Transporting a new seat

When you drive to a store and buy a new car seat, how do you transport it home?

• As cargo

Votes: 42 80.8%
  • Install it

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Install it and let a kid ride in it

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • other (Please explain)

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters
ADS

AmRo

I've only purchased one seat (a Nautilus) at a brick & mortar store. I brought it home as cargo. My other seats (a Snugride, Triumph, and Radian) were all delivered to my door by UPS!

MissAllyLou

I chose other, because I've done several different things! When I bought my turboosters and my cargo, I took them all home in the trunk (at different times, not all in one trip). When I bought my Boulevard, it was too big to fit in the trunk in the box, to I partially installed it ... I put it in my truck, still in the plastic bag, with the seat belt over it booster style, lol. I've never installed in the parking lot though, because I've always read the manuals first!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Most have been shipped to me. If I had to transport it home, I have done it as cargo.

Neatfreak

I wrestled my DD's boxed Marathon into the truck of my mid-size sedan on a very cold day in January. I think that her next seat will be delivered to my home :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
As cargo with the exception of 1 that came UPS. ;)

I think the only time I would do differently would be a case of a) lack of room to put the seat in cargo, or b) kid needing to use the seat immediately.

I have done it all 3 ways.
After an accident when Emily was 2, I had no choice but to use her seat to go to the city and replace it. I bought the same seat, so I installed it and she used it immediately. If the box fits in my car, I do cargo, otherwise I'll install the seat and flatten the box to get it home.

bobbysgirl7103

I have always transported them as cargo. I want to get home, read the manual, and adjust everything before I install it. If I had no choice and needed it right then I would install it. :)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Transport as cargo, if the box will fit. I did buckle my Scenera into the car in "booster" mode :p when I purchased it at Wal-Mart, since it was in just the plastic bag and my trunk was full of clothes that I needed to take to the donation center.

I have never fully installed before getting it home, though. And I don't think I've ever had a child with me when I actually purchased a seat, LOL.

Mostly I buy my seats online, though.

mommycat

I chose other, because I've done several different things! When I bought my turboosters and my cargo, I took them all home in the trunk (at different times, not all in one trip). When I bought my Boulevard, it was too big to fit in the trunk in the box, to I partially installed it ... I put it in my truck, still in the plastic bag, with the seat belt over it booster style, lol. I've never installed in the parking lot though, because I've always read the manuals first!
I do this, but I voted "as cargo". I guess I didn't really consider a seat belted in the front passenger seat particularly installed. :p

Mommypooh

Well I have never purchased a seat at a store. I recieved 2 for baby shower gifts one from each of the first 2 kids. Other than that I have had all of them delivered by UPS. But I do know that if I was ever in an accident I would get the kids home and have someone watch them while I go buy new seats and I would install them before we got home cause most likely my MIL would be watching them so I could get new seats and I would have to use her Jeep and there is no way I could get 3 seats in the cargo area of her Jeep and I would like to be able to just pick everyone up and head to the insurance agent.

I have already read the manuals for the 3 seats I would replace mine with and if I had to make a spur of the moment change I would read it in the parking lot and then install.

christineka

I have a van, so no trunk. I like to install to keep the seat from becoming a projectile. I've bought a couple seats in bags and I think they'd project easier than a box. I figure if no one is sitting in the seat, then I can install without reading the manual.

Momof4Girls

Am I the only one who reads manuals online, figures out what seat I want, and then buys it in the store? So that, now, when I purchase the new seat, I have read the manual? LOL

It also doesn't help that all of my seats have been Britax seats....largely the same (installation-wise), except my Regents...

Raechel

Mommy2Five

As cargo, but only because I have to have 5 seats installed to get to the store, so the new one has to sit in the front seat..

07-23-20083.jpg

:love:

kate4478

As cargo, but only because I have to have 5 seats installed to get to the store, so the new one has to sit in the front seat..

07-23-20083.jpg

i :love: it! i thought i was the only one who did this. i had a 2 door honda accord and had too much crap in my trunk, so i did the same thing, put it on the front seat and buckled it in! :D

Misty-Bug

When I purchased my AOE I read the manual and installed it in the parking lot because I was silly and eager to try him in his new seat. Then I found the forum! LOL

I now just put it in the car as cargo and then get home, adjust the straps, the crotch anything and everything. As well as read the manual THEN I install it.

monstah

07-23-20083.jpg

"you know you're obsessed when"
You snap a picture of your new Marathon. Minutes after you bought it. In the box. In the store parking lot. Buckled snugly into the front passengers seat. And you are so proud, you don't even care about what the people in the parking lot are saying about you as they walk buy - watching you take pictures of a box. ;)

I voted "as cargo". I like leaving DH to "tend to the children". So I can install it, uninstall it, install it again better, check the forums for help, install it again, and so forth!

Dillipop

I've done a few things.

First- delivered to my house by UPS/Fedex. That's the easiest one!

Second- as cargo, if the box will fit.

Third- as cargo, out of the box, with the box folded in the trunk, with the seat.

Fourth- installed as a booster, since the box won't fit, with the box folded up somewhere in the car.

I've never truly installed a seat after buying it. Just a loose installation/as a booster, to keep it from flying around the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC