Frontier or Regent??? Help me decide!

lovemyfamily

DS#2 was 5 in July, he is about 41-42 inches and around 40lbs., he is a little guy. Currently riding in a MA that I passed down to him from DS#1, when we moved him to a Regent. Anyway, the MA expires in October, or November. I am debating about which carseat to get him, Regent or Frontier. ALL the talks about the Frontier strap issues have me a bit concerned, BUT I also feel like by the time we need one, that issue will have been resolved with Britax. I have a pre-advisory Regent that DS#1 is in. I had a rough time installing that seat with the recline bar, so we don't use it and I honestly don't want to be forced to use it with a new seat, but I would if that is what we got. That and the size, is the main reason why I am leaning toward the Frontier. As I said, my son is on the small size. He would be sitting outboard passenger in the 3rd row of a 2001 GMC Yukon XL, 95% of the time.
Thoughts and suggestions are sure appreciated!

ADS

ginny4

i'd say the frontier. the extra height of the regent is prolly unnecessary for your DS. the frontier will harness him long enough &then becomes a GREAT booster. installing might be difficult but since you have figured out the regent (w/o recline bar) i bet it shoudln't be too difficult. if you had no luck installing WITH the recline bar before then why try a seat that would now require it for you. i have a regent (post adv) then i'd choose the frontier over the regent. the regent seems to be overkill since i'm not interested in harnessing to 8-9yo for my tall kids.

my2kidsSafe

i would say the frontier also. And then when your older son needs a booster, switch your current 5 year old to the regent and give the older son the froniter.

Morganthe

Get the Frontier -- He might appreciate having something new for once and then he can "Pass it down" to his elder sibling when elder needs a new booster. He might have bragging rights about it then ;)

Or -- Frontier could work for your elder, and switch your regent for your ds. Being so small, the plushness and the flatter seat might be more comfortable than the Frontier with him.

But at least you'll have one of each to play & puzzle with. :thumbsup:
hth & good luck :)

Misty-Bug

PERSONALLY I wouldn't do the frontier myself. That issue freaks me out. Is the Nautilus not an option for you?

The regent is pretty dang big but I would do that over the frontier.

But I am not a tech so I can't give a good reason. LOL

SPJ&E

I'd go for a Nautilus myself, mainly because it can be installed with LATCH/top tether in booster mode AND it's half the price of the Frontier. You don't have a huge kiddo, so it would last him quite some time, I'd say.

The top slots of the Marathon are at the bottoms of my son's ears. I tried him in a Nautilus in the store the other day and the top slots were at the tops of his ears. I was shocked at the difference! We are planning to get him a Nautilus when he gets close to outgrowing his Marathon.

Kat_Momof3

you know, I vote for the frontier. when he outgrows the straps in height, you could switch your sons' seats... putting the younger boy in the regent, and the older one in the frontier as a booster.

And that's another thing... the frontier is the TALLEST booster on the market. and for that reason, you will love having it (and its nine year lifespan doesn't hurt either, since your boys aren't huge) for this reason.

I don't think two regents would be the best solution since the frontier (and even the Nautilus, for that matter) makes such a great booster.

Now, if the problems with the frontier continue to increase and there is no solution to them by the time you need to buy the seat, then I would consider going with the Nautilus instead... it's less expensive and doesn't have the problems the Frontier has. And the top slots are higher.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC