safer.

NannyMom

But that wasn't your question. Yes, a HBB would probably be okay for a child that age and size. However, you asked "which is safer" and the answer is that a harnessed seat is unquestionably safer.

You're right. THat's what I asked, and I got my answer :) I already knew the right answer, but the no tether issue was confusing me :eek: However, when I flipped DH seats up to get something from the back, I found the tether (I had looked before, but didn't flip the seats).

Now another question that I know never came up in the course :) There's a Mom at school who has DD boostered in a Graco CArgo. The tech that did her seats said it has to be LATCHED into the seat. I know the GC can be LATCHED, but does it have to be? Also, if it is LATCHED in booster mode, does it have to be as tight as it would be in harness mode? Or just tight enough that it doesn't slide around when the child gets in and out? If it were my child and my seat, I'd keep it LATCHED tight. But, the Mom wants to know what the "rule" is. I did tell her to look in the manual, but when I looked in mine it didn't say (unless I missed it).

mish

A seat never has to be LATCHed. It is an option. (unless for some reason the manual tells you to)

As far as how tight, it doesn't have to be tight. The reason you LATCH a seat in booster mode is so that it doesn't become a projectile when it is not occupied. I was using the Nautilus in booster mode with LATCH and I didn't make it tight. I LATCH it and pull out all the slack, but I don't get it as tight as I would with the harness.

NannyMom

Thanks Mish. I didn't think what the other tech told her sounded right. I knew it didn't HAVE to be LATCHED, but I didn't know about tightness if it was :) I'll pass the info on

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC