Monterey - really only for big kids when you compare (pics included)

Kat_Momof3

Model 1 - 44" tall, 43lbs... used to represent an older rider still small. She is actually 4.5yrs old and does not ride in a booster yet, but there are kids older than her by 1-3yrs that are her size, so I think she's a good model. Her shoulders are broader than those of some of her classmates who are similar to her in size and they are broader than her hips, so I think the issue with the shoulderbelt would be worse on a narrower shouldered child.

EDITED TO ADD - you might not be able to tell, but she's also leaning slightly to her right in this shot, in effort to look at me and bug me to let her out so she can get in the Nautilus... she did NOT want to sit still when her own princess decorated chair was a foot away.

MontereyRuthie908.jpg

Model 2 - 50-51", 60-65lbs (he varies on weight)... he is 7yrs old, in the 75th percentile. He does have broad shoulders for his build, but I've seen kids with broader. He is downright narrow and skinny when compared to his cousin, who is already 100lbs and is 4mo younger and a bit shorter.

He was just done with a soccer game, which is why he looks tired and you can see he's sweaty. He does love this booster because it not only has cupholders (which he likes... he's getting a little big to be able to just hold things between his legs, as he may run out of seat room in some boosters that way), but because he can open them himself while buckled in. He had a grape gatorade and a half-full bag of pretzels in the cupholders.

I love the way it fits him... I have the wings spread open about 1.5" wider than the narrowest setting to accomodate his shoulders, because he likes them wide enough that he can put his elbows/forearms on the armrests (as you can see, they are tall enough to be used as armrests)

His knees are JUST at the edge of the seat, providing tons of upper leg support, and it positions the belt perfectly.

He has outgrown every other highback booster we've had, including our parkway, though I've seen it should have lasted him longer.

I love the width... he won't be getting his hips smooshed anytime soon.

But as you can see, it's just SUCH a better fit on him than his sister.

PostgameHotandsweaty4.jpg

Basically, I just wouldn't recommend this booster for anyone whose child wasn't closer to Jeffrey in size. I'd say close to 50lbs and definitely at least 4' tall (even if they are leggy, the shoulders would be wider than Ruthie's.

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, so I apologize if it needs moved.

Last edited:
ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
So do you think this would work well w/ a slimmer shouldered child? My kids aren't realy wide, even AJ who is my bigger one. I was looking at this for when he was ready to move, but by then I'm sure there'll be something newer and funner, lol! Thanks for the pics!

emandbri

Can you clarify the issue with the shoulder belt? It looks like it fits her pretty well. Benjamin is almost the same size and I felt it fit him well, I don't have any pictures though I'll see if I can get some. It is the only booster I've tried him in.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I agree with EmandBri that it looks like a pretty good fit on her. I actually prefer how the shoulder belt crosses her shoulder compared to your son. :shrug-shoulders: (Though neither is bad.)

I can't really tell in the picture, but is the shoulder belt on your ds under the armrest? I haven't seen the MOnterey IRL so maybe that's as far as it goes, but I thought I would ask anyways. :thumbsup:

HEVY

Ok, I thought it was me. The seatbelt looks like a better fit on your DD than it does on your DS. On your DS the shoulder belt looks closer to his neck and I can't even see the lap belt. :sorry!:
But it does fit him better in the legs.

remken

I think I see what she is talking about. I could be wrong though and it could be something totally different.

If you look at Ruthie the shoulder belt it is right on the edge of her shoulder, where as the shoulder belt on Jeffrey is positioned more in the middle of his shoulder.

If I am wrong let me know.

Kat_Momof3

her shirt makes it a bit misleading... the edge is not on her shoulder (I could see it standing by her, but I can see where you wouldn't notice it in the picture if you didn't know where her shoulder normally ends. I hoped the siggy pic of her in the same shirt/dress in the Nautilus would make it more clear, since her shoulders actually fit right between the wings on that seat, but the shirt puffs out.

I had tested her for fit just out of curiosity one day when I brought her home and she was asleep... because she was asleep, she immediately leaned to the side, resting her head on the sidewings... and the shoulder came completely away from the belt... it was on her upper arm...

I haven't been able to duplicate it with her awake... and she was too excited that morning to put her head on the wing and lean like she does when she's asleep.

She INSISTED on that shirt/dress (it's very short, so I'm still not sure what Barbie intends and she wears pants under it) even though it was 75*.

With the crash test videos of boosters that show the shoulder popping out, I worry not just about the front crashes that show this, but what would happen in a side crash.

also, the headrest is higher than I would normally put it... the headrest would be directly behind her head with the guides still above her shoulder more than the required amount (stated in the manual), but then the belt wouldn't be on her shoulder to begin with.

she's just too narrow... I need to get more pics of her in it tomorrow to finish this, before I take her to pre-k (she did NOT ride in this seat... has never ridden it

here's a pic of her in the FPSVB (I had to go fetch her a cup of soymilk, so I posted, planning to come back with more pics... didn't know I'd get responses this fast)

RuthieHBB115.jpg

It's from January of 2008

and her in the parkway at 2 (scary how well that fit)
RuthiePkwy2young2.jpg
RuthiePkwy2young4.jpg

I'm also worried about how much she would move in the seat area... because she can fit her whole arm and THEN some between her and the armrest on both sides.

Kat_Momof3

I think I see what she is talking about. I could be wrong though and it could be something totally different.

If you look at Ruthie the shoulder belt it is right on the edge of her shoulder, where as the shoulder belt on Jeffrey is positioned more in the middle of his shoulder.

If I am wrong let me know.

Yes... that is it... which means all it would take is for her to fall asleep and lean to her left (which is the way she usually leans... I'd say 99% of the time her head goes that way... I never see it leaning to the right for some reason... at least not in that seating position... we only JUST switched her behind me for the ease of loading and then unloading at preschool (I don't have to walk around the van for just one child riding 4 times a day) combined with the ease of Jeffrey getting out at droppoff on the rare occasion we drive him (running late or weather so bad he would end up drenched at the bus stop because of the water that runs to the storm drain by going right in front of where they wait... they have to JUMP over it to go into the bus)

Kat_Momof3

So do you think this would work well w/ a slimmer shouldered child? My kids aren't realy wide, even AJ who is my bigger one. I was looking at this for when he was ready to move, but by then I'm sure there'll be something newer and funner, lol! Thanks for the pics!

see, I don't know... that's why I'd try it out if you can before you buy... or measure the kid and compare it to SK's sheet of measurements??
Montereyspecs.jpg

Kat_Momof3

Ok, I thought it was me. The seatbelt looks like a better fit on your DD than it does on your DS. On your DS the shoulder belt looks closer to his neck and I can't even see the lap belt. :sorry!:
But it does fit him better in the legs.

lol... I swear the lapbelt is there... right on the hips

again, I normally wouldn't have the headrest that high on her... there are two other positions suitable for the headrest to fit, but both have the shoulderbelt off her shoulder... that's how small the space between headrest spots is.

I thought maybe, since I couldn't get her to lean, putting it where the headrest looks so high and the guide a good 2" above her shoulder (when it could be JUST above her shoulder or 1" above her shoulder if the belt fit right in those spots) would help show the situation. She was very impatient to get out of that seat and into her own seat, or I would have taken more shots.

Jeffrey wasn't sitting up as straight as he usually does (when he's not tired), or I would have the headrest one notch lower... but the belt is literally sitting in the middle of the area between the neck and shoulder on him... it looked better from straight on... but if I try to get a straight on of him, the passenger seat gets in the way.

Here's an older shot that is closer to straight on from when he first got the Monterey that might clarify
JeffreyMonterey508a-1.jpg

yellow marks where his shoulder ends... hard to tell on him. (especially on that blue shirt in the top... it's big on him and the neck is a little wide... he'll wear it for another 2yrs.

Last edited:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
See, we had problems w/ AJ before in the FPSVB, it looked like one of the first times he used it his shoulder would pop right out. I haven't noticed that the past few times though so maybe he just needed to be a tad bigger? I'll have to see if the baby store has the Monterey in yet.

Kat_Momof3

yeah, even at 3 you can see that even though she's wiggling to her right and trying to play with her snake to the point of almost getting out of position, she fit better in the FPSVB than in the Monterey now... I will get some shots of her tomorrow morning... maybe if I take them from the driver's seat, she'll lean more toward her left... and taking them in a shirt that isn't huge on her would help, too.

Kat_Momof3

oh, and don't get me wrong... I am not saying Ruthie won't fit well by the time she outgrows the Nautilus... she's actually broad shouldered for her age and is not using a booster yet at all.

But there are a lot of kids older than her that are her size and so many of her preschool friends (all right... ALL her preschool friends) are in boosters that I think it matters to know how it fits this size of a child.

And I do love the Monterey... it just wasn't designed for a kid who is on the minimums... it was designed for a kid who has outgrown the Radian... and she hasn't yet. Her brother has.

U

unregistered

I'm confused!!!! I love all the guidance and information I get from this forum but my head is spinning right now!

I am in need of a booster for my dd who is 48", 47 pounds and a long torso. I was about to purchase the Monterey but now I'm rethinking and considering the Monarch. Should I be concerned about the shoulder issue with her size? Any thoughts?

Also, are there any other internet sites that see Britax and Sunshine Kids that offer the return insurance for car seats?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'm confused!!!! I love all the guidance and information I get from this forum but my head is spinning right now!

I am in need of a booster for my dd who is 48", 47 pounds and a long torso. I was about to purchase the Monterey but now I'm rethinking and considering the Monarch. Should I be concerned about the shoulder issue with her size? Any thoughts?

Also, are there any other internet sites that see Britax and Sunshine Kids that offer the return insurance for car seats?

At her size I am sure she will be fine in the Monterey.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member

Here are some pics of my dd in the Monterey, she is a few inches taller and 12 pounds heavier - she also has a long torso.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=54403&highlight=monterey+model+start+recaro+parkway

laccaycol

Here is my niece she will be 7 in October she is on the smaller side though. She is about 45 pounds and not sure how tall but i would say around 46 inches tall. I just noticed that the wings are out a little but i think it fits her good. HTH for the older smaller kids:)

editedpicofcarli.jpg

Just to show how small she really is this is her in the regent

Kidsandcarliinregent022-1.jpg

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Did you tell her she's going to be 7 now, she needs to grow some torso?! :p It's probably fun to try and find pants for her. AJ is only 43", but would be using that 2nd to top slot on the Regent. ;) I'm assuming her straps aren't always on the top slot like that are they?

Am the only one who wants a Monterey for themself? Now I'm over the 120# mark, but they just look so comfy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC