What do you think about a floor model Radian?

Chex

I saw one recently and thought about getting it. Radians are pretty dang tough carseats, so I was thinking that not a whole lot of damage could be done to it. I checked to see if the foam was broken anywhere and it wasn't. The bottom was scuffed up a bit, but that was all. What do you guys think? Should I have gotten it? Would you all feel safe if there was no visible damage to the seat?

ADS

featherhead

I bought a floor model Radian. But I know in my town almost no one would go to Canadian Tire for a car seat. They all go for the AOE or the OHS(from garage sales). And no one tests out a seat before they buy.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What do you think could've happened to it?

It is hard to know.

~ Was it dropped? Maybe.
~ Was it carried by the straps or swung around by the straps? Maybe.
~ Was it thrown around? Maybe.

I wouldn't risk it. Unless you are planning to use it as a decorative seat only , it just isn't worth it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did buy a floor model car seat, but it had the registration card, a warning label and an advertisement still attached and practically in mint condition, which implied to me that it had never been used (otherwise, the tags would at least be bent, if not off completely).

From the sound of the Radian though--with the scuffed base--it's just hard to say. It could very well be ok, but without knowing for sure, I can't recommend it.

BW1426

I think the biggest issue is people carrying it by the straps.

I wouldn't trust it.

With the new radians coming onto the market, there may be some deals, you never know.

Chex

Well then I'm glad I didn't get it.

What's so bad about carrying it by the straps, though? I didn't know that was a no-no. I've never done it myself, but I didn't realize it was bad. Why is it?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In a collision the straps are designed to stretch. Same as a seatbelt. If you carry the seat by the straps they may have stretched already. And if something that's designed with the stretch in mind can't stretch they may break.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC