Question How do I get my toddler in the car seat RF? Having trouble.

CTH3989

This is a weird question. I drive a 1989 Volvo 240DL. It's a 4 door. DS is 21 months and weighs approximately 25lbs. He has a Safety 1st Intera car seat. He has been FF for almost a year and I decided to turn him back to RF. I took the base off of his seat so my DD's base and infant seat (Graco snugride) could fit in the middle beside him.

My question is.. for those of you with toddlers that are ERF on an outside seat, how do you get them in their car seat? I find it very difficult to get DS in the car seat. I have to lift him into a cradle position and put his legs in first and then squeeze his body in.

Are there any tricks/tips? Am I the only person having trouble? Thanks.

Chelci

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Teach him how to climb in. :)

DD has been climbing into her car seats (both RF) for about a year. She's outboard in both of our cars. You'd think that there wouldn't be enough vehicle seat for her to climb up on, but there sure is! Little kids are monkeys and can climb up anything. :p

MomToEliEm

When we used a smaller car, I found that having them climb in themselves was easier.

For the times that I needed them in quickly though (they were not quick when they were allowed to climb in themselves), I would put them in from the other side of the car where I had more room to get in and actually sit down while I buckled them in.

ginny4

i have an intera in a van & OH YES getting him in when he refuses to climb in is a PITA. i hit his head on the door frame LOTS o times. LOL so i threaten the "climb in your seat or i have to put you in & well you might get a boo boo on your head. he will then sometimes just climb in himself.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hey, good for you for even attempting RF again :thumbsup:
Some seats and some cars are definitely easier than others....Doesn't the Intera have pretty deep sides to work around? Is the base still on it? Maybe removing it would make things a little easier for him to climb in himself? How's the recline angle, is the seat too upright?

But in general, I think most of us are just used to the inconvenience...yup, it does take lifting them in like a baby unless they can climb in themselves, and buckling and harness adjustment are more of a pain...it's just something most of us are able to put in the back of our minds because we don't really see there to be any other option (much like stereotypical battles over vegetables and toothbrushing so many parents endure because it's a necessary evil :D)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You could also put him in sort-of sideways (so just lift him up and set him in it with his front/feet facing out the door), then scootch him into place from there.

CTH3989

Thanks for the tips! I did take the base off yesterday and I noticed that there is piece on the back (I don't know how to describe it) that will make it recline a little more. I think I will try to see if I can get it to recline some to make it a little easier. I just think I have a difficutlt car seat. It was given to me so I will use if for now but I really want a Cosco Alpha Omega.

Kat_Momof3

Yep... once Ruthie was over 1yr old, she started climbing (even though we have a van and it's taller) into her own seat in a captain's chair no less!

but when putting her in, I just scooped her and put her in bum first.

I miss those days.

Citrine

I use to have that car! Maybe not that exact one but same model and year. I loved that car, felt so safe. Anyways My daugher will put her self in there and If I have to do it, I put butt in first, then her head. I find it takes a few more moments to buckel her in and to make sure the chest clip is at the right height.

Olivia 4.26.04 37lb 43in Regant, GN
Makayla 9.16.06 25lb 33in RF Wizard

emars002

i have a hard time getting DD2 in any of my cars - she won't voluntarily get in so i kind of put her in sideways and swing her legs around - she doesn't seem bothered by the weird postions i move her in - but it is a workout! If yours will get in themselves, that would probably help a lot - I can't wait until DD climbs in herself!

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I really want a Cosco Alpha Omega.

Just a tip for when you're shopping... the Alpha Omegas have recently been redesigned. Make sure you get one of the new ones with the 50lb harness (the old ones had a 40lb harness.) The new version will last you a lot longer than the old one!

They're not great as booster seats, but they should do your son well as a harnessed seat. :thumbsup:

tash

my daughter climbes in (she is the only one for now so she is still in the middle). but if she is playing with some toy she left on the floor, or trying to climb to the front, or if it is raining and I am tired of getting wet then I will pick her up and kind fold her in half :)lol:) and put her in butt first (legs will follow the butt ;) ). then sometimes she will put her arms through and snap the top part herself too. :D

CTH3989

Thanks ladies! Things have been so much easier since I adjusted the seat and really found out how it works.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, and if you're craving a new carseat, consider one with a built in lockoff so you won't have to use the locking clip anymore! Britax and the True Fit have lockoffs, they are SO nice to install in older cars :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's a clamp on the side of the seat that clips the seatbelt to hold it tight so you don't need a locking clip (on a lap/shoulderbelt, that is, lapbelts lock all by themselves).
If you shop around, you can find the True Fit costs about the same as the Alpha Omega (the new one that goes to 50 pounds, which is way better than the old ones that have a 40 lb limit). But the Intera is fine :)

fyrfightermomma

My 3 year old still won't climb in (rfing) herself yet and she is tall tall tall! I just pick her up and cradle her like a baby, head in first, swing her around and then feet. Then I kinda scrunch her all around to get her settled in correctly. It is getting to be difficult at her height, and I wish she'd learn how to crawl in herself soon!

Awesome job going back to rear facing though. I agree, it may just be that that seat is not very compatible with ERFing and you may have to look into something else without as high of sides.

Good luck!

MissAllyLou

I actually scoop up a 3 year old and put his butt in the seat first, then kinda swing his head around until it's in the seat. It sounds crazy, but I bump his head less when I do it that way!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC