Me and DH disagree-Child in front or in booster

I can easily fit 3-across my backseat with 3-boosters, I can not with any seats I have right now... :-(
So...until I get the radians I need.... Dh said I shouldn't put any kid in the front seat of my van(2007 kia sedona with smart-airbag)....
So, he thinks I should put Logan in a booster (34 pounds(huge weight growth recently-39 inches, 3 1/2 years old...(4 end of january)... instead of a kid in the front seat(harenssed).

I think the opposite..... Tell us who is right or wrong?

This is just for 2 days a week for a quick trip(which I know accidents can happen)-for a 3 minute ride both ways...

ADS

skaterbabs

Most protected child in the least protected spot. Technically that means the oldest harnessed child should go in front.

However, when I was in a similar spot, I put my oldest boostered child in the front seat because my harnessed child spent far more time in the car. DS was in school and I did most of my errands during that time frome to aviod taking him places whenever possible, rather than move DD's harnessed seat in and out every time. Since she would be in the car ten times for every one trip he would take, for my family it was the choice that required the least amount of stress.

My car is a 2 door Jeep Cherokee, and moving her seat in and out of the front was a hassle I did not care to deal with when it was 35* and raining. At that point in time we did not have seats that would allow us to put all three kids in the back.

At this point I would call it a parental choice, based on the driving patterns of your family, but technically the oldest harnessed child should go in front.

capeKO71

Can you move the boy out of the frontier and put him in a regular booster, and then use the frontier in harness mode? Not sure of what seats you have where... so the frontier might not be in one of the trouble spots.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Not sure what all your seating options are, but I would NOT put Logan in a booster - not at that age, and especially not considering the fact that he's constantly bugging you for a booster anyway. He'd never stop complaining about his harnessed set if you let him ride in a booster sometimes.

I'd put the oldest harnessed kid in the front seat (even if it's him), with the vehicle seat all the way back, before I'd put him in a booster in the back.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree with skaterbabs that it is a parental decision, but assuming that there are no other choices other than booster in back or harness in front, since the child does meet the minimums for booster use, I think I would opt for booster center back over front seat.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I agree with skaterbabs that it is a parental decision, but assuming that there are no other choices other than booster in back or harness in front, since the child does meet the minimums for booster use, I think I would opt for booster center back over front seat.

Really? You would be OK with her 34 lb 3.5 YO in a booster seat? (I know, parental choice and all ... )

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No, I would not be OKAY with it, but I would consider it the less bad of two bad choices. The child does meet the minimums for booster use, and while we always try to do better than the minimum, it doesn't seem possible in this case. As I understand it, it's only okay to put a child in the front seat if all back seat positions are occupied, and they would not be.

ETA that I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" answer to this question.

I am torn here..... I so don't want to put him in a booster at all....but now dh has me worried about the front(don't get me wrong he is all for ERF and EH)...
So, I tried Logan in the Graco HBB this morning(just to size it up) and I hate how he fits in it-shoulder belt goes across his neck(I have a picture I will upload later). He fits WAY WAY WAY better in the FPSV booster.
But... that said I am still not sure what to do..... I don't have this issue again till next week since daycare girl switched to thursday instead of wednesday....
So........more opinions.... and I am trying to sell the ETA and mabey the frontier to front 2 radians.....

skaterbabs

I would NOT be okay with a 34 lb 3 1/2 yo child in a booster. Yes, it's parental choice, but not a good choice IMO. There is just too much evidence that boosters under 5 are not a good thing.

Wineaux

Yep, for me I'd put the most protected child in a 5-point harness up front with the seat pushed back all the way. I too wouldn't feel comfortable about putting a 3.5 year old in a booster. Especially if this is just a temporary solution until you get the new Radians in January.

I know my decision is 99.9% to put Logan or michael in the 5-point harness in the front seat.... My husband is the one who needs convincing(not that it matters, cuz he knows my rules with the carseats... LOL)... it is just something we were disagreeing on.

Yes, I got a Regent from the Kyle miller foundation, but I needed to get to the back of my van easily to access the 3rd row and with the regent I coudl not.... with 5-6 kids in my van that was a must, so I sold my regent for exactly the price of a radian and got a radian. I wanted the extra torso height of the frontier and was having a hard time installing it wtih the seatblet(my son had to get out of latch as he was 48 pounds) so got that one(traded someone here my radian for her frontier....
)..... that said I really think I need 2 radians..... I worked with my friends radian in my van the other day and got the radians installed with the seatbelt-it was a pain, but was finally able to do it....

So....now that michael is 50 pounds and almost 6 in 2 months, I decided I am ok with him in a booster when he outgrows the radian...... He has had the frontier or his graco high back in booster mode since we were having issues with the frontier's splinter plate..... and he has been sitting perfect in it....no problems(where as a month ago he would be all over the car---since school has started I have seen a real maturity change in him).

Anywyas..... now I am done rambling.... If I had no daycare kids or just one daycare kid I would so have Michael in the regent still and logan would have his FPSVD(which actually is in my cousin's car who drives him to preschool 2-days a week) and his ETA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC