Chevy Tahoe

Lucy_R

We are considering the Tahoe for our next vehicle, and I was just curious as to whether it's a safe choice, and how well it fits 3 accross? I know that there's 3rd row seating, but I would think it would be a huge hassle to get back there. Thank you!

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
My sister has a 07 Tahoe and 3 across on the bench seat is E.A.S.Y!! I am pretty sure you could fit anything 3 across in it. But it doesn't have top tether anchors for all seating positions so if they are all harnessed seats that is something to keep in mind. If you are going to be using all harnessed seats you could get the quad captains chairs and have one side of the third row up for use and have that child walk through the two captains chairs. And since the other half of the third row would be stowed away you would still have some cargo room.
I know in 07 side curtain airbags were only standard on the LTZ and Z71 models and optional in all the others. I am not positive but I am pretty sure they became standard for all models in either 08 or 09.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
We are considering the Tahoe for our next vehicle, and I was just curious as to whether it's a safe choice, and how well it fits 3 accross? I know that there's 3rd row seating, but I would think it would be a huge hassle to get back there. Thank you!

Which year are you looking at? New or Used?

I have an 03 Tahoe with bench seats. You can easily fit 3 across and my 2nd row has all 3 tether spots :) The only thing I don't like is that the middle seat has no headrest, but other than that it's a really nice car. I heart my Tahoe, just be prepared to sell a kidney or two for filling up the gas tank :D

Last edited:

bubbaray

OP, are you in Canada or the US -- and are you looking at a Canadian Tahoe or importing a US one (I noticed your other post in the Canadian forum).

There may be a difference in the number and location of TTs in particular between the 2 countries. Not sure, but its something to watch out for.

TTg is mandatory in Canada, so if you have 3 FFg convertible seats, you will need 3 TT anchors.

HTH

clmchrissy

We have a 2000 GMC Yukon (not XL) and have the 3rd row. We rarely, if ever keep the 3rd row in, but on the passenger side back door (make sense?) there is one seating position that folds down and is best to use to get to the 3rd row. I should mention you can do this on the other side too, but the seat folds down the center seat too ( maybe a 60/40 split?).

Lucy_R

Yup, we are in Canada, and we would purchase the Tahoe here. I think we will definately buy used, likely a 2007. Does anyone know how many sets of UAS anchors there are, as well as tether anchors? I'm wondering if it would be a better choice to have a full bench seat as the second row seating or just the two captains chairs and then put a child in the 3rd row.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
2002-2007 Tahoes with the second row bench seating are listed in the LATCH manual as having full LATCH (lower anchors and top tether anchors) in the second row center and second row passenger side seating positions, and a top tether anchor for the second row driver's side. 2002-2007 Tahoes with the second row captain's chairs have full LATCH in both captain's chairs. The third row doesn't have lower LATCH anchors in any seating position but it does have one top tether anchor. The third row in the 2002-2007 regular Tahoe model has one tether anchor that may be used for either the third row center seating position, or the third row passenger side position, but not both at the same time. The 2002-2007 extended model Tahoe's third row has a tether anchor for the third row center position only.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
My sister has a 07 Tahoe and 3 across on the bench seat is E.A.S.Y!! I am pretty sure you could fit anything 3 across in it. But it doesn't have top tether anchors for all seating positions so if they are all harnessed seats that is something to keep in mind. If you are going to be using all harnessed seats you could get the quad captains chairs and have one side of the third row up for use and have that child walk through the two captains chairs. And since the other half of the third row would be stowed away you would still have some cargo room.
I know in 07 side curtain airbags were only standard on the LTZ and Z71 models and optional in all the others. I am not positive but I am pretty sure they became standard for all models in either 08 or 09.

In the new body style it's standard on all levels.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I had a '05 Z71 Tahoe up until 2wks ago. Man I miss my sweet girl. I LOVED my Tahoe and still wish I had it. It was a lease and had to be a good wife and get a vehicle dh wanted this go around. :mad:

My Tahoe had 2nd row caption chairs with a 50/50 split 3rd row. The front passenger leg had a rear facing tether hook that is great if you have a convertible that allows rear face tethering (Britax or Sunshine Kids). I have installed many of different configurations in Tahoe/Suburban 2nd rows with 3 across. Haven't had any issues with lack of space. Now 3 Regents across might not work but I have gotten 2 Regents (both outboard) with a Decathlon center no problems.

I will give you a heads up you will need to fold the headrests back to get a flush installation for the car seats. With the headrests in place it causes the car seats to have a huge gap behind the carseat seatback. To do so just tumble the seat into the cargo mode and the headrests fold back behind the seat. This is the best picture I have but if you notice behind the Zebra MA that the headrest is not there. It's actually folded behind the caption seats since it can't be removed.
IMG_1157.jpg

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I wanted to say we rented a 09 (manufactured 6/08)Tahoe to go to San Diego and loved it!! We are actually considering trading in my truck and getting one.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
In the new body style it's standard on all levels.

The new body style came out in 2007 and for 2007 side curtain airbags were an option (LT3 and higer which would be LTZ and Z71). In 2008 side curtain airbags became standard.:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC