SC's fine for not having a child properly restrained just went from $25 to $150.

ADS

skaterbabs

that's great!!!! I wish VA would follow suit. maybe if the fine was really high people would pay more attention.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
That's an improvement alright. And a proper carseat can be had for less than the new fine, so hopefully this will encourage any scofflaw parents to do the math. Of course, their child's safety and well being is priceless, but this would be additional encouragement and motivation. :)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Ours is only $25 too and it's just a one fine per car, not even per offense. I keep thinking that maybe if the fine went up, our cops would start caring as they care nothing about carseats right now. Yet, the next town over is overflowing w/ cops who are CPST, I like them. :)

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
When did that happen??? It wasnt on the local news last night! What part of SC are you in? I'm in the upstate. Oh i cant wait to see my parents neighbors leave their house 4 kids times 150 dollars equals 600 dollars that outta teach 'em! With the old 25 dollar rule they paid so much they could have easily bought them all boosters now each ticket will buy them each 2 boosters! :)

vamom

What grounds did the Governor give for vetoing ? Yeah, I wish VA would step up. After church on Sunday I went into town and must have passed 5-6 cars that had me upset (5 yr in front seat with belt almost over face and seat reclined half way back, big van with kids in seats but not buckled?, kids crawling around backseats that should be in carseat still, 2yr old in carseat on the edge hanging head out window - no harness). I can understand (I don't condone) people not realizing that their school age child still need to be in a booster. It is not well publicized, the law doesn't always require it (6 in VA, yet many folks still think it is 4 and 40), and so on, BUT what are they thinking with the little ones? There is no excuse for infants and toddlers, yet people do it every day. My friend was just telling me about an unrestrained 2 year old who was ejected and killed this past weekend or so (yet even this was not enough for her to actually properly secure her kids - she has a 20# in a ff with flapping straps and 30# in a booster, but figures something is better then nothing and they don't like to be rf or secure?). However she rode with me this past weekend and her little one was rf, and the older was too tall for the seat that I had rf, so she was ff, both harnesses were correctly done, and there were no objections. The oldest was talking to my child about her seat, and she prefers his seat (spare cheapo evenflo) to her booster! She told her mom that the straps keep her safe, but her mom uses her safety conscienceness as an excuse for why she is ok in a booster...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC