HWH seat or booster?

spcamno

Need to make the decision soon because DS is riding on the Radian premier (needs to be replaced soon due to outgrow weight limits) and he's 5 years & 2 months old weight 64 pounds.

My question is since most hwh seat are upto 65 should I grab a parkway (if I can still find it) or get a Frontier / Nautilus (when its available) and use it as a belt position booster?

If mounting any of the above is not an issue will a hwh seat use along with the vehicle's belt better than a dedicated booster such as the parkway?

Thank you in advance!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Honestly speaking, I'd go with a dedicated booster unless your vehicle has low seat backs, in which case I'd go with the Frontier because it has the highest belt guides of any of the boosters so will last the longest by height.

Otherwise, I don't see the point of buying a seat with a harness that's already outgrown unless the seat will actually be used by a younger sibling - at which point you'd most likely have to buy another dedicated booster anyways...

It's too bad you don't have time to wait. With you already planning to spend a chunk of money on a booster, the Oobr wouldn't be out of your budget and seems like a really fantastic booster - including having LATCH. It won't be here until the first quarter of the new year though, and you'll likely need a new seat in the next month or two.

hipmaman

I would go with a dedicated booster too. If you can find a Parkway, it's a great seat for the right price. If not, I like the Graco Turbo. Hopefully, the Sunshine Kids Monterey (which should be here soon).

If you need something to tie you over (until the Monterey come or until you find a suitable booster), you can borrow one of my kids' PWs. I'm in Oakville and work in Mississauga if you can come out that way.

spcamno

Honestly speaking, I'd go with a dedicated booster unless your vehicle has low seat backs, in which case I'd go with the Frontier because it has the highest belt guides of any of the boosters so will last the longest by height.

Otherwise, I don't see the point of buying a seat with a harness that's already outgrown unless the seat will actually be used by a younger sibling - at which point you'd most likely have to buy another dedicated booster anyways...

It's too bad you don't have time to wait. With you already planning to spend a chunk of money on a booster, the Oobr wouldn't be out of your budget and seems like a really fantastic booster - including having LATCH. It won't be here until the first quarter of the new year though, and you'll likely need a new seat in the next month or two.

Yes, I know that's what my problem is and I don't like any of the booster currently availabel except the Parkway (which was discontinuted recently).

I have look at the Oobr as an option as well and seems to me is a quality seat but too bad I'm afraid I can't wait that long.

Still searching for options.................:(

spcamno

I would go with a dedicated booster too. If you can find a Parkway, it's a great seat for the right price. If not, I like the Graco Turbo. Hopefully, the Sunshine Kids Monterey (which should be here soon).

If you need something to tie you over (until the Monterey come or until you find a suitable booster), you can borrow one of my kids' PWs. I'm in Oakville and work in Mississauga if you can come out that way.

Thank you for your generous offer and if I do need something to bridge the period without car seat will let you know.

We have two vehicles and already stop using our Marathon long time ago(first gen with 48 pounds limit) and since our DS ride mostyly in the Odyssey we've been using just the Radian solely for a while already.

I'm interested to see the Oobr but seems can't wait that long and DS is more towards a chubbier build we really like the Regent (due to the wider shoulder/torso area but don't think its gonna happen) that's why I was thinking getting a Frontier / Nautilus and use any of the one as a belt position booster due to the wider frame.

Out of the all boosters currently available in the market only the Parkway catches my eyes and I might search around and see if I can still get one while waiting for the Monterey.

Besides over the cost wise is using the Frontier / Nautilus type of seat as booster not as good as a dedicated booster (I really like the idea to have DS riding on a wider frame car seat for better protection).

Also, anyone seen the Monterey yet? Do you think it will be here soon?

Thanks again!

spcamno

I can't post a WTB thread in the car seat swap and if anyone knows of someone has a new or next to new Parkway for sale please let me know.

Thks

QuassEE

Post it here, identifying that it's a Canadian ISO, and we'll move it into Swap. Because Canadian post counts tend to be lower, and Canadians have a harder time "earning" reputation points from high granters, it's more difficult to get access to Swap. However, since we have a smaller group here, it's easier to vouch for individual members.

-Nicole.

spcamno

Post it here, identifying that it's a Canadian ISO, and we'll move it into Swap. Because Canadian post counts tend to be lower, and Canadians have a harder time "earning" reputation points from high granters, it's more difficult to get access to Swap. However, since we have a smaller group here, it's easier to vouch for individual members.

-Nicole.

Thanks!

Typing now!

spcamno

-Nicole.

Here's the link to the thread I've just started:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=563211#post563211

Please let me know if any changes is required.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC