Vent Arrrrg, stupid brother and sil

purplemama

I had thought I had talked my brother into getting a GN for his big 3 year old who is 40# and had outgrown his seat by height too. I was trying to educate him about seats as best I could so I mentioned the vehicle latch weight limit and he couldn't get a definite answer from Mazda. So he calls me tonight to let me know they bought an evenflo big kid booster. I was like, um that's not really the best for a 3 year old and he said if he had to install with a seat belt then he is gonna use a booster because he can't do a good seatbelt install. I said that I would've done it or they could've found a tech to help. Nope, they are happy with a booster and my nephew fits just fine in it he says. I said whatever, it's your kid and that was pretty much the end of that conversation 'cause he knew I was pissed. I just don't get it because he was so happy to learn there were higher weight seats and he could keep his kid harnessed longer. And they had been super good about car seats until now. At least they're not having any more kids.

ADS

rosey2007

Isn't illegal for a 3 year old to be in a booster seat? Good install or not he is breaking the law. In the state that I live in the child has to be at least 40 pounds and 4 years of age to use a booster seat.

Kat_Momof3

that's so sad. I know how happy you had been.

I just don't get it... you could have taught him how to install it easily.

Besides, Graco says 48lbs is the latch limit for the seat (and I think Mazda defers to the seat), so even if the vehicle said MORE, he'd have only had 8lbs with latch... he'd need to install it with a seatbelt at some point.

tjham

Isn't illegal for a 3 year old to be in a booster seat? Good install or not he is breaking the law. In the state that I live in the child has to be at least 40 pounds and 4 years of age to use a booster seat.

What state is that? I wish AZ was at least like that!

BookMama

Senior Community Member

It's not illegal in Michigan. He is not breaking any laws. (Not saying the laws are good in that regard, just clarifying that he's not breaking the law.)

popsicle

I know how you feel. I've been trying to get my brother and SIL to put my 50# freakishly tall 3yo niece back in a harness for months. They think she's fine in a booster though. :(

Jan06twinmom

Can you send your brother - or maybe your SIL - the link to Kyle David Miller foundation? If you could get them to just read that information or watch the Kyle video, you'll at least know you've done what you can. I'd try to at least pull on the mom's heartstrings. I know the ladies here have some other good links and info about why children should stay in the harness until they are 5 or 6 years old.

monsterling

It's not illegal in Michigan. He is not breaking any laws. (Not saying the laws are good in that regard, just clarifying that he's not breaking the law.)

Hi, I just want to jump in to mention that Michigan did change the law and require at least 4 year old for booster car seat. I'm not sure when is the exact effective date but it must be happened recently. I used to live in Michigan but moved out few months ago. I remembered I saw the ad in Baby Depot (the one located inside Great Lake Crossings Mall) when I visited back during late August. HTH.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Hi, I just want to jump in to mention that Michigan did change the law and require at least 4 year old for booster car seat.

As a CPST in Michigan ;), I'm well aware that the child restraint laws changed, effective July 1. The new law requires children to use a child restraint of some sort until age 8, unless they reach 4'9" first. There are NO stipulations regarding when a child is allowed to move FF, or to a booster, etc.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
As a CPST in Michigan ;), I'm well aware that the child restraint laws changed, effective July 1. The new law requires children to use a child restraint of some sort until age 8, unless they reach 4'9" first. There are NO stipulations regarding when a child is allowed to move FF, or to a booster, etc.

:yeahthat: Best practice would be to recommend an absolute bare minimum of 4 years old and 40 lbs. before using a belt positioning booster seat in lieu of a 5-point harnessed child restraint, but that is not expressly stated by the newer Michigan child restraint law. The law is a definite improvement over the previous one, but it doesn't go into all of the detailed best practice information that we try to encourage.

keri1292

To find out your state laws, go to http://www.usa.safekids.org/ Learn about Child Safety Laws and Regulations is near the bottom of the right-hand side menu.

:thumbsup:

Sorry about your nephew. If they still have the GN, I'd show them how to install it. Just tell them that you'll have a guilty conscience if you don't and something happens to DN. :(

purplemama

I can't send them the links to stuff because I'm horrible at computers (I screwed a bunch of stuff up trying:rolleyes:) but I sent an email asking them to please watch the Kyle David Miller video (just watched it again and of course I am crying my eyes out). I asked them to please reconsider and I would do the install on a nautilus. I can only hope they watch the KDM video, you'd have to be pretty heartless not to be moved by that video!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC