Help me choose!

finleysmommy

My sister in law and I are buying an infant car seat for our SIL (she's pregnant with our soon to be born niece). We're trying to decide between the Graco SS1 & the Chicco Keyfit30. Any advice?

Also, has anybody seen the red keyfit? Like it? No?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hmmm...sort-of a toss-up. Both of those are great seats, and by far my favorites due to ease of installation and ease of use.

The SS1 will last longer because of the taller shell, but that doesn't matter to everyone.

For seat belt installs, they're both fabulous. For LATCH installs, nothing beats the Keyfit. (If she'll be using it in the center, chances are good she'll use the seat belt, so again, they're both good.)

It's really a matter of preference on that one.

Kat_Momof3

if it's a firstborn, I'd go Keyfit... you just don't know how big or little her baby will be, and that one will fit any sized newborn well.

also, if it's a first, she's likely had very little experience with carseats, and this one is the easiest to use and install, along with the least likely to be tempting to buy aftermarket stuff for.

Now, if it's a second or third kid and she doesn't have teeny babies (under 6lbs), then I'd get the ss1.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Kat has a point. Ilana was 6.5# at release and barely fit in our SS1. However, I LOVE this seat though and it's top of my list to get for this baby (we sold it after Ilana thinking we wouldn't need it again, lol). It would've lasted about another 6 mos longer than the KF which I like.

Kat_Momof3

yes, and with knowing the sizes your babies come home at (not just weight, but knowing their torso lengths), you should be good to go... heck, I say you get a snugride 32, because your kids just GROW (except Evan being skinnier, but still)

but I'd still save the box and receipt, just in case you get surprised with a tiny one.

and that's another thing... I'd make sure to have her save the box and gift receipt... if she has a BIG baby (think over 8lbs), I'd be there offering to run it back to the store for the ss1

Momof4Girls

I sat my 24lbs 2.5 y/o in both the KF30 and the SS1, and she has plenty of room in the SS1, but her head is OUT of the KF30. She only is about half an inch too tall for the Snugride!

Raechel

Wineaux

Remember one thing about a lot of the Graco seats. It's not just fabrics that cause one SS1 or Snugride to be more expensive than the other. The more expensive versions also "tend" to have EPS foam, or more of it, as well as GracoPedic Foam. The foam is kind of like memory foam, and is supposed to be super comfy for baby. The EPS foam is supposed to make the seats safer. Just so you know that with Graco you get what you pay for. That said, if you find one of the nicer model versions on sale, then you've got a bargain! So do some research online to see what features each fabric choice comes with, and then start looking for sales/deals.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We had a Gracopedic one and it was really nice. I'm not even sure what a normal one is like sine this is pretty much all I've know w/ SS1. :) When is your SIL needing it? Like was mentioned, www.albeebaby.com had one pretty cheap, it would the one w/ no gracopedic foam. We had the Samba pattern, but want something more girly this time, hopefully anyways, lol.

but I'd still save the box and receipt, just in case you get surprised with a tiny one.

That's my plan, plus I wanted to wait as long as possible to get it anyways. I have the same feelings I had w/ Evan about him trying to come early. I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid or something, but I was right w/ Evan so who knows.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC