I can't break it

a_js

I have an almost-expired Marathon shell that I need to destroy (sold the cover, cut the harness).
I can't break the **** thing! I am no lightweight, either. I whacked it with a hammer. Then I dropped it onto concrete. Nada.
Help me out here?

ADS

remken

When I read the title.
I thought you meant you couldn't bring yourself to destroy it.

I'm sure others here have actual ideas on how to destroy it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do NOT run it over with your car. That'll scratch your driveway.

Power tools are good.

Wendy

a_js

Heh--the car thing never occurred to me!

My stepdad said he'd whack it with his sledgehammer, so hopefully that'll work.

melniemi

Sawzall:whistle: Not sure if that is spelled right, but it's just a small power saw.

My dh took a hammer to my expired snugride. A few good hits and it shattered:eek:

popsicle

Sawzall:whistle: Not sure if that is spelled right, but it's just a small power saw.

Yep, DH is all excited to take his Sawzall (Also called a reciprocating saw) to our crashed marathon as soon as we get the ok from insurance.

It has cut a couch and a bathtub in half, pretty sure it can handle the Marathon. :D

essnce629

When I destroyed my expired RA I didn't take a hammer or sledgehammer to it. I just removed and saved the cover, then I cut up the harness so no one could use it and then disposed of the shell in a black trash bag so no one could tell what was inside.

U

Unregistered1

My brother and I have excellent luck with an axe and a hatchet. And we're both relatively small, I'm only 5'1" and 85 lbs.

Shanora

DH just destroyed my old Triumph (the straps molded....*sigh* it was my spare seat....guess I need a new one....:whistle:), he used a splitting Axe...had a blast with it (I'll have to post pictures later....have them on my phone).

skipspin

We had fun destroying an expired seat by running it over multiples times with our Jeep Wrangler. It has big off-roading tires. It was amazingly hard to break, and it was a cheap 10 year old infant seat!

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
I have to destroy an expired carseat (usually an infant carrier) about 1x/week at the hospital where I work. I take the cover off, cut the harness straps, and write "danger", "trash", "expired", "do not use" all over it in permanent marker...and then put it in the trash compacting dumpster. :thumbsup:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have to destroy an expired carseat (usually an infant carrier) about 1x/week at the hospital where I work. I take the cover off, cut the harness straps, and write "danger", "trash", "expired", "do not use" all over it in permanent marker...and then put it in the trash compacting dumpster. :thumbsup:

Yeah, done that. Got pics. That was fun. Been wanting to run over some. DH says not with new tires though.

loufrando

Sawzall:whistle: Not sure if that is spelled right, but it's just a small power saw.QUOTE]

:yeahthat: That's how DH exterminated our expired SnugRide and my Mom's 1990 Century OHS that I confiscated. He had sooo much fun. I'm sure he can't wait until the RA expires next summer. :p

tiggercat

We destroyed an AOE after the last clinic by having one of our techs drive over it repeatedly in his big honkin' SUV :whistle:

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I also highly recommend the Saws-all. AWESOME good fun. Also, it's so great at the end to have a completely sawed-in-half CR.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC