ARGH! Did you watch American Inventor last night?

Splash

I no longer have any desire for that guy to win. I hate to say that I am not surprised his daughter died in a crash (no, I am not saying she, or he, deserved it. Just saying I am not surprised).

The commercial could have been good.

But they had an infant FORWARD FACING, which was mistake number one.
And the straps! The straps were SO loose! You could see the 4+ inch gap between the baby and the straps. Especially with no chest clip, it would be very easy for even an infant to wiggle out of it. And not difficult at all for an adult just to take the kid out while the harness was still buckled. No way it would have done any good in a crash.

I had thought this car seat was a wonderful idea and really wanted to see him move on. Then when it talked about how 3 kids die every day and hundreds more are injured, I thought it was great that they were shedding light on how serious CPS is. Nope. Once they opened the smushed car, it becamse obvious that they didn't understand one bit, or really care. And then there are parents who are going to see that, and think it's okay to put a six month old FF and not tighten the straps AT ALL.

Grrrr.

On the up side, we DID get to see how it fit into a vehicle. A Suburdan, yes, but still. It didn't appear to be all that huge in the car.

But I am still steaming about those straps. I thought Jean was going to kill me.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
ITA, it was so disappointing to see the FF baby and the loose straps. I couldn't bring myself to post last night about the show because I was so livid and needed a cooling off period. I actually wonder now if the seat could even be installed RF the way it's designed but who knows since they don't show us enough details about the darn thing. :rolleyes: :mad:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
RF vs. FF moot with the design...

Well, a tech on another board pointed this out: the design of the rotating seat makes RF vs. FF moot. It's designed to effectively act as though it were RF to the point of impact in a crash.

I do wish they made these design details more explicit on the show, and I do worry people who watched will think it's okay to FF their babies in any carseat, plus the loose straps did indeed set a horrible example.

M

MomOfTwo

I agree that more detail about the seat should have been given. As far as the loose straps I think that is a horrible example to send to parents. Athough they needed a shot of the baby being happy in the seat for the commercial and I did see scenes with the baby crying. They may have kept the straps loose in order to keep the baby happy. I am sure the baby was in the seat for a while. I hoping thats all it was...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC