WDYD when you see an unsafe carseat situation?

amyd

In church this morning, a couple had their 2-3 week old baby in an Evenflo Embrace (I think) and they had an aftermarket head hugger thingy in there. If that wasn't bad enough, they didn't even have the straps threaded through the slots in the head hugger:eek: They just had it kind of over the straps, but in order for the straps to fasten at the chest clip, the straps had to come over the sides of the head hugger so it wasn't even resting on the child's shoulders! I was trying to figure out a polite way to tell them that this was NOT safe, but couldn't come up with anything so I ended up not saying anything:eek: What would you have done?

ADS

monstah

I don't say anything, but I think it is going to depend on your personality.

I would love to tell people everytime I see an unsafe car seat situation. But in reality, it is FAR too common, people can become VERY defensive, and I (personally) am just very bad with confrontation.

Some parents will respond to suggestions politely and be thankful. Unfortunately, there are some people who will become very defensive. They can easily upset me and it takes me a long time to get over anything "confrontational".

If you have the type of personality that will be able to handle possibly upsetting situations then maybe I'd mention how "I had one of those for my baby, BUT, at a car seat check I learned...." or maybe "I have tried out a bunch of car seats for my little guys, can I offer you some advice? What is important to you?"

It would be AWESOME if you are able to help some parents, some kiddos at becoming safer in their car.
Some parents want / need someone to head them in the right direction.
But some just don't.

Maybe consider becoming a CPST.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Invite a local CPST to do a workshop or seatcheck event at the church.

Don't give specific unsolicited advice. It usually backfires & sometimes potentially dangerously for your own family.

If anything, just fawn over the cuteness of their child & let them know that you've learned a lot about carseat safety & would love to chat with them about it if they're interested. This might or might not open the conversation up so that they actually do ask for advice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC