CARES Harness?

snoopy5386

I am thinking about buying one for our trip to seattle in october. For various reasons, we have decided just to check her carseat this time, it is a spare scenera and I am to take the risk of checking it. My DD is 2.5 and my concern is she will throw a fit and won't wear the CARES harness so the $$ will be wasted. She has flown in her carseat and in just the plane seat before and done fine both times. We don't want to use the carseat this time since we have a connection and since it is such a long flight we'd rather have the extra space. We do plan on having another kid so we'd be able to use it with that kid, but I am just not sure....anyone have a kid who'd refuse to wear it?

ADS

Adventuredad

Haven't tried the CARES harness although it looks like a good idea to me. Al my 50 flights with the kids so far have been in lap belts, own seats, or just as a lab baby. I've checked our seats at all times in padded special car seat bags with extra protection.

The only worry is not getting your car seat when you get there. If your flight has tight connections it's an increased risk.

Considering the risk of a child being injured on an airplane by crash landing or turbulence being virtually close to zero according to all kinds of statistics you're better off thinking about car seats in the car when you arrive at your destination.

Our kids use the lap belt/seat belt at start, landing, and fasten seat belt sign but otherwise move around. Wearing the belt is occasionally an issue with my 2 year old daughter but it usually works out fine. Kind of like in the car, but it's not optional so she just has to get used to it.:whistle:

Have a great trip

Melanie

I don't have any advice on the harness. If it were me, I'd use the car seat on the plane. It may take a few minutes to install, but you will all be more comfortable. Children are accustomed to being in their car seats. Sleeping will be easier. They'd be much more likely to want out of the big plane seat.

Worst case, if she's absolutely terrible - she's contained. You won't be trying to hold onto a flailing, squiggly toddler.

You could strap it onto a rolling carry on. Or even rig up a strap and throw it onto your back for your connection.

bubbaray

If it were me, I'd use the car seat on the plane. It may take a few minutes to install, but you will all be more comfortable. Children are accustomed to being in their car seats. Sleeping will be easier. They'd be much more likely to want out of the big plane seat.

:yeahthat:

snoopy5386

I don't have any advice on the harness. If it were me, I'd use the car seat on the plane. It may take a few minutes to install, but you will all be more comfortable. Children are accustomed to being in their car seats. Sleeping will be easier. They'd be much more likely to want out of the big plane seat.

Worst case, if she's absolutely terrible - she's contained. You won't be trying to hold onto a flailing, squiggly toddler.

You could strap it onto a rolling carry on. Or even rig up a strap and throw it onto your back for your connection.

My issues with the seat are not with installing it, they are with carrying it, lugging it through security, etc., etc. We have done it before and it is a PITA. Also, we do have tight connections and I am worried about taking the time to uninstall it, when we travel with it we are always last off the plane by quite a few minutes. We actually have a bag for it that rolls and has straps, it is still a PITA to haul around.
As far as on the plane goes, with the carseat she can't use the tray table, which makes it hard to color, eat or use the DVD player. With the carseat it is very easy for her to kick the seat in front of her, generally speaking if she moves her feet at all she will kick the seat in front of her. She is also not a kid who will fall asleep in the seat. The most likely scenario is I will nurse her to sleep and then she will lay on my lap or maybe I can lay her down in her seat. Without the carseat we can put her in the middle between myself and my large DH and it gives everyone more room to be comfortable. We have done it both ways (lapbelt only and carseat) and we much prefer no carseat, the CARES harness seems like the perfect compromise to me. I am looking for opinions from others who have used it.

ctbcleveland

I hear you sister -

I took my son's car seat on the last plane ride. He hates the car seat in the car, so I should not have been surprised with the little use it got on the plane.

I still don't advocate checking a seat - we are going to bring our SSK radian which folds up on our next trip and have that as our carry-on.

I too am thinking about the CARES harness but can't share an experience because we haven't used it.

blurkt

I've heard from people who liked it. I didn't. I used it on one flight. I didn't think it adjusted to fit either of my kids well (2 and 3 1/2) at the time. I didn't feel like with the adjustment I got that it added much safety over the lapbelt alone. But do remember as someone else pointed out, if you have a tight connection, your seat may not make the connection either (ours didn't last year).

Kat_Momof3

since you are going to check your seat and are trying to still make her as safe as may be, I would go with the caress harness.

also, if she's at least 35lbs, instead of checking a seat, buy the ride safer vest for when you get there... if you don't need it again, you can sell it, but it's worth the security of knowing you won't have to worry about a seat getting lost.

You can pack it in your carry-on.

You can order it at elitecarseats.com

Kat_Momof3

Oh... Ideally I would just take the seat, but you seem to have strong reasons for not wanting to and have thought it all out, but wanted to be sure everyone didn't think I would typically recommend not taking the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC