Sunshine Kids Monterey?

spcamno

Since I need a booster seat quite badly anyone knows when the Monterey will be available to purchase?

I will need a second one for our other vehicle anyone has a parkway in good condition willing to part with please let me know.

Also, can someone confirm whether the Britax Monarch will available to Canada or not because if not I have to go for other option(s).

Thanks!;)

ADS

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
Last I heard from SSK was that they should be in the port of Vancouver now and hopefully on the shelves within 2 weeks - probably before. The Britax booster isn't coming into Canada to the best of my knowledge (but I have been known to be wrong):whistle:

spcamno

Last I heard from SSK was that they should be in the port of Vancouver now and hopefully on the shelves within 2 weeks - probably before. The Britax booster isn't coming into Canada to the best of my knowledge (but I have been known to be wrong):whistle:

Thanks for your info.

I just told by a store in T.O. that they should be getting some in within a month so I just want to verify if the person I spoken with is telling the truth or not.

He also told me the clek Oobr won't be here until next year (early spring) and don't really knows what to get after the Monterey because we have two vehicles.

Anybody has anything to suggest?:confused:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Britax has discontinued the Monarch - they no longer manufacture any dedicated boosters, so I can say with 99% certainty that they are not going to certify what little stock is left to CMVSS standards to send to Canada.

Clek posts on the boards here, and I believe the date for the Oobr in Canada was given as March, which would be early spring...

You could always go with a compass booster, or a Nautilus if you have need for the harness at some point? Even a turbo booster wouldn't be a horrid option if you just wanted something to tide you through until the Oobr is here.

bubbaray

Sears and TRU/BRU are selling the Compass 530 booster. Walmart/Zellers etc have the 505, which has lower belt slots and no headwings. THe 530 headwings apparently aren't as deep as the 510 that people in the US love, but the height of the belt positioners on the 530 are 2" higher than the 505.

HTH

spcamno

Thanks Snowbird & bubbaray for your reply and advice!

My plan is to get the Monterey for the time being and wait for something else comes up or check out the Oobr when its available for our other vehicle.

Since DS mostly ride in our Odyssey we can live with one booster until then.

I am surprise that we have improved quite a bit on selection on HWH seat while the choice of HB booster reduces.!!??!!

I would love to see higher end booster like the Regent / Monarch coming into Canada..........may be it will never happen!:(

snowbird25ca

I would love to see higher end booster like the Regent / Monarch coming into Canada..........may be it will never happen!:(

I highly doubt the Regent will ever come to Canada - although it's not a booster, it is strictly a ff'ing harnessed seat.

The Monarch is discontinued, so I'm sure it will never happen since it'll probably be near impossible to find one in the US within the year.

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, but we're just not really seeing much in the way of new boosters coming to market aside from the Oobr and Monterey - certainly not the way that there has been a huge influx of new seats and HWH seats. And this applies for the US market too. The only one currently in development for the US market and not for Canada is the Chicco one. It's still a ways away from market in the US from what I understand, so who knows - maybe it will come to Canada in a similar time frame too? The US does have a few brands of boosters that we don't have, but I don't think it's a huge #.

Maybe it's because most parents aren't that selective when it comes to booster seats, so the market hasn't been competition driven the same way as the harnessed seats? Who knows....

spcamno

Maybe it's because most parents aren't that selective when it comes to booster seats, so the market hasn't been competition driven the same way as the harnessed seats? Who knows....

Thanks for the clarificationon the regent and I agreed that may be most parents not paying as much attention to car seats when compares to their child when they are younger but as far as I'm concern the risk of being injured in any accident is not lowered when the child grow older.

I have seen many toddlers injured in car accident while many infant in their rear facing car seat receive no injury in same extend type of vehicle damage during accident.

I really like the idea South of the border where they allow some HWH seat upto 80 pounds such as our currently Radian Permier which is in fact a Radian 80.:thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Thanks for the clarificationon the regent and I agreed that may be most parents not paying as much attention to car seats when compares to their child when they are younger but as far as I'm concern the risk of being injured in any accident is not lowered when the child grow older.

I have seen many toddlers injured in car accident while many infant in their rear facing car seat receive no injury in same extend type of vehicle damage during accident.

I really like the idea South of the border where they allow some HWH seat upto 80 pounds such as our currently Radian Permier which is in fact a Radian 80.:thumbsup:

I know that many like the idea of 80lb seats, but to be perfectly honest, most kids don't make it to 80lbs in those seats. Perhaps the Regent, but the Radian 80 is almost always outgrown by 65lbs since it's identical to the R65. It's only a short torso'ed child who is on the higher end of the weight charts that will make 80lbs in it.

Honestly speaking, 80lbs is overkill for the vast majority of kids. With the exception of very young children who are very heavy, kids aren't dying due to lack of 80lb seats. Kids die due to non-restraint, misuse, or premature graduation from one stage to the next. Or they die because a collision is unsurvivable for whatever reason. A 50lb 6yr old who fits well and sits properly in a booster is perfectly safe. Those aren't the kids who are at greatest risk.

And for special needs children we do have vests that are approved for use in Canada. You just have to go through special channels to get one. That would then allow a special needs child to be harnessed past 65lbs - and I'm sure if a parent had a 65lb 2yr old that they would be able to have access to this option as well.

I'm not disagreeing with you specifically, as the idea is one that I've seen posted on the CDN forum in the not so distant past. However, I strongly disagree with there being a true need for 80lb limit seats.

hipmaman

Just a quick reply before going to work :)

I'd rather see harness seats with high harness slots like the Regent (20"ish) and don't necessary care about the 80 lbs. Most kids outgrow carseats by height before they even get close to the weight limit. So it's okay if we won't ever get carseat for more than 65", but more seat with higher harness slots would be great.

Too bad the Frontier is not as high :(

wendyc

Hi, the Monterey is now available for purchase in Canada. They are now in stock in the distributors warehouse. (I know as I am a retailer who will be stocking them.) I would assume they are available to see "in person" at T.J.'s now for those of you who live in B.C. (the distributor of the seats runs the T.J.'s stores)

QuassEE

I'll head out to the TJs HQ in Vancouver tomorrow, since I have a class at UBC and it's en route :) I'll let you all know.

-N.

QuassEE

I actually have some experience with it already, since I'm right on the border and I'm also a US tech. I really do like the seat, and I think that with the Parkway being gone that the Monterey will fly off the shelves... The Parkway actually sold out just prior to the booster law coming into place here in British Columbia, so we've had a tough time recommending boosters for people over this last few months...

-Nicole.

wendyc

Thanks for the info. As a retailer (and a relatively new one) I need all the feedback I can get. (I didn't even know about this site until someone posted a link to my site in another thread - I'm lucky they did - I have found so much here that is relative to what I do.)

spcamno

Hi, the Monterey is now available for purchase in Canada. They are now in stock in the distributors warehouse. (I know as I am a retailer who will be stocking them.) I would assume they are available to see "in person" at T.J.'s now for those of you who live in B.C. (the distributor of the seats runs the T.J.'s stores)

Thank you for your post!

I was told by the a local store on Friday afternoon the same thing.

The lady was really nice I called in the morning about the availability on the Monterey and she call back about couple hours later and told me she have spoken with the rep and the Monterey are already in BC awaiting to be distributed.

She was hoping sometime next week or latest by the end of Sept. I have pre-paid for one already and as soon as I pick it up will post pics of the seat.

U

Unregistered

Just thought I would update this thread. I bought the Monterey from Junior baby.com Canadian online site. Order was placed Oct 5th and received a e-mail Oct 9th that said there was a problem with the Transport Canada stickers and they hoped to receive the shipment within a week or so. I am still waiting. Thought I would give them till Tuesday of next week before I send another e-mail asking if the problem is fixed. Monday was a long weekend so they lost a day this week already.

Hope the seats are shipped quickly, can't wait to get my hands on mine for my son.

spcamno

I have picked up the Monterey in Toronto yesterday already but I think there was a problme with the server here so I can post any update.

Anyway, I pre-order back in early September and the store called yestersay morning said they just got it and now has mounted and ds loves it so much.

I've got the red one and seen the grey one on display so I assume all the color available on the Monterey is offer for Canadian market as well.

The seat I've got has a sticker shown manufactured date : Aug 15, 2008 not sure about the labeling issue but I think its listed pounds first then bracket ( ) kg and can someone verify is that the label should be under the recall or should I call them and have them ship to me?

hipmaman

Here is the notice...

Road Safety
Information: 1-800-333-0371 TP 14566 — Public Notice
Child Restraint Systems
2008-P05 E
October xx, 2008

Monterey Booster Cushion
Incorrect English Language Warning Label and Missing Date of Manufacture Information

Manufacturer: Sunshine Kids Juvenile Products
3104 142nd Avenue East
Suite 105
Sumner WA 98390T
USA
Tel.: 253-859-5700
Fax: 253-859-5800
Importer: Peter John M. Distributions Inc.
88 SW Marine Drive
Vancouver BC V5X 2R1
Tel: 604-324-2851
Fax: 604-324-2876
Consumer Contact: Tel: 1-888-597-0992
Models and Model Numbers Affected: Monterey Booster Model C15000
Dates of Manufacture: August and September 2008
Number of Units 1,400
Geographic Distribution: Canada

Issue:
Sunshine Kids Juvenile Products and Transport Canada wish to inform the public of two non-compliance conditions, pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Restraint Systems and Booster Cushion Safety Regulations (RSSR) with respect to the Monterey booster cushion, Model C15000.

The first non-compliance condition relates to the English language warning label that states the weight and height use specifications in Imperial units followed by the International System of Units (ISU (metric)) in parentheses. This label should read the ISU units first with the Imperial units following in brackets. The weight and height specification ranges are not in question. The French language label is not affected.
The second non-compliance condition is the omission of the Date of Manufacture information which is required to be indelibly moulded into or onto every booster cushion, or indelibly printed on a label affixed to it in a permanent manner, in both official languages.

Safety Risk:

Use of the booster cushion is not affected with respect to either the incorrect order of the weight and height ranges or the missing Date of Manufacture information, as there is a serial number on every booster that can be tracked in the event of a future Public Notice.

Background and Company Action:

The non-compliant label was identified by Transport Canada during a conversation with the manufacturer. The importer identified the missing Date of Manufacture information when the first shipment of product arrived in Canada.

Sunshine Kids Juvenile Products was informed immediately of the non-compliant English language warning label. The importer stopped shipment of the product to the retail outlets from their warehouse and discovered that the Date of Manufacture information was also missing. The retail outlets that had received stock from the importer were requested to stop sales of the units until they had received and affixed the new English language warning label and the Date of Manufacture label.
The company has reprinted both the English language warning label and the Date of Manufacture label which will be affixed to the booster cushions at the importer’s warehouse and at the retail outlets before sale.
Consumer Recourse:
As this is a new product for Canada, it is unlikely to have any significant retail sales at this time, however, for those that have been sold, the consumer should contact the importer at the toll free number (1-888-597-0992) to receive both labels free of charge.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC