How old in a MA?

britfish

DD is 4YO and is 30lbs. she is lots of legs so she still has one more harness height in her MA. I am guessing by height and weight she will be able to be in this for quite some time, but I am wondering if any of you have 5 or 6yo in a MA? Will she/we be ready for more of a booster by then? I am just thinking ahead...

ADS

NannyMom

My 5 year old charge is a big 5 year old. He is just barely over the top slots of the MA. He could probobly be in a high back booster (he was this morning to go to school), but we're much more comfortable with him in a harnessed seat, she he has a Nautilus. He has a 5 year old friend that I think would still be bale to fit in the MA. J is in the top slots of the Nautilus (his shoulder were barely above the 2nd to top), and his friend would still be in the 2nd to top slots of Nautilus.

Hmmm....maybe the 2nd to top slots on the Nautilus are the same as the tops on the MA? When DH brings me my van later, I can check.

Wineaux

As long as they still fit correctly in the MA, keep them in it. A 5-point harness is more than 50% safer than a booster seat for a child that sits correctly in the booster seat 100% of the time. It's MUCH safer than that if the child doesn't fit in the booster correctly, or can't sit correctly in the booster 100% of the time.

skaterbabs

My daughter will be five one month from tomorrow. She's within half an inch of outgrowing her MA, but she has the insanely long torso that comes from her Daddy's side of the family. She's been in the top slots since her third birthday.

A child with a more average torso could make it to six or more.

J-max

CPST Instructor
My 5.5 year old is at the very top harness level in the BLVD. She could prob still sit in it, but it is very questionable if it is at her shoulds or below it (passed it down to the baby, she rides in a regent). But my oldest is very tall and would have out grown it around 3.5 or so.

britfish

thanks so much for your replies! We are going to move her in to a Frontier in DH's truck so when I say booster that is what I am refering to! This issue only came up because our MA is not locking in to the upright position and Britax will replace it for $100. I just wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money if we would be getting a Frontier for my car in the near future. It sounds like there are plenty of 5 and 6 year olds still in MA!

My dd is 6.5yyo and still in the MA. Her current stats are in my siggy.
This pic was taken 6wks ago, its the most recent that I have with her in the MA.

Last edited:

Wineaux

thanks so much for your replies! We are going to move her in to a Frontier in DH's truck so when I say booster that is what I am refering to! This issue only came up because our MA is not locking in to the upright position and Britax will replace it for $100. I just wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money if we would be getting a Frontier for my car in the near future. It sounds like there are plenty of 5 and 6 year olds still in MA!

OK, if it were me, I would be arguing with Britax over that $100 charge. Yes, it's a really good price for a new MA, and if you choose your covers correctly, and sell the new cover on eBay you can pretty much cover that $100 cost, but...

The reason that the recline is failing is because Britax told its customers to use the top tether when RF to achieve the proper recline, rather than allowing pool noodles. Their instructions broke their seat. They are liable. Me? I'd press the issue because I think they would cave in if they are only even somewhat smart. In or out of warranty should never matter in a case like this. Period.

britfish

I think I will call them back and argue the fee. I agree $100 is a good price but I don't want to drop another $100 on this seat, thats why I bought a quality seat to begin with. Shes also at the age where we are thinking of moving her to a booster (frontier) so spending the money on the MA is just something I am not interested in doing. I really love my MA so I've been torn on the $100 part. Thanks for the encouragement, I am going to call them today.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC