I met someone from

my3girls

SWEDEN this week! We met in the hospital waiting room and I told her how I've heard it's a great place for carseats. She didn't have any kids, but talked about how "everyone keeps their kids in carseats for a really long time" and then her cousin(?) and I were telling her about the misuse rate in America and that so many people do the very minimum to be legal and she was so surprised. She also talked about maternity leave and said it was 1 year paid, but they are trying to get it changed to 2 years!! And the mom will be able use the first year and then the dad the second or whatever works best. I'm just such a nerd, when I heard Sweden I just had to start talking about carseats! :D
You guys can make fun of me and my pathetic life now;)

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Well, just call me pathetic then too because I would probably ask about carseat usage and rear facing up to 50 lbs. if I were to meet someone from Sweden. :) Their maternity leave policy also sounds wonderful.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't have missed the chance to ask about their car seats! Fifty pounds! Imagine it!

Wow a whole year off, I wouldnt make it. I cant wait to go back to school. Its fun being home but its not for me. I need the adult stimulus to keep going.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yep ... my Danish friend's sister is a married mom -- she got 1 full year paid maternity leave, dad got 6 months, they get child support from the state, free medical care for the child ... my friend said single parents get all the same with free college education & free housing -- I'm tempted to move there!!! (They also have a much lower rate of anxiety & depression & murder & rape; hmmmmmmmmmm)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There was a Swedish mom in our Little Gym class a couple of years ago. I actually got to SEE her Swedish seat (she thought ours were a joke). I was drooling over her seat. I guess our kids were around 2 and they were both rear facing.

Wendy

Norway

Hi

I'm from Norway and we have the same carseats as Sweden and I would be happy to answer any questions you have about carseats and safety :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hello!!! :D Yep, I drool over your Norwegian carseats & the fjords!!!!!!!!!! ;) :cool:

My dad's best friend is Norwegian -- he used to babysit me & told me some awesome stories in his native language ... I've tried learning, but without a partner to practice with it's really DIFFICULT *sigh*

Anyway, welcome!

Norway

Thank you :)

Here is the new carseat out late this summer. Isofix is similar to your latch I think. This is a Graco seat made by the swedish company Akta. This seat you can use from birth up till 25kg (55 pounds) and only used RF. The baby insert can be lifted out like a babyseat with base. Do you like it? :p

I like to read and learn about carseatsafety around the world. It was good to find this forum and learn that you also have started to keep your children rf longer than 1 year.

But unlike you in Sweden we are recommended to only use a boosterseat when your child starts ff. Because the harness (5pt) is more harmfull to the neck when travelling ff than the 3pt belt in the car.

Simplysomething

Norway said:
Thank you :)

Here

But unlike you in Sweden we are recommended to only use a boosterseat when your child starts ff. Because the harness (5pt) is more harmfull to the neck when travelling ff than the 3pt belt in the car.

This is interesting to me, are the boosters any different there than they are here?

Also, do you (or any of the rest of you) have any sites that might show why it is more or less harmful to be in a 5pt foward facing (note, I'm just curious, this is all). Preferably in English, or a one I could translate. lol

skaterbabs

I really doubt a 3 pt is safer than a 5 pt FF - the 5 point spreads crash forces out over a larger surface area to prevent injury.

Norway

Simplysomething said:
This is interesting to me, are the boosters any different there than they are here?

Also, do you (or any of the rest of you) have any sites that might show why it is more or less harmful to be in a 5pt foward facing (note, I'm just curious, this is all). Preferably in English, or a one I could translate. lol

I think the boosters look mostly the same.

The reason why 3pkt is safer than 5pt is that a 5pt straps the entire body to the seat, except the head. In cash of a crash or sudden stop, the neck will get all the force from the crash when it flies forward. In a 3pt the upper body and head are slowed down together and the neck don't get all the force alone. You use RF to protect the neck and you use a 3pt when FF to protect the neck, basically. (Sorry about the bad language, not easy to describe this in norwegian either :) ) I haven't found a site in english that describes this, but if I do I' let you know.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC