Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Time Magazine article~Traffic circles reduce injury rate.

I found this article very interesting. As an advocate for safety, I feel that it is well worth our time to support local efforts to put in traffic circles and roundabouts.

The small town I lived in until recently put one in a couple of years ago. WHile I will agree with critics that the building of the circles is a major pain, it is definitely worth the trouble.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...838753,00.html
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Time Magazine article~Traffic circles reduce injury rate.

they just put several in our town(we're not that far from Carmel, actually) and they are a PITA. Noone knows how to drive in them and people stop and the wrong people yield or go..it's maddening.
    BUT, they absolutely do put you "on alert" and i can totally see how they would reduce serious injuries...iunlike a stadard stop light, where you might be "T-bioned" by someone running a red, everyone in the roundy is going somewhat slowly, and basically in the same direction (except of course for the A-holes who go the WRONG way in them..oh yes, we have LOTS of people who think that if they want to end up on the street to their left, they turn left into the roundy(clockwise) and literally nearly head -on those of us with working cerebrums..) but in general, even if you "crash" in one, it is going to be a side-on-side "brush against each other" type collision, which is generally going to produce little or no serious injuries.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

I think they're fine as long as they don't put a light rail track through them like the roundabout on a local campus.

In America, they're deadly. Why? Cuz Americans can't drive. Driving tests are WAY too easy here. There's one at the local mall. Just put in. I hate the thing. I have no problems navigating it, but most people don't. They either get too scared to merge in and slam on their brakes or they blow right in at 40 mph without yielding. Either way, I've already seen countless near accidents in the short time they've put that thing in. Same with the few other roundabouts I've seen elsewhere in the US.

Senior Community Member

There's one in my hometown and it's really easy to navigate. The roundabout is set up so you have no choice but to turn right.
    Mama to Madison 1/12 Johnathon 11/14

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Thanks for posting the article link. I've been meaning to post a related link and you jarred my memory to do so. IIHS has a helpful online video about roundabouts to cover the basics, sort of a Roundabout 101. Scroll down to the "Research, vehicle safety, and consumer information" section of this IIHS web video list and click on the video entitled, "How roundabouts work - learn the mechanics of a roundabout and how they help reduce crashes." If only it were mandatory viewing for every driver before driving through a roundabout for the first time. It helped me figure out how to navigate through one that was recently built in my area. The other clueless drivers I encountered in it could have benefited from watching it, too. At least they were driving very slowly instead of trying to beat a yellow or red light at a traditional intersection.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Here is a thread where we discussed roundabouts... http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...ght=roundabout
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

I live in a town that is CRAZY about roundabouts... I do see how they might reduce injuries and fatalities (slower speed, traffic all moving in one direction). But I would guess they actually increase minor accidents. They are difficult to get the feel for... my Subaru has a dented fender as evidence of my ineptitude when I first moved here.

Now I'm a roundabout fan, but man, if you don't know what you're doing they can throw you for a loop (pun intended).
    michelle mama to
    dd 10.30.06 graco connext & recaro performance booster
    ds 5.4.10 sunshine kids radian xtsl & graco nautilus safety surround
    riding safely in a 2014 mazda 5 and a 2002 subaru forester

Yeah... I have to say I don't agree with them reducing injury... maybe injury because people are going slightly slower... but here on Cape Cod, we have just removed 1 major rotary (spending millions) and will probably remove more as time goes on... it's a nightmare in the summer because people come from all over and half of them have no idea how to drive in a rotary. The only accident I've ever been in was IN a rotary (I was on the hard inside with right of way and some crazy guy in a big work truck flew out into the rotary side swiping me... )
    Kate - Mom to 2 boys! - CPST

It's off! Yipee!

I live right outside Carmel, and I enjoy the roundabouts...as long as there are no other cars around. Like previous posters have said, most people just don't seem to understand the concept.
    Katherine
    married to Gabe 9/20/2002
    Berkley 1/28/2003

I agree with everything said. I'm all for roundabouts to prevent accidents, but first, while construction is underway, they need to up the training and make everyone required to know how to navigate them properly (or just give us all tickets to sweden... we could carseat shop and take driver's ed)

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Carseat Crazy

The city that I grew up in (and learned to drive in) had several, so they're a normal road feature for me. I believe that more are being built as "traffic calming measures", particularly near schools.