When to replace seats after wreck?

D

DietCokeHead

Hi all! I got rear-ended last week. It wasn't serious, kids weren't in the car but I had 4 seats in there. There was $2700 worth of damage to the front and rear bumpers and also the back hatch. I did get whiplash. No airbags deployed. Should I demand that the guy's insurance company replace the carseats? I had a Regent, Roundabout, Marathon and Graco Cargo Booster (I think that's what it called).

Thanks!

ADS
U

Unregistered

Ouch, whiplash, hope you're okay.

Carseat replacement depends on the carseat manufacturer and/or accident details. Graco's FAQ on the www.gracobaby.com website says to replace Graco carseats after *any* accident, while Britax has a more specific checklist of accident criteria for when to replace a Britax seat on the www.britaxusa.com website. Also some wiser insurance companies will simply cover replacement seats without any argument, while others will need lots of ahem, encouragement and documentation. Hope this helps you out and you're feeling better.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The above reply was mine without logging in, sorry. I forgot how buried the Britax criteria is on the Britax website (in the FAQ section) and I can't figure out how to link directly to the list due to the frames Britax's website uses, so I thought it would be useful to post the text here:

"Britax recommends that use of a child restraint be discontinued if it has been in a severe crash. We further advise of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) position that it is not necessary to replace a child restraint after a minor crash. A minor crash is one that meets ALL of following criteria:

* The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
* The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged;
* There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
* The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
* There is no visible damage to the child restraint.

If your Britax child restraint has been involved in a severe crash, it may be eligible for consideration for a new one of the same or similar design. See the Voluntary Crashed Restraint Exchange section of our website for more details."

And here is a direct link to the Crashed Restraint Exchange section on Britax's website: https://www.britaxusa.com/support.cfm?id=3958A81E-FBD4-433E-8CD2C1434381F74E

Again, hope this helps and hope you're feeling better.

D

DietCokeHead

Thanks for the info. I did call the other driver's insurance co and they will pay to replace the seats. I am seeing a chiropractor for the whiplash, I am still having some pain but it's not too bad.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Glad to hear the insurance company is cooperating for you and hope this continues :). I just wanted to make sure you had some ammo from the carseat manufacturers to back up why they should be replaced, particularly if the insurance company tried to give you a hard time (as they can be known to do). Take care.

D

DietCokeHead

Yea, the adjuster did make it sound like I was trying to pull a fast one on her but then I referenced the 5 criteria by the NHTSA and she agreed with me.

Is it wrong of me to replace the Marathon with a Regent? The replacement cost is cheaper so it's not going to cost anyone any more. I was just thinking that as long as they were being replaced, I may as well get one for my 3 year old that will last her until she's much older.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I personally think it's a great choice -- my DD used the Husky since she was 2 ... just keep in mind it is not FAA approved so you might want a spare travel seat as well :)

skaterbabs

Also be aware that any OCCUPIED seatbelts should be replaced as well. Most insurance companies will claim to have never heard of that, but that's not entirely truthful. NHTSA has said for years that seatbelts and airbags, like car seats, are one-time-use items.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC