Does ERF go by weight only?

angchick

This is just a curiousity quesiton to learn more things. My children finally got weighed and measured yesterday. They both just got radians. My son is 4 yrs 4 months old and weighs 39 lbs and is 41 3/8 inches, so of course he is FF but my daughter who is almost 22 months weighs 26 lbs 5oz and is 34 and half inches tall, we plan on putting her RF when we install the radians but my question is if the seat says rf untill 33 pounds is that regardless of height as well? Also why is there a weight limit on when/how long you can use the LATCH, isnt latch more safer than using a seatbelt?

ADS

Misty-Bug

no, LATCH or the seatbelt is not meaning one is safer then the other. LATCH is easier to install. As long as you can get a tight install either is as safe as the other. That is what I was told.

I have actually found it easier to use the seatbelt in most vehicles with the Radian. What kind of vehicle do you have?

I would say that you are ERFing! Good job.

I forget what else you asked....off to re-read

Misty-Bug

oh height and lbs rfing.....

you cannot use the top two harness slots for RFing. So as long as she is on the lower slots you can keep her RFing until she outgrows it by height or until she reaches the 33lbs. Which ever is later.

I was told that you cannot use the top two slots for RFing. But for FFing you can only use the top three slots. page 33 of your manual.

Read your manual before installing. Know it in and out. It will help!

featherhead

Actually, you can use any slots for rear-facing, but you CANNOT use the bottom 2 for forward-facing. As long as the child has 1 inch of shell above their head, then it's just fine.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Right, you can use any slot for rearfacing. The height limit is when the head is about an inch below the top of the seatback. Here's my tallish dd RF in her Radian, she has a LOT of room to grow heightwise! http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5231400116389586226

And right, LATCH isn't meant to be inherently safer than the seatbelt, it's just supposed to be easier. The problem is that the government set very low limits for the carmakers to follow (they invented the LATCH standard before any seats harnessed past 40 pounds), so carmakers have set their own low limits. In most cars it'll be 48 pounds, Hondas are 40... then you'll use the seatbelt AND the top tether...always use the top tether with this seat.....RF, FF with LATCH, FF with belt. :thumbsup:

Misty-Bug

Actually, you can use any slots for rear-facing, but you CANNOT use the bottom 2 for forward-facing. As long as the child has 1 inch of shell above their head, then it's just fine.

thank you. I thought I was told you couldn't use the top two and it confused me because I couldn't find the manual. Thank you for correcting that.

Misty-Bug

thank you all soo much, Im really learning a lot here!:)

this is a GREAT place. I have learned SO much here. The people are great too. Sorry I was wrong before. I am glad I was corrected! I WISH I could still have my son RFing but the limits on his seat are 30lbs

NannyMom

I just wanted to add....

RF is always until the weight limits of the seat, OR until there is only 1 inch of carseat shell above the child's head, which ever comes first. Different seats have different rules about which slots can be used for FF or RF. But those are the 2 general rules for all seats :)

:twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC