Britax prices seem out of control...

mimieliza

I'm glad I'm not shopping for a seat right now, but honestly, the sale sucks! A year ago, you could get a Marathon for $199-209, and I bought my Boulevard for $240. Now Boulevards are on sale for $280 and Marathons are $250... a $40 increase in one year. Excessive, IMO.

ADS

BW1426

It sucks :(

But, at least they warned us that they'd be cracking down on pricing control.

hsjwmom

It really is strange, considering how many other great hwh seats are available for a better price now. I can't wait until the new TruFit with anti-rebound bar comes out! I'll be looking at it when dd3 outgrows her RA rfing. You know, come to think of it, I won't be buying any more Britax seats. There are so many better options for my needs now. Weird.

crunchierthanthou

the code VISABABY is taking another $25 off the MAs at amazon, making them $225 shipped. That's not the best we've ever seen, but not too shabby compared to current prices.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It really is strange, considering how many other great hwh seats are available for a better price now. I can't wait until the new TruFit with anti-rebound bar comes out! I'll be looking at it when dd3 outgrows her RA rfing. You know, come to think of it, I won't be buying any more Britax seats. There are so many better options for my needs now. Weird.

Aside from the dd3 part, I completely agree with you. Even if I found out I was pregnant tomorrow, I would not buy another Britax convertible, and I think the price on the Frontier is absolutely ridiculous - the only way I could justify it would be if I needed a booster that tall due to low seatbacks or something.

Not too long ago Britax had something special - higher weight limits & harness heights, EPS foam when it wasn't standard on pretty much all seats - that kind of thing. Now there are other companies who have done the same thing but done it better. Why would I pay more money for less use? Doesn't make sense to me personally. I will also admit to having lost a lot of confidence in them as a brand over the last year though for a number of reasons, so that may influence my opinion too.

BW1426

I think the TSIP was a big seller too, but with the Radian getting all spiffed up, I think even the TSIP might be given a run for its money. And, I think that anti-rebound bar is the best damn thing to happen to American carseats in awhile. Not sure why it took them so long to figure it out. Next...I'm hoping to see a carseat with built in RFing footrest like Swedish seats...but, I'm overjoyed with the changes I've seen so far, I don't want to be too greedy ;)

I don't think most people really want huge seats if a smaller seats can offer the same thing.

I like my Marathon for LATCH bars and RFing tethering.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
If I had to get a convertible today, I probably would go for a MA. I like the RF tether and how easy it is to use. But I won't lie...I'm really hoping the TruFit with the rebound bar is out when it's time to move this baby into a convertible.

Susan

keri1292

If we had the need for another seat soon, I'd be ordering the new True Fit. :love:

There are soo many competing seats out there right now. Lowering the prices would've been a better move. :whistle: Let's just hope that they're using all that extra cash to devlop a new, improved seat.

I doubt that I'll ever buy another Britax convertible, but the Regent is still tops on my list, despite the beastly installation. Dd just loves that big, comfy seat.

NannyMom

I do like my MA for RF tethering. I know when my boss' baby needs convertibles (for 3 cars), there's no way MomBoss will buy Britax. I really can't wait for the new TF w/ rebound bar :whistle: And when DD outgrows her Titans or Sceneras..... TF may be it (or GN if she's FF already)

amy919

I do have much love for my MA and I absolutely adored my RA. I liked the Regent enough, but would never buy another one. Like someone else pointed out, at one point in time, Britax was IT. I mean, there really was no competition for HWH seats. That's changed a lot over the last year and I think Britax, in the long term, will need to make some serious changes to stay on top.

I do think that Britax has a few key features that people will continue to spend the money for, like the cover options, RF tether, ease of install, lock offs, etc. Not to mention their name and reputation. But with so many other options available, I do see them potentially losing market share more and more. I personally will not buy another Britax when Teagan is done with the MA. She'll likely move to a GN at that point like Kaylie did, unless there is something better out by that time.

If I were to have another child, I'm not sure what I'd buy. I don't like infant buckets, so I have no clue what I would do on that end. I certainly wouldn't need a higher weight limit one, so I'd buy a reasonably priced one and use it for a short time. But I would absolutely buy another RA in a heartbeat, even for 2 years of use. I probably wouldn't buy another MA, although I do love it, because of that dang base. Honestly, that's MY biggest issue with the Britax seats. If they would just get rid of those stupid high bases, I'd be back on board.

Wineaux

What you are also not figuring in is the increased cost of goods since the last September sale. Oil is up, so the cost of plastic is higher. Diesel is up, so the cost of goods rises at every level. It costs more to have the raw materials shipped to the manufacturing plant, the cost of the energy to run the plant is higher, and it costs more to ship the product to their retailers who in turn pass that cost along to you.

I'm not sure how anyone would have thought the prices would be the same or lower than last year. As it is, it's obvious that Britax has been eating a lot of those costs because we haven't seen any real retail price increases. What that means is that their profit margins are much lower, and therefor they are not giving as deep a discount to their retailers this year for the September sale. To be honest, if the economy continues to go down the proverbial toilet, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they skipped next year's February sale altogether...

seamonkeys

What you are also not figuring in is the increased cost of goods since the last September sale. Oil is up, so the cost of plastic is higher. Diesel is up, so the cost of goods rises at every level. It costs more to have the raw materials shipped to the manufacturing plant, the cost of the energy to run the plant is higher, and it costs more to ship the product to their retailers who in turn pass that cost along to you.

I'm not sure how anyone would have thought the prices would be the same or lower than last year. As it is, it's obvious that Britax has been eating a lot of those costs because we haven't seen any real retail price increases. What that means is that their profit margins are much lower, and therefor they are not giving as deep a discount to their retailers this year for the September sale. To be honest, if the economy continues to go down the proverbial toilet, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they skipped next year's February sale altogether...

Totally agree with Wineaux.

It's not their normal retail prices that have shot up, it's just their sales aren't as low this time around.

I would still buy a Britax. I love how easy the MA is to install if you have to move to another car!! I have a Radian, but it's a pain to install, but it doesn't usually leave DH's truck, so it works well in there because it has no base. But I wouldn't buy one for everyday use. I've thought about the TF, but it looks too complicated to install with the seatbelt and overall just seems so bulky. Also not a fan of the removable headrest.

Anyway, that's my :twocents:

mum2two

I did see some lower prices at Albeebaby and travelingtikes...like 219 and 229 yesterday and even some cute covers....but luckily I am flush with 4 MA's and 2 Regents...but sure would love a girly Regent cover..

Heather98012

Also, I'll gladly pay more for a seat made in the USA. If we want to keep jobs here in the US, you have to support countries who operate here.

Wineaux

VISABABY takes $25 off any qualifying purchase from Amazon Baby when using a Visa card as payment. If you sign up, and get approved for a new Amazon Visa card, then you will get an additional $30 refunded to your card.

On a side note... If you ever get a free magazine subscription from Amazon for buying something, you can choose to get a rebate for the amount the subscription is worth. ;)

kate4478

VISABABY takes $25 off any qualifying purchase from Amazon Baby when using a Visa card as payment. If you sign up, and get approved for a new Amazon Visa card, then you will get an additional $30 refunded to your card.

On a side note... If you ever get a free magazine subscription from Amazon for buying something, you can choose to get a rebate for the amount the subscription is worth. ;)

awesome! :D Thanks Wineaux! off to go shop!

mimieliza

I didn't expect them to be the same as last year, but a $40 increase on a Marathon is a 20% increase in prices... I would expect them to raise the prices more like 5-10% each year.

And if the economy continues to go down the toilet, brands and retailers will have to have MORE sales, not fewer, and focus on cost as well as quality, or they will go out of business.

Also, I'll gladly pay more for a seat made in the USA. If we want to keep jobs here in the US, you have to support countries who operate here.

I will too, unless they price gouge us in an attempt to make their brand seem exclusive and upscale.

I guess I'm just uncomfortable with a huge jump in prices on seats that are already very expensive. They are becoming... dare I say it about our beloved Britax... overpriced for what they are offering.

It seems the regular prices gone up quite a bit, not just the sale prices. I don't remember it being $270 for a Marathon and $310 for a Boulevard last year - seems they have gone up at least $20-$30.

Momof4Girls

Marathons ran $249 or $259 last year, before the price hike, Regents, $269. The overall pricing went up by $10/seat.

Raechel

Wineaux

Yep, the regular retail prices have hardly gone up. The BV was redesigned as the new BV-CS, so that model is a bit more expensive than the previous generation. Now the big difference you are seeing is that there is a lot smaller discount being given to online retailers for them to offer discounts to the consumer during the September sale. So yes, during the sale, the percentage increase is greater. When not on sale though, the percentage increase is rather small.

Also, as a previous poster noted, Britax is one of the few (only?) car seat manufacturers still manufacturing seats in the USA. Almost all seats are manufactured in China nowadays. Yes, that brings down the costs, but it also causes some issues. Recaro Como/Signo launch anyone? Me? I think we should be supporting a US based company still manufacturing here in the US. And yes... That means I'll have to pay a little bit more for my seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC